Bikemonkey's NC30

This section is reserved for members on the SITE SUPPORTERS group only. Each supporter can post pics of their bikes for all to view. Standard members can read and reply, but the post author has full control over his thread and can edit, delete & lock at will
bikemonkey
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: 92 NC30, 90 VFR750
Re: Bikemonkey's NC30

Post by bikemonkey » Tue Mar 07, 2017 9:52 pm

Cadwell update.

Some hero pictures of sorts...... (those on Facebook will have already seen one of them)

I crashed. Hall bends first left in what I'd say was wet conditions!

So that happened.

In the first picture just above my leg you can see my clutch reservoir cap making a bid for freedom. Marshall spotted that though and picked it up for me :up:

Now, damage report:

1x spada waterproof suit
1x ethos carbon end can
1x upper fairing
1x left rearset peg
3x left rearset bolt
1x clutch reservoir
1x crash bung
1x crash bung bolt
And some cosmetic scraping all round, plus a good part of Cadwell's grass....

The bike decided it wanted to go race shift during the crash, god knows how but only bolts were bent, thank-fully the gearbox wasn't damaged.

Plenty of mud everywhere...

Exhaust can unfortunately will need a re-sleeve. And even more unfortunately is that it's an odd size (100mm ID bang on), so it'll need to be sent off to be fixed I think.

I had to cut the crash bung bolt to get it out of the spacer etc.

And here's the broken stuff.

I'm going back to a cable clutch as I won't pay £35 for a new clutch reservoir, it's extortionate.

New pegs, bolts etc have been ordered. I also need to ring PJEngineering to see if they'll make me a sleeve or I'll need to send them my can for them to do it.

But this will be put on the back burner whilst I finish the ZXR, although I do have another trackday booked at the end of April, so it won't be broken long.

Locomad
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by Locomad » Thu Mar 09, 2017 7:36 pm

Shit, lots of damage from Lowside, did the crashbung dig in?

bikemonkey
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:

Post by bikemonkey » Thu Mar 09, 2017 10:52 pm

No it didn't, bike only slid on the one side, did it's job properly or I reckon I'd have worse damage on my hands!

I've packed up the exhaust tonight to be sent off to PJEngineering who re-sleeved it last time and did an ace job then.

bikemonkey
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:

Post by bikemonkey » Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:41 pm

So a little bit of progress and a slightly new direction.

Lots of bits and bobs turned up, but the bolts I ordered to fit the rearsets were sent in the wrong size. 20mm too long. So I'm now waiting on some more.

Tomorrow I'll be going home so I can pick up the old clutch assembly. Plus I'll grab the front brake light switch and road rearsets (can you see where this is going?)

Whilst I was making some strengthening repairs on the ZXR's bodywork I got the nose cone fibreglassed back together and make a few little structural repairs to it and the lowers.

When I'd done that I didn't have anything left to do on the ZXR so I set about starting to get the bike ready for a "daytime" MOT. I knocked up a numberplate holder from some sheet aluminium I procured from work, which will also hold the brake light shown once the MOT has been completed.

Can't not have a brake light IMO.

I've also got a bicycle speedo to go on and a small handlebar button for a horn.

Just waiting to hear from PJengineering about my exhaust can, and getting the kwacker finished before I can start rounding off the rough edges on the bodywork. As I'm quite sure the MOT man won't like my bodged up bodywork as it is!

Tim400GB
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: 1 x NC30, 2 x NC32.5,

Post by Tim400GB » Fri Mar 17, 2017 1:49 pm

Good work, lucky the bung didn't dig in, seen them do some real damage when they do.

My tester said you didn't need a brake light for a daytime MOT but recommended I fit one.
Needless to say I agreed with him.

bikemonkey
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:

Post by bikemonkey » Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:34 pm

Thanks, yeah I've heard they can cause more problems than they're sometimes worth!

The brake light won't be fitted for the MOT, but as you say it'd be stupid not to have one.

Will be an interesting experience riding on the road without mirrors though. Although the NC ones aren't much cop I've had the huge useful ones on the XJ to get used to. Plus indicating will be all hand signals I guess, not that many cagers will even understand them!

bikemonkey
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:

Post by bikemonkey » Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:23 pm

Well for some reason I made a right mountain out of a molehill with the clutch cable.

I think because I've changed the angle of the bars the solid part of the cable that comes out of the lever perch was directing the cable too far over causing everything to look wrong and snag/drag on things. To make it all work and get my confused head round it I had the tank airbox and carbs off just to look at routing options as the original just wasn't going to work.

In the end I chucked the cable under the lower yoke, between radiator and frame and behind the front coil pack and frame spar majig.

It's not as glamorous as the hydraulic clutch, but less susceptible to damage in a crash I reckon.

This is something I've been meaning to do for a while, change the coolant for de-ionised water. Best practice as a track bike really. After draining the coolant I wheeled the bike round to the hose and flushed out the system until no green coolant came out, then re-filled it all with de-ionised water.

The system only got a quick burping as I'm still waiting to hear back about the exhaust which I sent away and the open pipes were ridiculously loud and probably no good for the engine to run it without the can.

I also fitted the bicycle speedo I got for road purposes, but need to program it to calculate the speed correctly.

I've managed to lose the front brake light switch somehow so I've got another one of those on order along with a battery powered horn as I can't be bothered to sort out the wiring for the old one.

I have had a look at the fairings too, they may need a little bit more fibreglass work before I start to sand, fill and smooth out the rough edges. I hate bodywork, but I'm a bit poor whilst I save for a house (seems a never ending thing...)

bikemonkey
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:

Post by bikemonkey » Wed Apr 05, 2017 12:23 pm

So since I need the bike to pass an MOT the fairings can't be all messy and dangerous etc.

I started sanding and filling the nose cone. Thinking I'll do a very simple and probably very shit rattle can paint job on it and the lowers too.

Then yesterday my exhaust came back from repair, and PJengineering have done a great job just like last time.

They sent me back the old sleeve so I could take the badges off myself, and the ethos one was stuck on with glue as well and rivets. This made getting it off without damaging it near on impossible. Don't think I'll re-use it. I do have a spare but only one.

This then allowed me to run the bike up for an oil and filter change. I also got the rearset back together and in place as you can see.

Now this is the first time I have changed the oil with the bike having a magnetic sump plug, so I wasn't expecting it to be perfectly clean at all. But I thought this might be a tad excessive.

Quite a large chunk of something that looks like a gear tooth piece.

As I have absolutely no idea how long this has been in the engine, and it all runs fine I'll do another change after my next track day and see what that results in. If it picks up even more crap then I have a problem on my hands, if not then I shan't worry about it unless the thing goes bang!

Tim400GB
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: 1 x NC30, 2 x NC32.5,

Post by Tim400GB » Wed Apr 05, 2017 12:53 pm

got a pic of the shrapnel from a different angle?

bikemonkey
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:

Post by bikemonkey » Wed Apr 05, 2017 1:06 pm

No, I'll get one tonight though.

Does look like a gear tooth bit to me