NC29 L (1991) looking for plusher & firmer fork

Forum rules
Please can you post items for sale or wanted in the correct For Sale section. Items / bikes for sale here will be removed without warning. Reasons for this are in the FAQ. Thanks
Capelo
Settled in member
Reactions:
NC29 L (1991) looking for plusher & firmer fork

Post by Capelo » Fri Oct 18, 2019 9:54 pm

Hello everyone,

I am new around here and recently got my first NC29, a 1991 red/grey/black, with the old push rod forks and a CBR600 shock.

I am sure this topic has been covered a million times, but have not managed to find the specific thread, so apologies before hand.

I am super happy with the bike, but it dives a under the brakes a tad too much for my liking. I am no feather weight at 80kg (surely a bit heavier than the Japanese chaps it was directed to), so looking for suggestions on how to make the front end a bit firmer, and hopefully plusher.

Looking around GF’s website I see that they stock both spring sets and Race Tech valve emulators. So was wondering if anyone here had put either of those, or any other alternative, in their bikes and could share their views.

I use the bike both as a commuter and for weekend rides (no track use), in case helpful.

Many thanks in advance,

Jose

magg
Reactions:
Bike owned: VFR400
Re: NC29 L (1991) looking for plusher & firmer fork

Post by magg » Sat Oct 19, 2019 8:51 am

Damper rod forks have a reputation for insufficient low speed compression damping and excessive high speed damping. Cartridge emulators have a reputation for improving this relationship by reducing dive under brakes and improving plushness on bumpy surfaces for minimal cost. Spring rate should be assessed by measurement of the unloaded and loaded sag of the front and rear suspension. A more sophisticated solution could include cartridge fork conversion at greater cost and may need professional assistance if you are not confident doing the work yourself.

Capelo
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by Capelo » Sat Oct 19, 2019 8:45 pm

Many thanks magg. Super helpful!

Do you know of any cartridge conversion kits for the NC29? I have been looking around but haven’t found any. I don’t mind investing in proper suspension as it improves handling and braking dramatically

magg
Reactions:

Post by magg » Sun Oct 20, 2019 4:53 am

Not aware of any kits but you may find complete NC30 forks fit, or cartridges from other forks can be used, GSXR600 units may be suitable. Others on this site may be able to help with dimensions for the forks of various models with cartridge forks. Again a suspension professional may be able to assist.

magg
Reactions:

Post by magg » Sun Oct 20, 2019 7:00 am

CBR400RRR had cartridge forks.

Capelo
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by Capelo » Sun Oct 20, 2019 2:34 pm

Many thanks magg, mine is one of the earlier models with dampen rods. Unfortunately the only ones with cartridge forks were the later R models. Ls and Ns had the dampen rod forks. Will give a ring to GF to see what they suggest.

Thanks a lot for all the help!

sa.racing
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: NC29 Race

Post by sa.racing » Fri Nov 15, 2019 10:02 pm

there are a few options for the CBR's but to be honest the cartridge emulators are the most cost effective and are more than adequate for the NC29 especially if your not looking to do any track riding,

Emulators usually pop up every now and then secondhand for a few quid add £85 - £90 for a set of springs and you've got a very good set up which will be night and day better than stock even at full price for the emulators this is the best value for money

as Magg mentioned the later NC29 RRR came with cartridge forks but these are like rocking horse shit with Hens teeth and pixie dust thrown in for good measure if you can find a set then definitely buy them(depending on the price of course), on my race bike I have a set up made up of early Kawasaki zx6 stanchions (forget which model) which are 10mm longer than stock to allow for chassis geometry changes and fitted with modified CBR 600 F3 cartridges to run Comp damping in the left leg and Reb damping in the right leg but you can kiss goodbye to about £600 for a set up like that which frankly is overkill on the road!

CBR 600 F3 fork swap is another option as the front wheel discs calipers etc are all the same and generally you can find them pretty cheap but the problem is they are about 2 inches longer than the stock NC29 forks and in my opinion looks hideous lol

where are you located?
Si

Capelo
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by Capelo » Sun Dec 15, 2019 9:25 pm

Hi Si.
Massive apologies for the late reply. Totally missed it in my recent visits to the forum. Sorry!!

In the end I got YSS valve emulators and springs from GF. Haven’t had a chance to try the new set up yet, as I am currently in the process of tearing apart, cleaning, replacing worn out parts and all that fun stuff. Having said that, it does feel plushier when pushing down the front end. Let’s see how it goes when she hits the road.

Thanks,

Jose

Suzuki416
Familiar Member
Reactions:
Bike owned: 3 x NC35, 3x NC24, NC29, RC46

Post by Suzuki416 » Mon Dec 16, 2019 9:33 pm

dont forget the cbr600 shock for the rear too - makes a big enough difference to make it worthwhile - GF can assist you with that...

Capelo
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by Capelo » Tue Dec 17, 2019 4:12 pm

Many thanks Suzuki416. My NC29 came with one, so hopefully I have the rear suspension covered.

Will have to check it thoroughly though, in case it needs to be serviced.

Can’t wait to put her back on the road to see how she handles.