electrical problem.

Forum rules
Please can you post items for sale or wanted in the correct For Sale section. Items / bikes for sale here will be removed without warning. Reasons for this are in the FAQ. Thanks
skinn63
Settled in member
Reactions:
electrical problem.

Post by skinn63 » Sun Jul 12, 2020 12:37 pm

hi,i have a small issue with my charging system. Ive checked the the stator and its fine ive checked the reg/rec and that is also fine, the wire from the reg/rec that goes into the loom i assume is broken, on closer inspection i can not find the 30amp main fuse would it be possible to wire the reg/rec straight to the battery? i have 14.1v coming out of the reg/rec thanks andy

kagari15
Settled in member
Reactions:
Bike owned: FZR400 3EN1
Re: electrical problem.

Post by kagari15 » Wed Jul 15, 2020 1:25 pm

According to the wiring diagram, the regulator/rectifier output goes before the main fuse.

Never jump the fuse! The fuse is there to protect against worse-case short circuit situations, and much care with reg/rec units, if they ever fail they will cook the battery or the reverse happens.

To search for the main fuse, start by tracing the heavy red 'positive' wire from the battery. That connection will split into two wires: the thick one onto the starter relay, and a thinner one connecting to the fuses. It also has a single wire connector.

Depending on the model of the bike there are various locations where the fuses are found. I don't really know where the main fuse location really is, but they are usually located under the seat, as it is where battery power goes through first.

skinn63
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by skinn63 » Wed Jul 15, 2020 2:08 pm

thank you,i have still not found the main fuse lol. so i have put a wire from the reg/rec to the battery with a 30 amp holder and fuse,the wire 12 gauge.so far so good.i tested it ,14 v across the battery went for a run around 20 k then tested again only 13 v.whats that all about lol.

skinn63
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by skinn63 » Wed Jul 15, 2020 2:48 pm

ok so im a knob the last test the lights were on.still just over 14 v with the lights off.

kagari15
Settled in member
Reactions:
Bike owned: FZR400 3EN1

Post by kagari15 » Wed Jul 15, 2020 3:07 pm

It is better if you measure voltage at around 5000 rpm with all lights on. If it drops below 14 volts, I think there is a bit of a problem. Can be wire thickness, but you may use a wire thickness calculator on the web for that.

Other than that, it's all good! Be sure to not leave bare wires exposed, wrap some electrical tape or use heatshrink on them

~Rui

skinn63
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by skinn63 » Wed Jul 15, 2020 3:10 pm

thanks for that.

Evilchicken0
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: Bimota SB6 Yamaha FZR 3TJ x2

Post by Evilchicken0 » Fri Jul 24, 2020 12:45 pm

The main switch is usually under the left tail fairing.