3tj with thunder cat engine I am trying to fit an r6instrument cluster and having trouble with the tacho not wanting to

Forum rules
Please can you post items for sale or wanted in the correct For Sale section. Items / bikes for sale here will be removed without warning. Reasons for this are in the FAQ. Thanks
Grandadbelly
Settled in member
Reactions:
3tj with thunder cat engine I am trying to fit an r6instrument cluster and having trouble with the tacho not wanting to

Post by Grandadbelly » Wed Aug 28, 2019 1:42 pm

Hi I have just recently acquired a beautiful 3tj with a very low kilometre engine the guy I got it from bought it as a baker case he got a very low kilometre motor complete with loom he spent years getting it all together when I got it the motor was not running I traced out the wiring and found it was missing a part of the loom l rectified that got it running it had no instrument panel on it at all so I got a r6 panel but try as I may I cant get the tacho to work I pulled the panel of it and tried it on my 3en1wich I have successfully converted with a Bakers electronics tacho dividerthe tacho was proved to be ok but I measured the tacho signal while it was on the 3en1 it measured at 5.6volts after the tach divider I reinstalled it to the 3tj wired the tacho wire from the thunder cat loom yellow with black trace and measured the signal it is 12.5 volts what do I do next if you can think of any thing let me know as I’m having nightmares about it Regards grandadbelly

Grandadbelly
Settled in member
Reactions:
Re: 3tj with thunder cat engine I am trying to fit an r6instrument cluster and having trouble with the tacho not wantin

Post by Grandadbelly » Wed Aug 28, 2019 1:55 pm

Hi I must add the engine is a thundercat one engine no is a 5a prefix and I am trying to covert it using a tach converter from a mob in Australia I believe they import them from the USA the tach divider on my 3en1 is from Bakers electronics but they have closed down Regards grandadbelly

Evilchicken0
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: Bimota SB6 Yamaha FZR 3TJ x2
Re: 3tj with thunder cat engine I am trying to fit an r6instrument cluster and having trouble with the tacho not wantin

Post by Evilchicken0 » Thu Aug 29, 2019 7:07 pm

I have to say I'm not sure how this would work. Personally I'd start with T'Cat clocks to get it working.
Is the bike using a TCat cdi ??? Is the TPS on the carbs connected ???
It might be the the taco is showing a fault code (0 and then 8000 for example)