25th june baja and central america

Nothing more to say really, if it's been organised it'll be here.
Graham
Settled in member
Reactions:
25th june baja and central america

Post by Graham » Mon Jun 15, 2009 6:04 pm

If anybody fancies dropping everything and seeing some amazing scenery, people and just living out the dreams then feel free to tag along. The plan is to tide the baja peninsular take in a few stages from the desert race before ferrying across to mexico proper and winding down through the mayan ruins into honduras and spending a week chilled out in roatan on the carribean learning to dive and perfect the technique of sand riding.

Weather wont be great, the temperatures are supposed to only peak at 38 but they wont be dropping below 30. Accomodation is 6 dollars for a motel or free to camp and dont worry about spanish. I can get us all through and with a few beers inside i can pretty much be fluent in everything from scottish to dog.

400's are more than welcome the pace is fast when your having fun, slow when taking the scenery in and at a stop when somehwhere looks to good to pass. If bringing an rvf we'll have to modify it a touch but i'm sure we could attach a higher mudguard and possibly a crf set of wheels.

Could be a great stag do for any recently engaged peeps :whistle: :whistle:
2009 trip best country..... Columbia absoloutely breathtaking

nige.smith
Site Admin
Site Admin
Reactions:
Bike owned: Ducati
Re: 25th june baja and central america

Post by nige.smith » Sat Jun 20, 2009 8:47 pm

One day - I hope to emulate your achievements in bike touring. Until then stay safe you twat.

Kids are now 18 and 22............just the missus to convince.

Keep up your ramblings, they are an inspiration.

One thing to ponder...............you now have the benefit of hindsight, would you do it on a different bike?

Regards

Nige
" The best way to tidy your garage, is to throw most of it's contents in a skip "

Graham
Settled in member
Reactions:
Re: 25th june baja and central america

Post by Graham » Thu Jun 25, 2009 3:46 am

Consider this nige mate, your eldest is exactly the same age as me, i'm still a young un and thank god because my way of quickly learning spanish is to throw myslef in the deep end, luckily i'm good at french and many words comprehend and i can get by but a great excuse to learn is by the need to know!

I'm not a twat mate just very very lucky to have pushed myslef enough to do this. I must say i will still miss touring spain and a few laos of the ring but i have things to relax with anyhow.

I guess choosing a bike is the hardest decision and if i were two up then i would be stuck on suggestions. I wanted a bike that could be a compromise in doing off and on road which the dr does amazingly. Yes its uncomfy for 500 mile days but has the ability to do some deep sandy tracks like in baja at the moment.

It cruises at 80 if needed happy all day although 65/70 is much nicer. Ease of maintenance is a massive issue and at the weekend i had the head leaking, with two sockets and one allen key i had the entire bike stripped with the cylinder head off. I am very impressed it has had abuse, been jet washed a few times, Done trails its really not designed for at pace, yet with a good check it justs doesnt get tired. For the 7500 miles so far love it!
2009 trip best country..... Columbia absoloutely breathtaking