Need Help with my Cylinderhead.

Forum rules
Please can you post items for sale or wanted in the correct For Sale section. Items / bikes for sale here will be removed without warning. Reasons for this are in the FAQ. Thanks
Crazy_German
Settled in member
Reactions:
Bike owned: CBR 400 RR NC29
Need Help with my Cylinderhead.

Post by Crazy_German » Mon Oct 17, 2011 9:18 pm

Hi there,

I´m about to finish my overhauled engine but today I got a problem like somebody hit my balls with an big hammer.

Today I tried to install my Cylinderhead on my NC29. Its an R model. And today I have to let it just a trie.
I worked after haynes manual and that says that R model heads should be tightend with 34 NM. I used the torque wrench I use at my work (I´m a mechanic for Caterpillar engines.) But after tightening the first 4 central head-nuts I went to number 5 (in cross way) and this stud got ripped of when i tried to tighten it with the 34 nm. now the Nut hangs in the head with about 2 cm auf the of-ripped stud an I cant take it out of the head. (its on a place were you have to slot the nut into the head.

Iv´ve let the Studs in the Crankcase but I were very carefully with them when handeling the crankcase half and I don´t know why that one now got ripped of.

Do the Studs have to get renewed when dismounting an remounting the head?
Or what was the fault i´ve done?

And has anybody an Idea how I get out the ripped of stud with the head.

Regards, Crazy_German

blueflag
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Re: Need Help with my Cylinderhead.

Post by blueflag » Thu Oct 20, 2011 7:44 pm

Maybe it was damaged before you got the bike?
It would be possible to helicoil the head I suppose but by your description the main problem is getting the stud out. Could you get a small hand grinder in and cut it down to allow you to lift it out?
Good luck.

Crazy_German
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by Crazy_German » Tue Nov 15, 2011 5:12 pm

Hi there,

again I need the help from this forum. I finally got the worn stud out of my cylinder head but now comes the next problem: I ordered 12 new cylinder head studs cause they are are only one-time-use types. So my honda dealer deliverd me 10 new studs and sai the 2 ones that miss will come a few days later. Now they called me and said that the studs didn´t get produced by honda japan any longer and they are not available europe-wide.

So I need this two studs for an NC29 400 RR-R cylinder head. the honda part number is: 90031-MV4-000 they are M8x96mm.

So if anybody got two of those studs It wold be great to pm me. For shure I will pay for them, just make me an offer!

thanks

DK-Tandy
Reactions:
Bike owned: CBR400RR NC23

Post by DK-Tandy » Tue Nov 15, 2011 6:30 pm

cant you just buy some same size bolts? They don't have to be from honda do they?

blueflag
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by blueflag » Tue Nov 15, 2011 7:56 pm

:plus:
Chop down a couple of high tensile bolts to length. Make sure they are high tensile though....

Crazy_German
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by Crazy_German » Wed Nov 16, 2011 4:39 pm

@ Dk-Tandy: No I can´t use other studs cause that are special ones for the hat. the studs are like jackscrews. and that is the reaseon why that have to be honda original parts.

tanuki
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: CCM404 SM, CBR4/6 in progress

Post by tanuki » Fri Nov 18, 2011 7:43 am

are you on about the bolts that hold the cylinder head down or the bolts that holds the cam cover down?

Crazy_German
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by Crazy_German » Fri Nov 18, 2011 2:08 pm

@ tanuki: I mean the studs that hold down the cylinderhead on the cylinderblock. NOT the bolts that holds down the cams.

lizard821000
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: nsr ,cagiva mito , vfr 400 R3L

Post by lizard821000 » Fri Nov 18, 2011 6:35 pm

tanuki
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: CCM404 SM, CBR4/6 in progress

Post by tanuki » Fri Nov 18, 2011 6:54 pm

Who told you that you can't reuse the original ones?

I've had heads off a few times and always reused the bolts just use the correct torque settIngs.