Nc30 clutch gone whilst in GERMANY argh!

Forum rules
Please can you post items for sale or wanted in the correct For Sale section. Items / bikes for sale here will be removed without warning. Reasons for this are in the FAQ. Thanks
SmallFrowne
Settled in member
Reactions:
Nc30 clutch gone whilst in GERMANY argh!

Post by SmallFrowne » Tue Sep 11, 2018 4:08 pm

Long time no post, but for a laugh I thought I'd ask if anyone would like to hazard a guess at how long the clutch might last once it's started to slip...

I'm on a bit of a biking holiday with some chums and at the end of the first day out, having arrived in Germany the day before, my clutch has started to slip after about 8/9k rpm. It's not the oil (changed weeks ago) and the cable has plenty of play in it, lashings in fact - just to test it. So I think it's had it. I've managed to get it to a Honda dealer and they are very slow at getting any info to me - they want to test it first, then look to see if they can get the parts and for how much, so I await a phone call with credit card in hand :(

Annnnyway... I don't hold out much hope of having it fixed before I'm meant to be back at the chunnel on Saturday. I've rang around, called in a few and no one seems to think they can get the parts very quickly.

How long do you reckon she'll go if I nurse it with my best bedside manners all the way from roughly Trier in South West Germany to Calais... Bet bet bet!

manicguitarist
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: RVF400 (NC35)
Re: Nc30 clutch gone whilst in GERMANY argh!

Post by manicguitarist » Wed Sep 12, 2018 11:06 pm

The clutch began to slip under hard acceleration on my old R1....it lasted another 2000miles.
But if it is slipping all the time above a certain revs..it is only going to damage it more quickly.

Clutch plates should be easy to source and fit though.

CMSMJ1
Moderators
Moderators
Reactions:
Bike owned: NC30-No9

Post by CMSMJ1 » Thu Sep 13, 2018 11:40 am

Should be an easy fix - either get sme plats, or source a spare spring and add that too - get it nice and clamped up.

are you near cologne? I would bet that our great forum wonderboy - @ngneer can help you

PM him
IMPERATOR REX ANGLORUM

The V4 is the law..

NC30 - No9 - my old mate

NGneer
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: x3 NC30,Matchless G80s AJS16ms

Post by NGneer » Mon Sep 17, 2018 12:23 pm

Only just caught up with this thread.

Did you get home ok or are you still sausage side?

If you (or the bike) are still in Germany drop me a PM. I am between Köln and the Dutch boarder and am sure I could help you out.

SmallFrowne
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by SmallFrowne » Mon Sep 17, 2018 3:36 pm

Ah. Thanks for the help guys, and I was fairly close to Koln really, you might have been able to help me to source some plates, I struggled at that! But not to worry in the end, I had some plates sent from a local (UK side) shop on special, as fast as you can please delivery. Unfortunately he sent the wrong tool to get the nut off... But at the 11th hour Klaus from the pub saw to that with a hammer and selection of chisels, job completed in time for fish supper. Set off Saturday morning - arriving home at 3am due to chunnel delays but hey ho, I made it back.

manicguitarist
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: RVF400 (NC35)

Post by manicguitarist » Mon Sep 17, 2018 4:23 pm

Yay!

NGneer
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: x3 NC30,Matchless G80s AJS16ms

Post by NGneer » Mon Sep 17, 2018 6:51 pm

Glad to hear you got back ok :-)