tyga carbon silencer position

Forum rules
Please can you post items for sale or wanted in the correct For Sale section. Items / bikes for sale here will be removed without warning. Reasons for this are in the FAQ. Thanks
brido
Settled in member
Reactions:
tyga carbon silencer position

Post by brido » Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:39 am

Hi all I’m having a problem with my tyga carbon silencer position when I fit it onto my bike, the bike has a full tyga system but when I fit the longer carbon silencer it pulls up against the indicator, I think I might be right in saying that this is the wrong position, any ideas in what might be wrong with what I’m doing, photos below to show you what I mean,
Image23C39CCD-19BC-4BF2-9397-12842D57E60A by rossi55, on Flickr

Image18F2F497-3A8C-4C1B-92A3-49766DBA018E by rossi55, on Flickr

ImageC9541002-552D-4D34-94F4-2B8BA2C7CA7C by rossi55, on Flickr

Image20CE00A5-6896-49C2-9CB8-5C14641512A8 by rossi55, on Flickr

SPOONDIDDLY
Settled in member
Reactions:
Re: tyga carbon silencer position

Post by SPOONDIDDLY » Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:04 am

Have you tried adjusting the position of the muffler and routing of the exhaust?
There is a fair amount of play in the system, so you can probably get it to work

Foxy400
Reactions:
Bike owned: NC35 NC29 Bonneville CBR600F4i

Post by Foxy400 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:17 am

I had a similar problem when I fitted the exact same Tyga can to my NC35, except I have the original indicators and the can touched the outside edge, rather than the underside as yours does.
I tried adjusting the system but there wasn't enough flexibility to clear the indicator. Eventually I added an extra nut and 3 washers to the bolt which holds the strap to the hanger. I put them on the bolt BETWEEN the strap and the hanger, which had the effect of pushing the can outwards several mm. and therefore clearing the indicator..just. I think I may have used a longer bolt to accommodate the additional fittings.
You could try something similar but it looks like you would need to add more nuts and washers than I did to move the can out enough. You don't notice the extras on mine but you may do if you add significantly more. I also thought about removing the hanger and trying to bend it slightly (in a vice). I even bought a spare one to try it but in the end didn't need to. That might be an option for you.

brido
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by brido » Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:38 pm

SPOONDIDDLY wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:04 am
Have you tried adjusting the position of the muffler and routing of the exhaust?
There is a fair amount of play in the system, so you can probably get it to work
I have tried both the ways you have mentioned but every time I go to tighten up the clamp it pulls the silencer up where it shouldn’t be.
Foxy400 wrote:
Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:17 am
I had a similar problem when I fitted the exact same Tyga can to my NC35, except I have the original indicators and the can touched the outside edge, rather than the underside as yours does.
I tried adjusting the system but there wasn't enough flexibility to clear the indicator. Eventually I added an extra nut and 3 washers to the bolt which holds the strap to the hanger. I put them on the bolt BETWEEN the strap and the hanger, which had the effect of pushing the can outwards several mm. and therefore clearing the indicator..just. I think I may have used a longer bolt to accommodate the additional fittings.
You could try something similar but it looks like you would need to add more nuts and washers than I did to move the can out enough. You don't notice the extras on mine but you may do if you add significantly more. I also thought about removing the hanger and trying to bend it slightly (in a vice). I even bought a spare one to try it but in the end didn't need to. That might be an option for you.
I have looked at that but mine is too far in for that, mine needs lowered, so I might have to make some kind of bracket to lower the hanger.

Foxy400
Reactions:

Post by Foxy400 » Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:35 am

Yup, that's an option. I considered it but got away without the hassle of making one. If I was to make a bracket to lower the hangar by a few mm. I would design it so that it fitted to the 2 bolts on the frame rail, then bolt the hangar to it, rather than make a bracket that fits between the hangar and the strap, which is likely to look a bit weird. The bracket would be out of sight behind the seat panel and would probably be more secure. Just in case you haven't already thought of that!

brido
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by brido » Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:09 pm

Foxy400 wrote:
Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:35 am
Yup, that's an option. I considered it but got away without the hassle of making one. If I was to make a bracket to lower the hangar by a few mm. I would design it so that it fitted to the 2 bolts on the frame rail, then bolt the hangar to it, rather than make a bracket that fits between the hangar and the strap, which is likely to look a bit weird. The bracket would be out of sight behind the seat panel and would probably be more secure. Just in case you haven't already thought of that!
Was thinking the same thing,
Was wondering if this is a common problem with the tyga silencers.

Foxy400
Reactions:

Post by Foxy400 » Sat Jul 14, 2018 9:58 am

Don't know if other people on here have had the same issue but I'd be interested to know how you solve the problem.

NGneer
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: x3 NC30,Matchless G80s AJS16ms

Post by NGneer » Mon Jul 16, 2018 12:35 pm

Do you need the Tyga exhaust hanger to go with the Tyga exhaust system?

Might be worth asking if someone out there with a Tyga hanger could measure the distance between the hole centres to see if theirs is slightly longer than the OEM one thus holding the silencer down a bit away from the indicator. Just a thought

Second thought: You could also try drilling a second hole in the Hanger and pivoting it down slightly, like so...

My hanger already had a second set of holes drilled and I did this to move the strap forward a bit (off the Ethos label) but thinking about the geometry of it...it must also have moved it down slightly. Might be enough to give you the clearance you need. :peace:

brido
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by brido » Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:39 pm

NGneer wrote:
Mon Jul 16, 2018 12:35 pm
Do you need the Tyga exhaust hanger to go with the Tyga exhaust system?

Might be worth asking if someone out there with a Tyga hanger could measure the distance between the hole centres to see if theirs is slightly longer than the OEM one thus holding the silencer down a bit away from the indicator. Just a thought

Second thought: You could also try drilling a second hole in the Hanger and pivoting it down slightly, like so...

My hanger already had a second set of holes drilled and I did this to move the strap forward a bit (off the Ethos label) but thinking about the geometry of it...it must also have moved it down slightly. Might be enough to give you the clearance you need. :peace:
Thanks NGneer I’ll enquire with the tyga importer and see what he says, but it doesn’t say anything on their website about using a tyga exhaust hanger that’s what made me think it’s compatible with the oem hanger.
I have a spare hanger so I’ll definitely give that a go and see what happens.

brido
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by brido » Thu Jul 19, 2018 11:11 pm

Finally got round to removing the seat unit and have noticed that the sub frame has a curve in it, should it be their or should it be straight?