Nc30 electrical issues

Forum rules
Please can you post items for sale or wanted in the correct For Sale section. Items / bikes for sale here will be removed without warning. Reasons for this are in the FAQ. Thanks
addyhawth
Settled in member
Reactions:
Nc30 electrical issues

Post by addyhawth » Mon Jan 13, 2020 11:37 pm

Long story short I’m putting together an NC30 out of boxes, I’ve currently fitted the loom / new battery and unfortunately I appear to be getting some issues.

When the ignition is on I get the oil light, but everything else is dead, If I press the passing button on the switch gear the headlights will flash and you can hear the indicator relay clicking...

I have very limited knowledge on electrics so please go easy on me!

Tests I’ve ran so far -

Screw driver over the starter solenoid - starter motor spins and engages (no issues)

I’ve replaced the 30amp main fuse

I’ve replaced all fuses in the fuse box

I’ve cleaned all grounds (and connected these via wire and back direct to the negative) *just to be sure - no issues

Please any advice is greatly appreciated- I really want to try and do as much as I can, before I give in and ask for a mechanic to sort it..

Thanks in advance

magg
Reactions:
Bike owned: VFR400
Re: Nc30 electrical issues

Post by magg » Tue Jan 14, 2020 3:24 am

Which grounds have you cleaned, there are only 2. Loom to chassis and battery -ve terminal to chassis.

addyhawth
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by addyhawth » Tue Jan 14, 2020 6:57 am

magg wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 3:24 am
Which grounds have you cleaned, there are only 2. Loom to chassis and battery -ve terminal to chassis.
Thanks for the reply, I’ve cleaned the one from the negative, one that goes to the rad, and the one that goes to the front coil bracket

magg
Reactions:

Post by magg » Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:07 am

Could you elaborate on "I’ve cleaned all grounds (and connected these via wire and back direct to the negative)".

addyhawth
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by addyhawth » Tue Jan 14, 2020 5:49 pm

magg wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:07 am
Could you elaborate on "I’ve cleaned all grounds (and connected these via wire and back direct to the negative)".
I’ve used a piece of old loom wire , and looped this through the earth ends so it’s tight and ran the cable back to the negative of the battery and connected this in to the negative terminal

I was told that this is the best way to be sure it’s not an earth issue,

Is there anything else I could be doing wrong?

magg
Reactions:

Post by magg » Wed Jan 15, 2020 2:14 am

Better to connect all earths as per normal wiring and work through any issues as they occur. Battery -ve strap to chassis, loom earth to chassis at front coil and the radiator fan switch earth on radiator.

Is loom known to be good. Are all electrical units connected to the loom and known to be good.

When you say "If I press the passing button on the switch gear the headlights will flash and you can hear the indicator relay clicking..." do mean the indicator relay clicksng when pressing the pass button or that the relay clicks when selecting indicators but the lamps do not flash.

addyhawth
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by addyhawth » Wed Jan 15, 2020 8:19 am

Ok I’ll re fit all the earths,

Sorry I ment upon pressing the passing button the headlights flash, instead of the indicators

I’ve checked continuity at separate plugs , one plug had none , with 3 yellow wires on main loom , The rest where ok,

Unfortunately I don’t no the history of the loom

magg
Reactions:

Post by magg » Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:28 am

Three yellow wires in the loom are alternator output to rect/reg. Are you saying there is no continuity between connectors. The contacts and wires are known to be an issue from overload.

Headlight flashing with pass button pressed suggests that the handlebar connectors are wired incorrectly or the connectors are incorrectly plugged into the loom, although they should be keyed differently. Do the other headlight function operate correctly ie headlight ON, high beam ON, etc.

addyhawth
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by addyhawth » Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:59 am

It’s a new switch gear unless there’s a fault with it , I have the original I’ll swap this and see if that cures it,

I’m 99% all connectors are in correct places as I’ve matched the wire colours

Although what would be causing the starter button not to work as this is separate from headlight switch?

magg
Reactions:

Post by magg » Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:18 am

You need a functioning clutch switch, neutral switch and clutch diode. You did not mention that the neutral light was illuminating.