somethings wrong....

Forum rules
Please can you post items for sale or wanted in the correct For Sale section. Items / bikes for sale here will be removed without warning. Reasons for this are in the FAQ. Thanks
NC24Doug
Settled in member
Reactions:
somethings wrong....

Post by NC24Doug » Wed May 16, 2018 3:58 pm

Hi guys

Last week i noticed that my NC24 frame was too hot to touch after a half hour ride, the temp gauge was about half way so didn't think too much of it(this may not be related to today's issue), went out for a long ride today and towards the end of the ride the engine breaking was extreme (it has always been a bit jerky at low revs), this went on for a few miles before the engine died, tried to turn it over and the starter motor made some horrible noises and the rev counter was going up to 5000 RPM although the engine wasn't turning over, then battery ran out of juice, tried to bump it and the back wheel locked, at this point i thought bugger it's seized, i did note that the engine wasn't anywhere near as hot as it had been previously.

i was fortunate that a passing stranger lived round the corner and had a trailer and was kind enough to take me home,

having got home, it is trying to turn over and the starter motor has stopped making horrible noises, i am currently waiting for the battery to charge but i'm concerned there is a bigger problem.

sorry for the long post but i'm stumped on this one.

SevenThreeSeven
Settled in member
Reactions:
Re: somethings wrong....

Post by SevenThreeSeven » Wed May 16, 2018 4:19 pm

sounds like it could be an electrical problem, the Rectifier/Regulator is usually mounted directly to the aluminum of the frame so it can easily conduct away the waste heat it creates. if some sort of electrical system malfunction is making the R/R work really hard that could explain the hot frame and the other odd behavior.

NC24Doug
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by NC24Doug » Wed May 16, 2018 4:44 pm

i have recently replaced the stator coils (second hand) and the reg(new) although i wasn't paying attention when i bought it and realised when it turned up 3 weeks later it was a cheap Chinese part. i have just started the bike with no problems but the charging system is not working. i'm going to check the coils to make sure they are still OK. if they are i'll replace the reg and order a decent one.

Neosophist
Moderators
Moderators
Reactions:
Bike owned: CBR954

Post by Neosophist » Wed May 16, 2018 5:44 pm

Think you found the issue of failed reg/rec.

The whole system works in tandem and a weak park will fry it.

1. The battery needs to be decent.. if its old / weak / been over charged the reg/rec wont be able to charge it and will dump a lot of heat trying to charge it and kill the reg/rec.. it may also overload the coils (they are designed with a duty cycle in mind to charge a good battery not a dead one)

2. the reg/rec coils obviously need to be good.

3. bad earths can also cause electrical issue, the nc24 only has a couple.

i fitted a gsxr reg/rec.. a lot beefier and was easy enough to do, any changes you make to the plug need to be soldered.
xivlia wrote:i dont go fast on this bike so really do not need a rear brake.. /
vic-vtrvfr wrote:Ask xivlia for help, he's tackled just about every problem u could think of...

NC24Doug
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by NC24Doug » Wed May 16, 2018 8:03 pm

thanks Neo,

the battery charges on mains and holds charge, so i don't think there is anything wrong with it, is there anyway i can confirm this?

i think a new reg will fix it and ill double check the coils to be safe.

magg
Reactions:
Bike owned: VFR400

Post by magg » Thu May 17, 2018 5:09 am

You have measured the battery voltage, now that you have got the engine running, to confirm no charge from the system? You could use the document from the home page document library to check your charging system, paying particular attention to the condition of the wiring connections. Does the rect/reg have a metallic base, if so did to apply thermal transfer compound before mounting as it helps remove heat. The rect/reg without a metallic base are for low output alternators on small bikes and not really suitable for vfr.

To check your battery first give it a full charge and then run the headlights without the engine running while monitoring the battery voltage. You should get at least half an hour use and the battery voltage should remain above 10volts. Having had the battery discharge until the ignition became erratic, which is why your bike stopped, may have reduced its performance in the long term.

NC24Doug
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by NC24Doug » Thu May 17, 2018 7:02 pm

so... just to update you turns out it was just a loose connector and the reg had come disconnected from the loom.....

though still concerned about some of the symptoms not sure these are related to a dead battery

magg
Reactions:
Bike owned: VFR400

Post by magg » Thu May 17, 2018 10:53 pm

Disconnected rect/reg will result in no charge and as the battery voltage drops various electrical devices will mal-funtion, eg gauges go haywire, ignition misfire. Eventually battery voltage becomes so low that ignition comes to a complete stop and engine will not crank.

Neosophist
Moderators
Moderators
Reactions:
Bike owned: CBR954

Post by Neosophist » Fri May 18, 2018 6:26 am

yep as magg has already put, inccorect voltages from either under or over-charge will cause all sorts of things to go haywire.

The headlight test is a good way of checking battery capacity.

You can also take it to an auto-shop and get them to use a battery load tester on it.

You can also further check the battery by charging it up fully, let it sit a couple of hours for the float charge to go away and not the voltage.. leave it off the bike unconnected for a couple of days and re-check the voltage, if its gone down quite a bit there is probably an internal short discharging the battery.
xivlia wrote:i dont go fast on this bike so really do not need a rear brake.. /
vic-vtrvfr wrote:Ask xivlia for help, he's tackled just about every problem u could think of...