New H1 ZXR400, won't start.

Forum rules
Please can you post items for sale or wanted in the correct For Sale section. Items / bikes for sale here will be removed without warning. Reasons for this are in the FAQ. Thanks
AsherT
Settled in member
Reactions:
New H1 ZXR400, won't start.

Post by AsherT » Thu Jan 19, 2017 7:29 am

Hi guys.
I have just brought a ZXR400 race bike to race in the classic club but am having an issue with it.
When I brought it from the previous owner we couldn't get it started at his place but figured it was probably old fuel as it had been sitting for some time.
I finally tear into it tonight and replace the fuel and make sure the carbs are clean but it still wouldn't fire.
So I pulled the plugs out, which were wet and checked for spark and that seems ok.
So now I am running out of obvious things to check.
The bike isn't super tidy but the previous owner said it was running before he stored it away.

Any tips?

Thanks

Copernicus
Settled in member
Reactions:
Re: New H1 ZXR400, won't start.

Post by Copernicus » Fri Jan 20, 2017 7:11 pm

Hi. A usual scenario from a bike "lying up".
Remove, check/replace/clean, air filter. Check for good connections & no breaks on the carb to air box rubbers and the carb to inlet manifold rubbers. Replace oil. Replace fuel filter. How in-depth did you go with the carb cleaning? Jets cleaned? Bowls off?
You're getting a spark & fuel........that's good. If plugs are wet stick them in the oven for 10 mins. It could be air/fuel mix not allowing it to start due to being gummed-up somewhere. Check choke is working.
I'm going to guess it's a carb problem, too much fuel.....not enough air.
Hopefully some of the above might help.

AsherT
Settled in member
Reactions:
Re: New H1 ZXR400, won't start.

Post by AsherT » Sun Jan 22, 2017 9:03 pm

Thanks for theverything reply.
Even though I was getting spark, after 4 new plugs she fired first try.
I then had issues with it idling around 6k rpm, I got some advice to put the fuel screws at 2 turns out but that didn't help but noticed the butterflies were uneven, I tried to even them up by eye and that helped but it's still not 100%.
The bike has a jap market cdi so I needed to deristrict it, but as the doesn't have a speedo I thought I wouldnt matter, turns out it gives the bike a false Rev limiter at 10k rpm. I wired in a 10K 1watt resister on the pink wire between the cdi and -ive nerminal so hopefully that sorts that issue.