NC24 Carb Work - Slider Needle Seats

Forum rules
Please can you post items for sale or wanted in the correct For Sale section. Items / bikes for sale here will be removed without warning. Reasons for this are in the FAQ. Thanks
decngb
Settled in member
Reactions:
Bike owned: NC21, NC24, NC30, VFR800, MC19
NC24 Carb Work - Slider Needle Seats

Post by decngb » Wed Jul 31, 2019 2:20 am

I'm really struggling getting one set of NC24 carbs working well. The symptoms were a substantial amount of missing power 5000-8000 RPM. We've swapped around jets, needles, and thoroughly cleaned everything in a big ultrasonic bath.

We noticed the slider needle seats have a bit of an egg-shape to the seating surface. I've now tried replacing those seats with those that came from the cheap Chinese rebuild kits, but now the bike barely develops any power under load. We tried it with the stock needles and with the replacement needles that came with the rebuild kits.

Has anyone had any luck replacing those seats? Are they available from anyone who sells quality products? I'm planning on switching back to the stock seats and needles, and then ordering as much of the carb parts from Rick Oliver as I can get.

Also, there are holes in the sides of the seats, and I'm not quite sure we are lining them up correctly. Does anyone know how they are supposed to be aligned?

decngb
Settled in member
Reactions:
Bike owned: NC21, NC24, NC30, VFR800, MC19
Re: NC24 Carb Work - Slider Needle Seats

Post by decngb » Thu Aug 01, 2019 11:14 pm

I may be the only person who has done this. In any case, apparently the aftermarket seats included in the ebay carb rebuild kits suck. We tried every combination with the replacements, and switching back to the originals seems to be the only thing that makes it run reasonably well.

I'm going to order a few replacement parts from Rick Oliver including the "road needles" and we'll see if I can address the original issues that way.