Back wheel very hard to turn.

Forum rules
Please can you post items for sale or wanted in the correct For Sale section. Items / bikes for sale here will be removed without warning. Reasons for this are in the FAQ. Thanks
gpz900
Settled in member
Reactions:
Bike owned: GPZ900, NC30, NC35, NSR250SE
Back wheel very hard to turn.

Post by gpz900 » Wed Jul 10, 2019 5:25 am

Hi all,

So as the title says I'm having an issue with the rear wheel. It's incredibly tight. I can barely move it with my hand when its on the stand and it takes a lot of effort to push the bike around the garage, way more than any other bike I've had.
I checked the brake pads aren't rubbing and its definitely in neutral. Chain feels well adjusted and lubed.

Is this common with the VRF/RVF ? Something inherent with the single sided swing arm arrangement? Or more likely that the bearings have had it?

Thanks in advance....

dgunthor
Settled in member
Reactions:
Re: Back wheel very hard to turn.

Post by dgunthor » Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:35 am

sounds like bearings then (thought i'd expect that to feel notchy rather than hard to push/turn), i'd normally suspect sticking caliper - can you unbolt it to rule it out?

NGneer
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: x3 NC30,Matchless G80s AJS16ms

Post by NGneer » Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:01 am

Like Dgunthor I doubt it will be the bearings.

I would start by unbolting the rear caliper (without disconecting the brake hose) and see what difference that makes. if it turns out that is the issue go for a calliper overhaul (just remember to pump your Pistons out before disconecting the brake line). If the wheel is still very stiff to rotate with the caliper disconected I would pop the rear wheel off and take the rear hub out/apart for a good visual check, clean and re-lube.

gpz900
Settled in member
Reactions:
Bike owned: GPZ900, NC30, NC35, NSR250SE

Post by gpz900 » Tue Jul 16, 2019 1:54 am

Thanks guys, I thought when I had tested it could see daylight between the pads and disk so ruled out the brake, but when I actually tried to remove the caliper it became obvious that it was sticking. Should have been more careful the first time I checked.

The pistons are quite sticky so ordered the kit from Rick O.

Thanks again.....

dgunthor
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by dgunthor » Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:02 am

sweet