RGV250 VJ22's Swingarm on GK76A?

Forum rules
Please can you post items for sale or wanted in the correct For Sale section. Items / bikes for sale here will be removed without warning. Reasons for this are in the FAQ. Thanks
typhoonoz
Settled in member
Reactions:
RGV250 VJ22's Swingarm on GK76A?

Post by typhoonoz » Tue Sep 08, 2015 3:36 pm

Hi, first off, thank you for reading this post and I would be appreciated any recommendations or ideas.

I used to have an account here, until the site was moved. I'm from Thailand and I have been riding GK76A for almost 10 years. I had switched to bigger models but it didn't work out between us. So I ended up keeping my first bike the whole time.

The thing is; There is a guy giving me a good offer on RGV250 VJ22 swing arm. The set is quite rare to find in Thailand. He said it would fit GK76a perfectly without any mod required. But I am not so sure if it would perfectly fit the bike, regardless of the fact that I have seen both arms, they look close in terms of measurement and length. However, I did not get a chance to compare them thoroughly, just a quick look and compare.

So I am now desperately seeking information and googling if anyone out there has ever tried fitting VJ22 arm onto GK76A. Would you please tell me whether it fits or how to modify to make it fit?

Please help.

PETE

Variablevalves suck
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: GSXR Carb o'ring kits supplied
Re: RGV250 VJ22's Swingarm on GK76A?

Post by Variablevalves suck » Tue Sep 08, 2015 9:05 pm

Hi Pete,
I cannot give a definite yes/know answer but I have seen one fitted and know for a fact that rgv owners use the 400 wheels.
I would think you will need the rear caliper and disc, not sure about the disc but sure the calipers are different.
If you need any measurements I can help as I have a complete minus caliper vj22 swing arm I'm the garage. It's got spindles, axles, suspension so list any measurements you need and I will post.

rgvsp
Settled in member
Reactions:
Bike owned: RGV250SP (VJ23) GSX-R400R

Post by rgvsp » Tue Sep 08, 2015 9:34 pm

I can't give you specifics either but I'll say it is probably a close fit.

Here is a VJ21 with a GK73 arm and the VJ21 is very close to VJ22 dimensions.
http://page.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/202048117

I've fitted a GK73 arm to my GK76 with little fuss.

typhoonoz
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by typhoonoz » Thu Sep 10, 2015 9:37 am

Variablevalves suck wrote:Hi Pete,
I cannot give a definite yes/know answer but I have seen one fitted and know for a fact that rgv owners use the 400 wheels.
I would think you will need the rear caliper and disc, not sure about the disc but sure the calipers are different.
If you need any measurements I can help as I have a complete minus caliper vj22 swing arm I'm the garage. It's got spindles, axles, suspension so list any measurements you need and I will post.

Thank you so much,

I have talked to some local users and they showed me some pics of GK76A with VJ22 swing arm. Most of them shared the same idea; that it would slide in just perfectly without any mod.

Here are some of the pictures I got from the seller yesterday:

Could you please measure the length(From front to back) of the part in this picture for me please? I don't know how to call it in English (not sure if it's called a linkage)

rgvsp wrote:I can't give you specifics either but I'll say it is probably a close fit.

Here is a VJ21 with a GK73 arm and the VJ21 is very close to VJ22 dimensions.
http://page.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/202048117

I've fitted a GK73 arm to my GK76 with little fuss.
Thank you. Could you tell me how you have fitted it in? Did you have to cut or grind which area out?

Variablevalves suck
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: GSXR Carb o'ring kits supplied

Post by Variablevalves suck » Mon Sep 14, 2015 8:17 am

Sorry i don't have the linkage only the tie bars.
Checked part numbers and they are different, i'd expect the RGV to be slightly shorter as the swingarm will be shorter.

rgvsp
Settled in member
Reactions:
Bike owned: RGV250SP (VJ23) GSX-R400R

Post by rgvsp » Mon Sep 14, 2015 8:19 pm

Are you looking for a measurement of the bottom linkage or the dog bones that go vertical and off which swing arm are looking for those measurements?

You might get a perfect fit but I'd be ready of a 1-2mm difference in places. Might require a spacer or a little grinding.

xstian
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by xstian » Sat Sep 19, 2015 6:00 pm

I have a VJ22 and a GK76A. I will have a measure of that part you wanted. If you need any other measurement let me know.

stripes1976
Familiar Member
Reactions:
Bike owned: 6 gk76a's, nc29

Post by stripes1976 » Tue Sep 22, 2015 10:49 pm

The width of the vj22 Swingarm is narrower. When I fitted one I made spacers to fit on the pivot. From memory they are around 3mm thick. I no longer have the bike or the drawings any more. Sorry I can't be more specific.

typhoonoz
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by typhoonoz » Thu Sep 24, 2015 5:55 pm

Thank you so much for good information and advice.

It's very unfortunate that the seller wouldn't be selling it anymore since he was fitting it on his bike already.

Now I'm trying to order an RS250 Swingarm from Japan, hopfully thinking it will fit as I have seen GSX-R1100 fitted with RSV1000 arm.

Without knowing the history of RGV250 and RS250, I can't help noticing that they were designed with many similarities.
That is the reason I think they might just fit in with just some small mods.

I expect the arm will arrive around the middle of October and I will try to fit it on my bike and update here again then.

Thanks again.