NC24 WILL NOT START IN THis COLD WEATHER FROM UK

Forum rules
Please can you post items for sale or wanted in the correct For Sale section. Items / bikes for sale here will be removed without warning. Reasons for this are in the FAQ. Thanks
Snowyjr69nc24
Settled in member
Reactions:
NC24 WILL NOT START IN THis COLD WEATHER FROM UK

Post by Snowyjr69nc24 » Tue Nov 19, 2019 2:54 pm

:oops: can't seem to get the bloody thing started now the weather has gone colder just seems to flood itself, was working perfectly fine in the warmer weather could this be the jets in the carbs set up. For summer?? Stumped had fresh oil new spark plugs was ticking over mint in summer now just won't fire

richyrd5
Reactions:
Re: NC24 WILL NOT START IN THis COLD WEATHER FROM UK

Post by richyrd5 » Tue Nov 19, 2019 7:58 pm

If it's flooded a few times the plugs will need either a good clean or possibly a new set..they hate getting wet these engines/plugs...check air filter to,as it could be dirty

Snowyjr69nc24
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by Snowyjr69nc24 » Tue Nov 19, 2019 10:01 pm

I will try cleaning them but they are new with ht leads only done like 200miles this summer just like to keep it runing over winter even if I'm not riding it

magg
Reactions:
Bike owned: VFR400

Post by magg » Wed Nov 20, 2019 12:01 am

it cranks and does not fire up or it cranks and tries to fire up but not enough to start running?

Snowyjr69nc24
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by Snowyjr69nc24 » Wed Nov 20, 2019 9:26 pm

It's turns over fires up For a few secs then dies, after that just turns over won't start, really strange cos in summer it was one turn fire up and was runing fine 🤦‍♂️

magg
Reactions:
Bike owned: VFR400

Post by magg » Thu Nov 21, 2019 11:47 am

Spark plugs come out wet with fuel? How long ago was last successful start-up. Sounds more like fuel starvation. Fuel tank vent blocked, vacuum fuel tap faulty or vacuum hose perished.

Foxy400
Reactions:
Bike owned: NC35 NC29 Bonneville CBR600F4i

Post by Foxy400 » Sun Nov 24, 2019 11:54 am

Snowyjr69nc24 wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 10:01 pm
I will try cleaning them but they are new with ht leads only done like 200miles this summer just like to keep it runing over winter even if I'm not riding it
There's a mention in the Dec issue of Practical Sportsbike about running a bike over winter when it's not actually being used. "Some like to fire their bikes up once every few weeks in winter, but it's a bad idea". Among other things it can mess up plugs and introduce condensation to the oil and exhaust system that won't fully clear (it says here). They recommend prepping it for storage, then recommissioning in the spring.

I know this doesn't really help you but might be useful for future reference.

Snowyjr69nc24
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by Snowyjr69nc24 » Sun Dec 29, 2019 9:20 pm

Iv ended up taking it apart i have a few problems s fuel leaking out of the carb over flow and out of the fuel line split to each carb I think I'm gona strip it down again and try source some carb kits and redo the carbs anyone got any links for carb kits??

Johannes
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by Johannes » Sat Jan 04, 2020 3:45 pm

Hey, panic not. mine is exactly the same. I dont ride it in the winter but start it from time to time. Heres what i do.

Get a cheap 2kw elec heater, set the front wheel to the right and position the heater on its side on a bucket and direct the warm air flow over the front cyclinder and radiator for about 30 mins. Check that no plastics are getting too hot.

Mine fires on all 4 on the first push of the starter button using this method. Yet at an ambient temperature of 5 degrees I can only get 1 cylinder to kick in and the battery starts to die before the others will fire into life and of course there's a chance that they've flooded in the meantime.... If they're not used on a daily basis NC24's seem to be like this.

Spanners away, heater out!

Foxy400
Reactions:
Bike owned: NC35 NC29 Bonneville CBR600F4i

Post by Foxy400 » Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:55 pm

Johannes wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 3:45 pm
Hey, panic not. mine is exactly the same. I dont ride it in the winter but start it from time to time. Heres what i do.

Get a cheap 2kw elec heater, set the front wheel to the right and position the heater on its side on a bucket and direct the warm air flow over the front cyclinder and radiator for about 30 mins. Check that no plastics are getting too hot.

Mine fires on all 4 on the first push of the starter button using this method. Yet at an ambient temperature of 5 degrees I can only get 1 cylinder to kick in and the battery starts to die before the others will fire into life and of course there's a chance that they've flooded in the meantime.... If they're not used on a daily basis NC24's seem to be like this.

Spanners away, heater out!
I assume you've got it on an Optimate (other trickle chargers are available) when it's not being used, especially during cold weather.