Dogged by a starting fault for years

Forum rules
Please can you post items for sale or wanted in the correct For Sale section. Items / bikes for sale here will be removed without warning. Reasons for this are in the FAQ. Thanks
jo
Moderators
Moderators
Reactions:
Bike owned: NC30
Dogged by a starting fault for years

Post by jo » Sun May 17, 2020 8:25 am

Once upon a time I decided to swap the wiring loom. I can’t remember why now but I know it would’ve been for a good reason!
Since then my bike has been plagued with an intermittent starting problem. I’d be out riding, stop the bike, then start again and nothing on the switch. Absolutely nothing. Then after a few tries it would start.
I swapped the switchgear, cleaned it, checked the connections etc. I also checked the starter solenoid. All seemed fine. But it was still doing it. And did it for years.
So recently I decided to change the starter solenoid as I was very fed up with it.
Went to my brothers and it finally completely died on me. My mechanic (a different one to who I used to use) picked it up and took it to his. Checked the wiring and found a break in it. Very badly burnt out break which apparently could have resulted in a fire!
He fixed it up and hey presto, all fine now.
Wish I’d known how to check the wiring! It was taped up so had definitely been apart before I had it.
Lesson: always take the old insulation tape off and check it before you fit anything that’s second hand!

mechannibalism
Settled in member
Reactions:
Re: Dogged by a starting fault for years

Post by mechannibalism » Sun May 17, 2020 5:53 pm

A radar Tech told me one time electrical tape is used to hide bad connections and it's true......and shrink tube hides good connections!!!

jo
Moderators
Moderators
Reactions:
Bike owned: NC30

Post by jo » Thu May 21, 2020 9:20 pm

Very true

Neosophist
Moderators
Moderators
Reactions:
Bike owned: CBR954

Post by Neosophist » Sun May 24, 2020 5:07 am

seen it before with old looms, fix one and create two more! glad you got to the root cause.

its time consuming but it can be worth doing if you have an old loom to go on something you can test the resistance of the connections between various plugs and if theres a poor connection it will show up, isnt fool proof though as often like there can be some tape hiding a bodge that goes bad over time... good visual inspection too
xivlia wrote:i dont go fast on this bike so really do not need a rear brake.. /
vic-vtrvfr wrote:Ask xivlia for help, he's tackled just about every problem u could think of...

cbr400rrn
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: NC29 CBR600F

Post by cbr400rrn » Sun May 24, 2020 9:32 pm

What is the tape called which covers the loom? i ended up buying some a while ago that was advertised as such but was anything but in the end.

Foxy400
Reactions:
Bike owned: NC35 NC29 Bonneville CBR600F4i

Post by Foxy400 » Wed Jun 10, 2020 12:19 pm

cbr400rrn wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 9:32 pm
What is the tape called which covers the loom? i ended up buying some a while ago that was advertised as such but was anything but in the end.
It's usually called Wiring Harness Loom Tape. There are loads of vids on Youtube and lots of advice & suggestions. Yes many of them are shit and badly made (some people clearly don't review their film before posting it and others have never heard of editing) but there is useful info amongst the crap.