Nc30 electrical issues

Forum rules
Please can you post items for sale or wanted in the correct For Sale section. Items / bikes for sale here will be removed without warning. Reasons for this are in the FAQ. Thanks
addyhawth
Settled in member
Reactions:
Re: Nc30 electrical issues

Post by addyhawth » Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:37 pm

Ok so you where correct with the project I was gave a new reproduction switch gear but had the oem one that had seen better days, I’ve switched this over and can confirm that this was the issue with this end.

However The starter switch is still dead,

Neutral wire is connected, and I don’t have a neutral light, Bike is in neutral (rear wheel freely spins)

I’m guessing the clutch wires at lever weren’t wired correctly On repo switch gear so I’ll go back and make sure to reconfigure the plugs to match loom,

I also haven’t or can’t see any wires that would attached to side stand.. I’m guessing this could also be issue

magg
Reactions:
Bike owned: VFR400

Post by magg » Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:39 pm

If you wish to use the new switch just repin the connectors for the correct configuration or try another replacement. No side stand switch on NC30. No neutral light when in neutral suggests either a dud bulb or dud switch. A dud or missing diode will make the neutral switch ineffective. The two wires to the clutch switch can simply be linked together and the start button should function, make sure the bike is in neutral.

addyhawth
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by addyhawth » Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:30 pm

Managed to sort it Magg!

I’ve learned a lot, and the feeling of accomplishment is something else!!!

Thanks for your input! It’s greatly appreciated

Vincent
Settled in member
Reactions:
Bike owned: '89 NC30 T1, '92 NC30 T8

Post by Vincent » Mon Feb 03, 2020 2:49 am

magg wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:28 am
Three yellow wires in the loom are alternator output to rect/reg. Are you saying there is no continuity between connectors. The contacts and wires are known to be an issue from overload.

Headlight flashing with pass button pressed suggests that the handlebar connectors are wired incorrectly or the connectors are incorrectly plugged into the loom, although they should be keyed differently. Do the other headlight function operate correctly ie headlight ON, high beam ON, etc.
Carefully check the connector where those 3 yellow wires plug into the loom. It's common for that connector to overheat and melt due to increased resistance from corrosion on the contacts.

Err, when I hit my pass button it flashes the headlight high beams. I thought that this was normal, are there NC30s that flash indicators when you hit the pass button? Weird.