Mystery hole / bolt

A place to bang on about subjects close to your heart that affect us all as 400cc riders. general banter is rife, however rudeness and abuse seem to be the norm, If a bit wet round the ears best go play elsewhere. Auto pruning of items 31 days and older
NGneer
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: x2 1991 NC30, x1 Matchless G80
Mystery hole / bolt

Post by NGneer » Sat Mar 10, 2018 4:38 pm

Just about to start prepping the (spare) engine for my NC30 project build, and I spot a sheared bolt.

I was pondering wether to try and get hold of it with mole grips and turn it clockwise to keep it coming through the hole and out that way, or to drill it and easy-out it. Not sure how much (if any) of a plain shank the bolt had, which would be important if it try keep it coming through clockwise.

I couldn't identify the bolt on the schematics so went to look at my other bike to identify the bolt in question, and there is nothing fitted in this hole (either side).

These are substantial mounting point on the main engine casing so my question to the wider 400GB collective is - what the hell are these holes for? :?

Dynamohum
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Re: Mystery hole / bolt

Post by Dynamohum » Sat Mar 10, 2018 11:33 pm

Thats a frame mount on rvf unless theres been a crash bung snapped/sheared at some point in bikes history ?

Dynamohum
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by Dynamohum » Sat Mar 10, 2018 11:50 pm

Come to think about r&g non drill bungs utilised that mount on nc30 cases saved many a front head mount 😊

NGneer
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by NGneer » Sun Mar 11, 2018 9:58 am

Dynamohum, a broken R&G crash bung was also all I could think off to be honest.

It just seems strange that Honda would go to so much effort to cast and thread x2 substantial mounting points.....and not use them?

Oh well, I will have a go at removing it (just for completeness) but it is not so important if it turns out to be a total b*****d.

Dynamohum
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by Dynamohum » Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:34 am

Those mounts are deffo used in nc35 only thing i can think why they are there on nc30 is perhaps upper case was used on nc24 ?

bikemonkey
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: 92 NC30, 90 VFR750

Post by bikemonkey » Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:00 pm

I'd leave that well alone if you're not wanting to fit bungs.

Stuck bolts can cause more headaches than worth

Neosophist
Moderators
Moderators
Reactions:
Bike owned: ZXR400 / VFR400

Post by Neosophist » Tue Apr 10, 2018 4:17 am

Dynamohum wrote:
Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:34 am
Those mounts are deffo used in nc35 only thing i can think why they are there on nc30 is perhaps upper case was used on nc24 ?
xivlia wrote:i dont go fast on this bike so really do not need a rear brake.. /
vic-vtrvfr wrote:Ask xivlia for help, he's tackled just about every problem u could think of...

NGneer
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by NGneer » Wed Apr 11, 2018 6:27 pm

Cheers all.

It will be getting a damn good ignoring in that case ;)

Neosophist
Moderators
Moderators
Reactions:
Bike owned: ZXR400 / VFR400

Post by Neosophist » Fri Apr 13, 2018 8:54 pm

NGneer wrote:
Sat Mar 10, 2018 4:38 pm
Just about to start prepping the (spare) engine for my NC30 project build, and I spot a sheared bolt.

I was pondering wether to try and get hold of it with mole grips and turn it clockwise to keep it coming through the hole and out that way, or to drill it and easy-out it. Not sure how much (if any) of a plain shank the bolt had, which would be important if it try keep it coming through clockwise.

I couldn't identify the bolt on the schematics so went to look at my other bike to identify the bolt in question, and there is nothing fitted in this hole (either side).

These are substantial mounting point on the main engine casing so my question to the wider 400GB collective is - what the hell are these holes for? :?
It looks like it is drilled for the Oil cooler? UK NC30 engine or is it an NC24 engine?
xivlia wrote:i dont go fast on this bike so really do not need a rear brake.. /
vic-vtrvfr wrote:Ask xivlia for help, he's tackled just about every problem u could think of...

Return to “General Discussion”