alternative shock res

Forum rules
Please can you post items for sale or wanted in the correct For Sale section. Items / bikes for sale here will be removed without warning. Reasons for this are in the FAQ. Thanks
Spike16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: NC30 Road, SV650 Race
alternative shock res

Post by Spike16 » Thu Jul 30, 2009 12:00 am

Hi iv got an nc30 shock with the seperate res and was thinking would putting a res with compression adjustment on work? like that on the rs 250 shock?

this seems like a way of getting more adjustment onto the standard shock thats designed for the bike, just get it referbed and setup for my weight

Just trying to get around spending £150 odd on a shock that is still only an OEM quality shockb (rs shock)

royster81
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: VFR400R-L NC30 CBR400RR-R NC29
Re: alternative shock res

Post by royster81 » Thu Jul 30, 2009 12:51 am

Spike16 wrote:Just trying to get around spending £150 odd on a shock
you going to have to if you want the bike to handle ! once it's done you'll see the benefits .
It's not having what you want but wanting what you've got....Loud ,Proud and Modified ....

Cammo
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: NC30

Post by Cammo » Thu Jul 30, 2009 2:44 am

My nc30 shock has compression adjustment added, I think the res is off a fireblade or some other Honda model.

This was done to fit into our rules, only honda shocks no later than 2000 were able to be used until last year (it's open to anything now).

If you get this done spike, you might as well get a heavier weight spring (standard is too soft for any track rider - go feel a new bike) and get it refurbed. Add some ride height (either to shock or lower link) and you'll be laughing all the way.
"It's just a ride" Bill Hicks

Spike16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by Spike16 » Thu Jul 30, 2009 1:04 pm

thats what im thinking, rvf linkage, rs res with comp adjustment and rebuilt and setup for my weight

rhory I really dont have a problem with the handleing of my bike at the moment, at oulton yesterday I was racing round with a lad on a race zxr 400, he was pasting me on the straits (getting almost 10m) but every corner I got up with him on the brakes and round outside ont he corner and that bike had a techno flex rear shock and sorted forks I think, + I dont have the money at the moment.

I think il get the res and get in touch with a suspension commpany about getting it fitted and rebuilt

Spike16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by Spike16 » Sat Aug 01, 2009 7:28 pm

ok so iv got in touch with Revs Racing and they said it should go on but they will have to have a look and check its all ok, got the rs res for £10 and quoted £55 + any parts for a rebuild, Im thinking of asking what spring he would recomend and then looking for a bargain one somewere (£50 new).

just a question whats the difference between a re-valve and a rebuild/refresh? and is it worth doing seeing as I weight 60kg , 70 in full kit, which will be about what the shock was designed for, lil japs.

Drunkn Munky
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: NC30 MC21 TZR FZR GSXR RG MITO

Post by Drunkn Munky » Sat Aug 01, 2009 11:38 pm

Spike if you go the rs250 route i have a custom top mount which fits the rs shock without modding it, i also have a purple spring, could be maxton but not sure but it was fitted on a rs shock i had. You can have em for price of postage if your gunna use them, you'll still need to mod your lower mount but thats not hard and get the shock rebuilt, could have it done for £100. Ive run a sorted rs shock on my old road rvf and its a massive improvement, worked well on track too.

Your not too far from surrey are you? Steve jordans is good for suspension rebuilding and setup.

superlite
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: TLS, LB80 x 2

Post by superlite » Mon Aug 03, 2009 10:17 am

and is it worth doing seeing as I weight 60kg , 70 in full kit, which will be about what the shock was designed for, lil japs.
True, but the springs wear and were not 'firm' for track use to start with. Get a new spring.

I'm at the stage where I have to spring (ahem) for some new suspension. I've modded the dog bone, but now that we have new suspension rules in Aus (anything goes), I think the time has come. Money well speant though me thinks. I'll still probably stick with the standard shock and get ride height, a new spring and compression added. I dare say that I wouldn't get anywhere near the limits of a full aftermarket shock.
'Take it to the Back'

Cammo
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: NC30

Post by Cammo » Mon Aug 03, 2009 10:47 am

^ What he said!
Spike16 wrote: just a question whats the difference between a re-valve and a rebuild/refresh? and is it worth doing seeing as I weight 60kg , 70 in full kit, which will be about what the shock was designed for, lil japs.
A revalve assumes that your shock is in very good condition and that the spring rate is correct.

The nc30 shock was designed for road use, for track use you need something more.

The standard spring and 15+ year old shock is desperately lacking these days on the track.
"It's just a ride" Bill Hicks

Spike16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by Spike16 » Tue Aug 04, 2009 2:11 pm

res has arrived and its in very good nick and only cost £10 posted so no biggy if it dosnt fit

how much will a new spring cost and what weight should I get, Im 70kg in full riding gear

mrdidlydingo
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: NC29, 30, 35, RDLC, GSXR

Post by mrdidlydingo » Tue Aug 04, 2009 2:24 pm

Kevin ? at revs will be able to help you out with shock spring weights, and with regard to rebuild / refresh this should automatically et done if you have the shock revalved as they need to adjust the number of shims in the stack which means stripping the shock so new seals / new oil will be needed.