xivlia's thread of nc30 problems and questions

Where posts and threads can be moved to future safe keeping.
Neosophist
Moderators
Moderators
Reactions:
Bike owned: CBR954
Re: xivlia's thread of nc30 problems and questions

Post by Neosophist » Fri Sep 07, 2012 4:43 pm

The picture is too small to see clearly.

Perhaps the back of the valves went rusty?

Was it petrol that had leaked (i.e your tank was a lot emptier than when you started) or is it possible it was rainwater.

I dont think the bike is shit, far from it. It seems to have a few common faults from old age / bit of neglect that in the right hands could be sorted out within a day.

I said above, the float valves can become stuck, either through a knock / crash (which is why I dont advise hammering the carbs on), improper assembly, running them dry.

There are a few scenarious that can cause it to happen, if this does then it will just overflow until your fuel is empty, which is why Honda put a vaccum tap on the bike.

There really is no big WTF moment, there will be a perfectly logical explanation why it failed.

I said many many pages ago you need to fully understand why something has failed in order to know that you have really fixed the problem.

Clearly from your frustation and excessive use of WTF you dont know what is going on, which makes you more frustarated when you think you have fixed it but it turns out you havent.

I dont know how to put it in any nicer words but you dont seem to understand you need help.

I still struggle to do many things to the bike and ive been messing with bike engines for 20 years or so, i've broken many parts along the way but i've always had help from people who know more than me to show me how to do things.

Get VFRMan to come up and watch him sort your bike out. You might learn something you can use on other bikes too.
xivlia wrote:i dont go fast on this bike so really do not need a rear brake.. /
vic-vtrvfr wrote:Ask xivlia for help, he's tackled just about every problem u could think of...

xivlia
Reactions:
Bike owned: Ducati 749 D

Post by xivlia » Fri Sep 07, 2012 6:25 pm

but that doesnt answer why the carb is not leaking anymore and why it is leaking when its on the bike..... this clears nothing in my head. im scared to put the carb back on because i know its just going to start leaking again. what else can i check to make sure its leaking or not? the float valves spring compresses and de compresses freely, so i dont think its stuck? unless there is something internally in there thats broken.

CMSMJ1
Moderators
Moderators
Reactions:
Bike owned: NC30-No9

Post by CMSMJ1 » Fri Sep 07, 2012 10:31 pm

If you did it right, and cannot get it to fail now..then it is sorted. You can, however, fuck it up refitting the carbs so you have to be carefull with that.

Your main problem, it seems - was the super high flow leaky tap - that is now fixed? right?
IMPERATOR REX ANGLORUM

The V4 is the law..

NC30 - No9 - my old mate

xivlia
Reactions:

Post by xivlia » Fri Sep 07, 2012 10:48 pm

yeah the tap is fixed now, i installed my new one.

Morespeedvicar
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: Fzr400, NC30, CB50J, SS50Z KLR

Post by Morespeedvicar » Sat Sep 08, 2012 2:54 am

Hiya, i not read all these recent updates, but these things take time. All bikes have problems, look how many new bikes get recalled because of faults that happen due to unexpected wear. 20 year old bikes have been through alot and can take alot of work to get them back to how they should be.
You can make them better now with more modern components, but they aernt always a simple swap.
Everybody has got pi**ed off with there bike at some point, but after a while gone back to fixing it again, and in my case i get nearly as much 'enjoyment' fixing it as i do riding it (assuming i can ride a bike again but im happy with just been able to walk for now).
NC30's are a lovely bike, even compared to the new stuff, so just keep plugging away at the minor problems it has and you'll end up with a great bike if you take your time, do it once and do it right.
Its just a bunch a bolts (tho its bloody annoying when they snap!!) after all!
Cheers
Ian
Oh yeah kinder eggs have always been crap.......lol

Neosophist
Moderators
Moderators
Reactions:
Bike owned: CBR954

Post by Neosophist » Sat Sep 08, 2012 8:00 am

xivlia wrote:but that doesnt answer why the carb is not leaking anymore and why it is leaking when its on the bike..... this clears nothing in my head. im scared to put the carb back on because i know its just going to start leaking again. what else can i check to make sure its leaking or not? the float valves spring compresses and de compresses freely, so i dont think its stuck? unless there is something internally in there thats broken.
Yes it did, and I almost give up completely.
im scared to put the carb back on because i know its just going to start leaking again
No you don't know. You don't even know why it was leaking in the first place so how can you possibly know it will leak again?

I said there are many things that can cause the carbs to leak, then proceeded to name a few of the most common, a stuck float / some dirty / gunge in the float.

Since you took the carbs off and they are not leaking now then you can assume that float pins are ok and making a good seal, so from this you can assume it was something else that caused it. most likely a stuck float. Maybe you cant find the cause now, so make sure they are not leaking and ok and install them.

After making sure they are not leaking re-install the carbs CAREFULLY without too much force and let them fill up with fuel. Use a temporary fuel tank and you should see it stop draining into the carbs after they are full, if it doesnt stop then you have a leaking float.

You are going to have to do some of this work yourself, I can't see the bike from here, nor am I psychic.

I have listed the most common causes (twice now) that can cause this known issue with any carbs. To me it seems most likely that upon installation one of your floats became stuck, combined with the leaking tap over a period of a few months your carbs overflowed into the engine.

Its not voodoo, or magic and its quite obvious but you do need someone to show you how to do this stuff who has access to your bike. Keeping posting stuff up on the internet isnt going to get you anyway, your only describing a few symptoms, you need somebody to find the problem and treat that, not the effect.

The float pin doesnt do the sealing, the tip does, be careful with them too they are fragile.
xivlia wrote:i dont go fast on this bike so really do not need a rear brake.. /
vic-vtrvfr wrote:Ask xivlia for help, he's tackled just about every problem u could think of...

iDemonix
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: '92 NC30

Post by iDemonix » Sat Sep 08, 2012 9:36 am

I think Neo should get a purple heart or similar medal for his input to this thread.
A roaring V4 is the summer soundtrack.

magg
Reactions:
Bike owned: VFR400

Post by magg » Sat Sep 08, 2012 9:46 am

How do you know the carbies have stopped leaking? Did you set the carbies level on the bench and then refill the float bowls?

Dynamohum
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by Dynamohum » Sat Sep 08, 2012 12:33 pm

You're a good distance from me otherwise would be willing to help you. Where's the North East members Aberdeen etc? Or alternatively drain the carbs box them take them into ajg or contact parcel2go and send them to someone who has kindly offered to sort them ffs everyone here is willing to help but your not taking their advice on board.

xivlia
Reactions:

Post by xivlia » Sat Sep 08, 2012 12:42 pm

magg yes ive tested it like that, put them on a table and filled them up, and no leaks.