Rear Hub Removal

Forum rules
Please can you post items for sale or wanted in the correct For Sale section. Items / bikes for sale here will be removed without warning. Reasons for this are in the FAQ. Thanks
wingy1962
Settled in member
Reactions:
Rear Hub Removal

Post by wingy1962 » Sun Jan 06, 2019 4:02 am

Team

Having trouble getting the main shaft with brake rotor out of the rear hub. I have searched the topic and the best I found was penetrating oil and a wallop with a rubber hammer. I have done this method to death and still no movement. And yes have the wheel and sprocket carrier off. I even tried a big lump of wood up against the shaft on the left side of the bike and a big metal hammer, and still no good. I'm scared of damaging the shaft or threaded end.

I did however get the center shaft/bolt out that holds the wheel on.

Is there a way someone has used with a type of bearing or wheel puller?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks and regards,
Tony

Dynamohum
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Re: Rear Hub Removal

Post by Dynamohum » Sun Jan 06, 2019 10:56 pm

Strange one that can only think that the bearing spacer that sits behind the sprocket has seized onto the shaft or the bearings themselves would try bolting the wheel back on and pulling on that would give more purchase or using the wood over the inside of the wheel and hammering .

wingy1962
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by wingy1962 » Mon Jan 07, 2019 6:46 pm

Thanks for the idea, I have organised a bearing puller so will give that a try too.

Thanks for the info.

Regards,
Tony

wingy1962
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by wingy1962 » Sat Jan 12, 2019 2:37 am

Borrowed a two leg bearing puller and did the job easy. there was a red grease inside that had gone solid and looked the culprit. Cleaned out easy with penetrating oil, then re-greased bearings, changed the rear brake disk and pads and put it all back together.

Regards,
Tony