Oily plugs - fix or sell up?

Forum rules
Please can you post items for sale or wanted in the correct For Sale section. Items / bikes for sale here will be removed without warning. Reasons for this are in the FAQ. Thanks
Suzuki416
Familiar Member
Reactions:
Bike owned: 3 x NC35, 3x NC24, NC29, RC46
Re: Oily plugs - fix or sell up?

Post by Suzuki416 » Sat Oct 17, 2020 12:26 am

So that puts you nearish to me then - lol - West London...

Also happy to help.

Foxy400
Reactions:
Bike owned: NC35 NC29 Bonneville CBR600F4i

Post by Foxy400 » Sat Oct 17, 2020 3:53 pm

The last fairing panel I got was the rear, left tail section, about 18 months ago. It was the last one I needed. It was in pretty much perfect condition except it had been painted yellow! Fortunately (for me) the seller didn't know which bike it was from and no-one else bid on it, so I got it for £15 + p&p. Bargain!
It's with the spray painter at the moment, in Altrincham. I've ordered stickers from Image Works, near Derby. When they arrive the painter will fit them and I'll have a full set of professionally painted panels. My bike is wearing the Tyga kit and the originals will stay wrapped up for now.

matt74
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by matt74 » Sat Oct 17, 2020 6:23 pm

Good find. The panels I bought were only about 40 quid so not got much to lose. Was thinking about image works too. I keep an eye on eBay for little bits and pieces that might be better condition that what I have. Many years ago I bought 2 new old stock still in box lower fairings, one for each side. Unfortunately one is in 94 colours and the other 96. Original plan was to strip the stickers off the 96 one and get a spare set to match my bike. Wouldn’t do that now though as I don’t want to destroy an original part. Too nice to fit now!

Foxy400
Reactions:
Bike owned: NC35 NC29 Bonneville CBR600F4i

Post by Foxy400 » Tue Oct 20, 2020 12:29 pm

I understand why you don't want to alter the originality of the panel. Why not put them up for sale on here if you're never likely to use them? I'd be interested in the '94 (RR) section if you do.

My NC29 is a Type 1 colour scheme. It's been resprayed and I thought it was a pretty good job. When I stripped the bodywork in preparation for GF's overhaul I discovered 2 left side panels had been damaged and repaired. By coincidence I found a perfect, still-boxed, Type 1 OEM mid-panel on line. I couldn't believe it. We haggled. I bought it. I went to fit it and discovered that the respray is a noticeably darker shade of red. Bollox! Why the fuck did some moron go to the trouble and cost of a respray which is almost, but not quite, the correct colour?! Madness. Sometimes I consider having the whole lot resprayed in the right colours, but then common sense strikes.

Vincent
Settled in member
Reactions:
Bike owned: '89 NC30 T1, '92 NC30 T8

Post by Vincent » Fri Nov 06, 2020 7:21 pm

Oily plugs aren't the end of the world. If it's been sitting it could be something as simple as the rocker cover gasket leaking oil into the spark plug well.
Are the plugs oily from the thread down?
Rocker cover gasket is a very easy replacement.

matt74
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by matt74 » Sun Nov 08, 2020 2:15 pm

Thanks Vincent, you might be on to something. If the bike sits for even a week it’s tricky to fire up. I pulled the rear plugs today and this is what one looked like. The other rear plug wasn’t as bad but had traces of oil all under the washers above the thread. Clean them up, put them back and it fires on the button. Bit rough but then it’s always done that and soon settles.

Suzuki416
Familiar Member
Reactions:
Bike owned: 3 x NC35, 3x NC24, NC29, RC46

Post by Suzuki416 » Sun Nov 08, 2020 2:48 pm

These bikes are ridiculously sensitive on the plugs - they look new

matt74
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by matt74 » Sun Nov 08, 2020 3:19 pm

Yep. New plugs this year.

Vincent
Settled in member
Reactions:
Bike owned: '89 NC30 T1, '92 NC30 T8

Post by Vincent » Sun Nov 08, 2020 6:37 pm

If you wanna be 100% certain you could have a compression test done to eliminate the possibility of piston rings.
But it's a lot more likely to be an old dried out gasket.

Rick O sells gaskets, or you can order from wemoto etc. They aren't too pricey.

CMSMJ1
Moderators
Moderators
Reactions:
Bike owned: NC30-No9

Post by CMSMJ1 » Wed Jun 01, 2022 9:18 pm

Do we reckon it is only the rear left cylinder? It;s not leaking some fuel in from the tap is it? Deffo Oil, thick and smelly, or really runny and more fuel smelling??

Has it ever had a thread repair on that cylinder? Might need looking at properly - carbs off, and a good check as to whether that thread is sound?
IMPERATOR REX ANGLORUM

The V4 is the law..

NC30 - No9 - my old mate