xivlia's thread of nc30 problems and questions

Where posts and threads can be moved to future safe keeping.
vfrman
Reactions:
Bike owned: NC30, 1098s
Re: xivlia's thread of nc30 problems and questions

Post by vfrman » Fri Sep 07, 2012 6:32 am

vic-vtrvfr wrote:
xivlia wrote:plus i hate the noise the twins make.
:ban:
:plus:

nc30chris
Settled in member
Reactions:
Bike owned: '92 nc30

Post by nc30chris » Fri Sep 07, 2012 8:14 am

vic-vtrvfr wrote:
On another note, have you seen the price of kinder surprise now?? Toys in them are shit too compared to the good old days
aah, the good old days... ;)

speedy231278
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: RVF400, TZR125, ZXR750R

Post by speedy231278 » Fri Sep 07, 2012 10:57 am

Maybe they just seem shit because as adults (allegedly) we recognise that they are just that, as opposed to when we were kids before the era of mobile phones, iPads, decent video games and the like..? :D

Neosophist
Moderators
Moderators
Reactions:
Bike owned: CBR954

Post by Neosophist » Fri Sep 07, 2012 11:44 am

xivlia wrote:i have! you dont seem to understand me, the bike is fucking up by itself, ive been away on holiday for the past 2 months and it was running before hand. and now im back. and the carbs are letting fuel into the cylinder, i didnt even do anything to the carbs.
An object that cannot move by itself cannot :fuck itself up: as you put it.

Now please take a minute and try to think this one through. It isnt difficult.

So before you babble on that the bike was running before you left it, that is irrelevant.

You left the bike standing for longer than you normally would, this doesnt mean the bike has fucked itself up, it means that probelms you didnt know you had have revealed themselves.

This is becuase you didnt fix or repair the problem.

The Honda fuel tap is a safety device, the vaccum diaphram shuts off the fuel if your carb seals fail, this will stop the engine flooding.

However, in your case, in playing with the carbs you didnt fully test and check for leaking floats (you admit in one of your last replies you dont know how to check that the carbs might leak if the fuel is left on)

The vaccum tap wil shut off the fuel when the engine isnt running so even if you have a leaking carb the bike cant flood itself as no fuel will flow apart from the small amount in the carb.

Now this seems to me.

1. You knew the fuel tap was fucked and letting fuel flow when switched off and didnt fix it.
2. Your carbs were leaking fuel becuase of a bad sealing float pin and you didnt diagnose / find this problem and left the bike for a long time.

IF the fuel tap was working the problem wouldnt be so bad, but since the fuel tap was broken and the carbs were broken this would create a situation where all the fuel from the tank can fill the engine up.

Try to understand that this is not the bikes fault but your own fault. It is possible to dislogge a float pin while workign on / near the carbs so you may have even caused that. The carbs are old though so they might need new parts.

It is your fault for not detecting the problem, the bike didnt fuck up itself while you were away, probelms you didnt fix came out, and MUCH better than you riding far away, leaving the bike overnight and finidng your stuck somewhere.

The NC30 is one of the most over-engineered bikes and very reliable if looked after, I dont think your bike was that shitty either before you started pissing about with it.

This is nothing personal against you as I dont know you from adam.

However.

1. you brought an old bike becuase you have no money, which is a bad idea anyway as old bikes always cost money to maintain.

2. you try to do everything yourself on the cheap even when you dont know what your doing.

3. You wasted most of your money on panels and spray paint and other shit for the bike you didnt NEED. As you said yourself, you only brought it becuase insurance on a bigger bike was too much, you will soon get bored of the bike needing money spent on it and the fact that even and old 1996 cbr600 jelly mold will blow you away.

You should have kept the money for getting work done to the bike by somebody who knows what they were doing.

If you work out how much you spent on buying those panels, the spray paint and all the other non-essential shit no dobut you could have had the bike sent to thunderace or someone who would have sorted it all out for you.

Much better to have a bike that works than one that looks new.

At the very least wait 1 year or more before you throw money at it, as im convienced if you ever get it on the road you wont keep it long.

Finally, dont slag off the Honda fuel tap or any other of the parts of the bike, there an awesome bike and there are coutnless owners on here that can testify to that.

Even the doggish of dogs NC24s I got my hands on that I had to ride back 200 miles with no waterpump (it had siezed and the driving shaft snapped) leaking rad cap, knackered genny and altentor and battery, failed rear hub bearings, head bearings, no brakes all around and only running on 3. Oh the water pipe across the block had a pinhole in it too.

Needless to say the bike had been ridden into the ground by many many owners wanting it beuase it was cheaper than a big bike, the whole machien was a compelte bodge job, good points were oriignal panels.. the front tyre was the original from 1987 and felt like cast iron.

It took about 2 - 3 weeks a bit at a time to put right, didnt cost a great deal either, couple of hundred quid for bearings, battery and genny, seals and a service.

Still runs like swiss watch today.

They can all be saved if you have the time and quite often the money, but if you poke around in the dark accusing the bike of breaking itself it just shows you dont understand why and will never fix it.

I dont think an old bike is right for you.

Put it on ebay and let someone else fix it.

Save your money for a longer time.. remember the phrase good things come to those who wait?

Get a modern bike with less miles and save up enough to insure that.

Ride it for a year or two and sell it and let someone else deal with the worn out parts and servicing.
xivlia wrote:i dont go fast on this bike so really do not need a rear brake.. /
vic-vtrvfr wrote:Ask xivlia for help, he's tackled just about every problem u could think of...

nc30chris
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by nc30chris » Fri Sep 07, 2012 11:51 am

Neosophist wrote:
xivlia wrote:i have! you dont seem to understand me, the bike is fucking up by itself, ive been away on holiday for the past 2 months and it was running before hand. and now im back. and the carbs are letting fuel into the cylinder, i didnt even do anything to the carbs.
An object that cannot move by itself cannot :fuck itself up: as you put it.

Now please take a minute and try to think this one through. It isnt difficult.

So before you babble on that the bike was running before you left it, that is irrelevant.

You left the bike standing for longer than you normally would, this doesnt mean the bike has fucked itself up, it means that probelms you didnt know you had have revealed themselves.

This is becuase you didnt fix or repair the problem.

The Honda fuel tap is a safety device, the vaccum diaphram shuts off the fuel if your carb seals fail, this will stop the engine flooding.

However, in your case, in playing with the carbs you didnt fully test and check for leaking floats (you admit in one of your last replies you dont know how to check that the carbs might leak if the fuel is left on)

The vaccum tap wil shut off the fuel when the engine isnt running so even if you have a leaking carb the bike cant flood itself as no fuel will flow apart from the small amount in the carb.

Now this seems to me.

1. You knew the fuel tap was fucked and letting fuel flow when switched off and didnt fix it.
2. Your carbs were leaking fuel becuase of a bad sealing float pin and you didnt diagnose / find this problem and left the bike for a long time.

IF the fuel tap was working the problem wouldnt be so bad, but since the fuel tap was broken and the carbs were broken this would create a situation where all the fuel from the tank can fill the engine up.

Try to understand that this is not the bikes fault but your own fault. It is possible to dislogge a float pin while workign on / near the carbs so you may have even caused that. The carbs are old though so they might need new parts.

It is your fault for not detecting the problem, the bike didnt fuck up itself while you were away, probelms you didnt fix came out, and MUCH better than you riding far away, leaving the bike overnight and finidng your stuck somewhere.

The NC30 is one of the most over-engineered bikes and very reliable if looked after, I dont think your bike was that shitty either before you started pissing about with it.

This is nothing personal against you as I dont know you from adam.

However.

1. you brought an old bike becuase you have no money, which is a bad idea anyway as old bikes always cost money to maintain.

2. you try to do everything yourself on the cheap even when you dont know what your doing.

3. You wasted most of your money on panels and spray paint and other shit for the bike you didnt NEED. As you said yourself, you only brought it becuase insurance on a bigger bike was too much, you will soon get bored of the bike needing money spent on it and the fact that even and old 1996 cbr600 jelly mold will blow you away.

You should have kept the money for getting work done to the bike by somebody who knows what they were doing.

If you work out how much you spent on buying those panels, the spray paint and all the other non-essential shit no dobut you could have had the bike sent to thunderace or someone who would have sorted it all out for you.

Much better to have a bike that works than one that looks new.

At the very least wait 1 year or more before you throw money at it, as im convienced if you ever get it on the road you wont keep it long.

Finally, dont slag off the Honda fuel tap or any other of the parts of the bike, there an awesome bike and there are coutnless owners on here that can testify to that.

Even the doggish of dogs NC24s I got my hands on that I had to ride back 200 miles with no waterpump (it had siezed and the driving shaft snapped) leaking rad cap, knackered genny and altentor and battery, failed rear hub bearings, head bearings, no brakes all around and only running on 3. Oh the water pipe across the block had a pinhole in it too.

Needless to say the bike had been ridden into the ground by many many owners wanting it beuase it was cheaper than a big bike, the whole machien was a compelte bodge job, good points were oriignal panels.. the front tyre was the original from 1987 and felt like cast iron.

It took about 2 - 3 weeks a bit at a time to put right, didnt cost a great deal either, couple of hundred quid for bearings, battery and genny, seals and a service.

Still runs like swiss watch today.

They can all be saved if you have the time and quite often the money, but if you poke around in the dark accusing the bike of breaking itself it just shows you dont understand why and will never fix it.

I dont think an old bike is right for you.

Put it on ebay and let someone else fix it.

Save your money for a longer time.. remember the phrase good things come to those who wait?

Get a modern bike with less miles and save up enough to insure that.

Ride it for a year or two and sell it and let someone else deal with the worn out parts and servicing.
:plus:

vic-vtrvfr
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: NC30 x4, VTR1000 Firestorm

Post by vic-vtrvfr » Fri Sep 07, 2012 11:55 am

speedy231278 wrote:Maybe they just seem shit because as adults (allegedly) we recognise that they are just that, as opposed to when we were kids before the era of mobile phones, iPads, decent video games and the like..? :D
Possible, but i think its cos they really are shit in comparison.
Most of them dont need built, just a moulded tortoise with a surfboard or some random tat like that.
What ever happened the wee friction drive cars you had to assemble???

anyhoo, i'm away back to my padded cell :whistle:

xivlia
Reactions:
Bike owned: Ducati 749 D

Post by xivlia » Fri Sep 07, 2012 1:01 pm

yes, it is my fault for not diagnosing for the problems with the carb and the engine etc, but its not my fault the the bike is shit. my bike is shit... im not saying yours is or anyone elses... i just saying MINE is. i know mine is because if it wernt shit, it wouldnt have been broken or needed any for shitty parts.

just a point to clear out... i didnt make this bike worse.. it came as bad as it could be, i am only just discovering its bad points. the previous owner did really fuck this up, and im not just blaming him, it could of been other owners, the last owner said he came off the bike, so probably crashed this bike. i admit, i have broken some stuff on the bike like snapping off studs in major areas etc, but they have been fixed, i can assure you i have not done anything mechanically wrong to this bike so far.

anyway, il test the carbs today, gonna pop them out soon.

nc30chris
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by nc30chris » Fri Sep 07, 2012 1:51 pm

vic-vtrvfr wrote:
speedy231278 wrote:Maybe they just seem shit because as adults (allegedly) we recognise that they are just that, as opposed to when we were kids before the era of mobile phones, iPads, decent video games and the like..? :D
Possible, but i think its cos they really are shit in comparison.
Most of them dont need built, just a moulded tortoise with a surfboard or some random tat like that.
What ever happened the wee friction drive cars you had to assemble???

anyhoo, i'm away back to my padded cell :whistle:
did anyone ever get one of those giant easter egg kinder suprise eggs?! now they were the s*it! ;)

xivlia
Reactions:
Bike owned: Ducati 749 D

Post by xivlia » Fri Sep 07, 2012 2:44 pm

okay so i checked my carbs and guess what. NO leaks! wtf? i took them out put them on a table, filled it up with petrol. and waited... waited and waited, and not even a droplet of petrol came out.. i even shaked it up a little and NOTHING no sign of petrol, i took the bowl out, checked the float seat and pin, all in perfect condition. no gunk in the seat etc, so its clean as an elven arse. now im stumped, what do i do? i even checked the diaphragm and needle etc for wear and tear and its in perfect condition.

however here is a problem, the cylinder which was full of petrol when i got back from holiday, is rusty inside the chamber... which is what i think is causing the squeaky noise when i crank it. here is a picture, you can barely make out the rust, but... rust is rust, is there anything i can do about this? or not.

iDemonix
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: '92 NC30

Post by iDemonix » Fri Sep 07, 2012 4:24 pm

Yes there is something you can do, get it sold!

I agree with Neo. I'm doing an engine swap, swingarm swap, shock swap and more to my bike. I'd love new rearsets, new levers, new screen, new nose cone and loads more for the bike, but those things are cosmetic and can wait, unlike the mechanical things I'm replacing. You spent time and money on painting the fairings etc when you were just polishing/ruining a turd.

I think you need to sit down and really mull over whether or not you can fix this bike. I REALLY don't think you can, and I think you know that you can't. You bought this bike to save money, the amount this bike needs to actually get it going, you could just got an old CBR600F.

I can't be bothered to help with advice and the like much more because I don't think you're capable of doing a good mechanical job.

Also you REALLY must STOP with this "my bike is shit, stupid bike" bullshit. It's a fucking machine, not a living pet. If X isn't working, there is a sound and logical reason. If that reason is fixed, the problem is fixed and you can move on. Getting angry at a machine is just pathetic. It's not trying to upset you by being broken, it doesn't want to work or not work. It's just components, many of which, in your case, are fucked and need either repairing or replacing.

Move. On.
A roaring V4 is the summer soundtrack.