Help with nc29 engine refresh

Forum rules
Please can you post items for sale or wanted in the correct For Sale section. Items / bikes for sale here will be removed without warning. Reasons for this are in the FAQ. Thanks
Asimarkus
Settled in member
Reactions:
Bike owned: NC30RK, NC35RR, NC29
Help with nc29 engine refresh

Post by Asimarkus » Tue Jan 21, 2020 11:19 am

Hi guys, so I decided to rebuild my nc29´s engine as it has 110.000KMs... thing is that one of the conrods has a rare color and would like to replace it, I have more engine spares but the workshop manual says that con rods should go with shame weigh code, could I replace a con rod with a different weigh code? The actual ones have C code and I have others with A and B
Thanks

mechannibalism
Settled in member
Reactions:
Re: Help with nc29 engine refresh

Post by mechannibalism » Tue Jan 21, 2020 6:14 pm

NO! they must all weigh the same, you could get a performance shop to check them over and balance/blue print them.

magg
Reactions:
Bike owned: VFR400

Post by magg » Wed Jan 22, 2020 5:53 am

Not sure if NC29 specs are the same as NC30 but for the NC30 there are a number of options for matching rods to the crank and the rods weights are not necessarily all the same on one crank. I have an NC30 crank with three A and one B weigh rods.

sa.racing
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: NC29 Race

Post by sa.racing » Wed Jan 22, 2020 5:21 pm

Why is it a rare colour? from memory (although it has been a while I'll admit) there are 3 sizes and all are still available from Honda, Have you tried Graeme France? he stocks most of the hard to find parts for these bikes, where are you located?

Also have you measured the oil clearance on the cam journals? they tend to wear out and oval quite easily on these engines and at that mileage that would be the first thing I would check otherwise you could end up spending a fortune refreshing the rest only to find you need to source a new head!

just a heads up (no pun intended ;) ) if you have checked them already then ignore the last bit

Si

Foxy400
Reactions:
Bike owned: NC35 NC29 Bonneville CBR600F4i

Post by Foxy400 » Tue Jan 28, 2020 7:49 pm

I agree with the advice to contact Graeme France. He worked on my NC29 and transformed it. I couldn't believe the difference. He's currently got my NC35. I'd give him a call if I was you, although wait another week or so because he's out of the country at the moment.