fancy fuel guage

A place to bang on about subjects close to your heart that affect us all as 400cc riders. general banter is rife, however rudeness and abuse seem to be the norm, If a bit wet round the ears best go play elsewhere. Auto pruning of items 31 days and older
buzzawak
Settled in member
Reactions:
fancy fuel guage

Post by buzzawak » Sat Jun 30, 2018 8:14 am

My 1989 FZR400 has a fuel tap with a reserve and that's all, no fuel gauge or reserve light.
Now I could possible install a sensor and gauge from a later model but that would be too easy.

I am just wondering if there is something out there that can be put inline that measures fuel flow and gives out a digital signal ?
You never know if you don't ask! :?

Neosophist
Moderators
Moderators
Reactions:
Bike owned: ZXR400 / VFR400
Re: fancy fuel guage

Post by Neosophist » Mon Jul 02, 2018 3:27 pm

easiest answer is change your riding style as fuel gauge isnt really necessary with simple planning.

work out how many miles the bike does from full to reserve and youll know how many you have left... you probably have 50 miles or more left on reserve anyway to get to a fuel station... good for all but the most remote of places.

fuel gauges usually relay on a flaot in the tank which means drilling a hole, mounting it etc etc.. long / expensive / complicated for something that isnt really needed.. my fireblade doesnt have a reserve just a warning light that comes on (same thing as reserve thoguh as its telling you to fill up).

when it stops switch to reserve and go find a fuel station
xivlia wrote:i dont go fast on this bike so really do not need a rear brake.. /
vic-vtrvfr wrote:Ask xivlia for help, he's tackled just about every problem u could think of...

buzzawak
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by buzzawak » Wed Jul 04, 2018 11:55 am

Neosophist wrote:
Mon Jul 02, 2018 3:27 pm
easiest answer is change your riding style as fuel gauge isnt really necessary with simple planning.

work out how many miles the bike does from full to reserve and youll know how many you have left... you probably have 50 miles or more left on reserve anyway to get to a fuel station... good for all but the most remote of places.
Thanks Newsophist, great idea. Silly me up til now I have been running out of fuel and just leaving the bike by the side of the road. :lol:
The point is I want to make my bike fancy like.

Neosophist
Moderators
Moderators
Reactions:
Bike owned: ZXR400 / VFR400

Post by Neosophist » Thu Jul 05, 2018 1:56 pm

fancy? then fit brembo brakes, ohlins shocks, hydraulic clutch if it takes your fancy, quick shift, programmable igition box.

somethign that actually does somethign to the bike :P
xivlia wrote:i dont go fast on this bike so really do not need a rear brake.. /
vic-vtrvfr wrote:Ask xivlia for help, he's tackled just about every problem u could think of...

NGneer
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: x3 NC30,Matchless G80s AJS16ms

Post by NGneer » Fri Jul 06, 2018 8:10 am

Neosophist wrote:
Thu Jul 05, 2018 1:56 pm
fancy? then fit brembo brakes, ohlins shocks, hydraulic clutch if it takes your fancy, quick shift, programmable igition box.

I am with you Neo, but everyone has different tastes, and I guess it would be boring if we were all the same.

With regard to a fuel gauge the easiest solution I can think of would be something from a later model as you have mentioned.

Second choice would be a very basic float/mechanical gauge. This would involve finding the right length gauge (or getting a longer one and modifying it to fit), then cutting a hole in the top of your tank to fit it. Could be made to work and with a small gauge and some effort could potentially look fairly tidy.

Your other option is some form of capacitance tube fitted inside the tank and a calibrated for the levels therein. As the bike has no fuel gauge you would then have to either fit and additional fuel gauge somewhere or swap out the whole clock cluster for some form of digital (Koso?) read out that could possibly receive and display the signal from the sender unit in the tank. Unless you are a bit of a whizz with elctrics I would not recommend this option...but it is up to you.

Keep us posted if you do add a gauge as new ideas are always interesting to see ;)

buzzawak
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by buzzawak » Fri Jul 06, 2018 8:18 am

How clever is that mechanical gauge.

This is a air/fuel ratio display I embedded in the original taco.

There is a small temp gauge just to the right of the taco, I may end up putting a combination temp/fuel gauge in there.
Last edited by buzzawak on Fri Jul 06, 2018 11:21 am, edited 4 times in total.

buzzawak
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by buzzawak » Fri Jul 06, 2018 8:19 am

Neosophist wrote:
Thu Jul 05, 2018 1:56 pm
Well my fizzer is a street bike so haven't done much.
* Full rebuilt 600 engine in a fzr400 frame
* rebuilt forks (re-chromed, cartridge emulators and custom springs from Sonic Springs
* r6 front brake calipers, master cylinder and clip-ons
* Modified R6 headers
* Dyna ignition coils
* 520 chain and sprockets
* rebuilt r6 rear shock
* hand made radiator gill
* And to make it look fancy a air/fuel ratio digital display built into the OEM taco.

Don't need any of the track stuff.

CB1pod70
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:

Post by CB1pod70 » Mon Jul 09, 2018 12:41 pm

Do you have any more details on how you made & fitted the AFR gauge - something I've always fancied looking into (but not necessarily permanently fixed to the bike)

buzzawak
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by buzzawak » Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:41 pm

CB1pod70 wrote:
Mon Jul 09, 2018 12:41 pm
Do you have any more details on how you made & fitted the AFR gauge - something I've always fancied looking into (but not necessarily permanently fixed to the bike)
This is the unit I got but mine is 4 years old now and still going strong, so a good design.
http://www.wide-band.com/APSX-D1G1-Wide ... x_d1g1.htm
Great value for the price.

Evilchicken0
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: Bimota SB6 Yamaha FZR 3TJ x2

Post by Evilchicken0 » Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:22 pm

Just reset your trip odometer when you fill up, you have 140 mile range.

Return to “General Discussion”