RGV 250 gurus/owners out there? Advice wanted

A place to bang on about subjects close to your heart that affect us all as 400cc riders. general banter is rife, however rudeness and abuse seem to be the norm, If a bit wet round the ears best go play elsewhere. Auto pruning of items 31 days and older
NGneer
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: x2 1991 NC30, x1 Matchless G80
RGV 250 gurus/owners out there? Advice wanted

Post by NGneer » Mon Mar 12, 2018 5:55 pm

So whilst out on the NC30 the other day I spotted a bike dealership and, as the hands were getting a bit cold, decided to pop in for a quick browse and warm up.

Sadly it was a Kawasaki dealership so nothing much flicking my switch, until I spotted this tucked away in the corner.

Ok I know it is not a 400, .......but it is an 80s headbanger, so let me off :drool:

From what I can work out I think this is an early VJ21 model - probably 1988.

It looks in very good original condition, and they are asking 3990 Euros - so about 3500 good English pounds. Doesn't seem bad to me, but I am very out of touch and the comedy of Ebay is my only real bench mark for pricing.

Anyone got one, had one, knows the current market, thoughts etc

Thank you

:rocks:

jim157
Moderators
Moderators
Reactions:
Bike owned: A few small ones
Re: RGV 250 gurus/owners out there? Advice wanted

Post by jim157 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:49 am

That's an 89 euro K model. The price is a bit high imo, as depending on how long its been sitting around it might need a full rebuild.
I'd definitely have another: fun but a bit fragile. I much prefer these earlier models to later banana ones, as these are a bit lighter and seem a bit more "pure".
AUTOEXEC.TWAT

jim157
Moderators
Moderators
Reactions:

Post by jim157 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:07 am

This bike has got jp spec drilled discs. I'm pretty sure it's a euro bike though as it hasn't got a steering damper boss on the frame or a rear shock remote reservoir. Plus it's got the euro spec mirrors and indicators.
AUTOEXEC.TWAT

NGneer
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: x2 1991 NC30, x1 Matchless G80

Post by NGneer » Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:16 am

Cheers Jim,

Euro spec would make sense as the bike is in Germany.

"Fun but fragile" is what I remember and what is worrying me a bit. I REALLY don't need another bike at the moment but my last 2T was my RD125 (with 175 big bore kit fitted) and I remember how much fun that 2 stroke buzz was :twisted:

Then again I am no longer 17 and immortal so not sure if the whole 2 stroke thrash happy thing would still work :?

Hmmmmmm - must ponder ;)

CMSMJ1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: NC30-No9, NC27

Post by CMSMJ1 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:25 am

rgv250.co.uk is your friend in this case

Of course it'll need a rebuild and of course it will extract the money from you but it is a cool bike. first bike I ever rode, albeit it up some back streets from the motorbike shop to the lockup.
IMPERATOR REX ANGLORUM

The V4 is the law..

NC30 - No9 > My old mate
2005 ZX10 C1H - It is a beast
KTM Duke 390 - for shits and giggles

jim157
Moderators
Moderators
Reactions:

Post by jim157 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:07 pm

Sorry, by euro spec I meant they are the same as UK bikes. The Japanese bikes have different indicators, mirrors, drilled discs, steering damper mount on the frame and a remote reservoir shock. They are also restricted.

Confusingly enough the Japanese J model is essentially the euro K model but with the above changes. The Japanese k is the euro L model with the bigger carbs and the Japanese L model is the euro m model with the banana swinging arm and the usd forks.

If I was going to shell out on a 250 these days I'd probably go for an nsr but the rgvs are still great little bikes.
AUTOEXEC.TWAT

Variablevalves suck
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: GSXR Carb o'ring kits supplied

Post by Variablevalves suck » Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:43 pm

I had a few back in the early nineties and loved the original ,
never found them fragile and only ever had trouble with the early power valve that becomes loose and then rubs the piston so causing problems,
Loads of aftermarket fixes for this though and we'll documented.

rgstu
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by rgstu » Thu Mar 15, 2018 1:05 pm

Cracking little bikes likewise rgv250 forums the place im on there theres loads of info and aftermarket bits like upgraded powervalves and couger red heads and oil quality is a lot better than back then

Neosophist
Moderators
Moderators
Reactions:
Bike owned: ZXR400 / VFR400

Post by Neosophist » Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:27 pm

jim157 wrote:
Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:07 pm
Sorry, by euro spec I meant they are the same as UK bikes. The Japanese bikes have different indicators, mirrors, drilled discs, steering damper mount on the frame and a remote reservoir shock. They are also restricted.

Confusingly enough the Japanese J model is essentially the euro K model but with the above changes. The Japanese k is the euro L model with the bigger carbs and the Japanese L model is the euro m model with the banana swinging arm and the usd forks.

If I was going to shell out on a 250 these days I'd probably go for an nsr but the rgvs are still great little bikes.
i'd buy an aprillia rs250... my favourite of the 250 2ts...

raced one a year or two ago on my cbr250 and for some reason i had the edge though, lighter rider perhaps?
xivlia wrote:i dont go fast on this bike so really do not need a rear brake.. /
vic-vtrvfr wrote:Ask xivlia for help, he's tackled just about every problem u could think of...

Return to “General Discussion”