NC23 Rebuild and Restore NZ First Project Bike

This section is reserved for members on the SITE SUPPORTERS group only. Each supporter can post pics of their bikes for all to view. Standard members can read and reply, but the post author has full control over his thread and can edit, delete & lock at will
NZeeeee11
Settled in member
Reactions:
NC23 Rebuild and Restore NZ First Project Bike

Post by NZeeeee11 » Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:40 pm

Hello Everyone,

I finally have a 400 Jap bike so I decided to start document my build. I have some mechanical experience with mostly cars, timing belts, suspension work, brakes etc but am no means an expert and by starting this thread I will hope that I able to learn from others experiences and skills.

As of a week ago I'm the proud owner of two NC23 CBR400RR's. As I am in New Zealand, one of the bike's registration is on hold and the other bike is deregistered. The current state of these bike is average, they have been stored in a garage and have very little oxidation except for the top sub-frame which for both bikes has minor surface rust. I haven't seen the engine's running but have been told the last time they were run was around a year ago, all ports have been shut off in order to keep debris out and other things out.

The bike that is able to be registered back onto the road is currently disassembled. The other bike, which is deregistered almost complete with only the tank/fairings and brakes not connected. Fairings are as they are, most of them are cracked or the paint peeling pretty bad if not scraped. My thoughts are to try and source a decent set of fairings or to repair with fibreglass the broken fairings to restore them to their original glory.

Unfortunately I am away for two weeks so I will be unable to work on the bikes, but I might order a few things or plan the best way go about the entire project. As of now I have a few tasks I would like to tackle....

My plan right now is to build up the registered bike, assemble it from the bottom up and clean everything up as I go and do the necessary work. I will use the partially assembled bike as a guide of how things go together. I also have the Haynes Manual, which is insanely detailed

1 What's the best way to clean up the sub-frame? My plan was to brush back/strip to remove all paint & rust and then get them professional powder coated? Any thoughts of this process or tips? And for those in Auckland or NZ estimate a price? Is it worth it, or would just an enamel be just as good?

2 For what I hear online, I believe I should rebuild the brakes with new seals etc Do I really need to and is there anyway to tell if they need a rebuild or just a decent clean? I already have new pads and rotors

3 The engines.....when the time comes, is there anything I should do before putting it back in the bike like routine maintenance or before start up? They have been sitting for a little while now.

4 Exhaust system is looking a little worse for wear...I was thinking clean it up and then paint with heat paint or powder coated would be the best route...thoughts?

I will be trying to update this as much as I make progress. Any thoughts on this thread or post would be appreciated, sorry if it was insanely long!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NZeeeee11
Settled in member
Reactions:
Re: NC23 Rebuild and Restore NZ First Project Bike

Post by NZeeeee11 » Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:41 pm

CB1pod70
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:

Post by CB1pod70 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 3:05 pm

Welcome to the joys of NC23 ownership. Gimly56 on here is a fellow NC23 owning New Zealander so should be able to help you out viewtopic.php?f=69&t=52845

NZeeeee11
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by NZeeeee11 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:27 am

Thank You!! I haven't seen that thread before and looks like it will help me alot.

Icemaestro
Familiar Member
Reactions:

Post by Icemaestro » Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:40 am

NZeeeee11 wrote:Thank You!! I haven't seen that thread before and looks like it will help me alot.

He's the man who has the triple t and headlight! Haha. Best way would be to sand blast and powder coat. Not sure what is out your way sorry though there are plenty in south Auckland.

Brakes - clean Pistons/calipers and fill/bleed system and check operation. Plenty of guides on this as I'm sure they will need a good clean. From memory there are replacement seals in with the bits somewhere, so just replace them. Replacing Pistons would depend on if there is a lot of corrosion affecting movement of Pistons in/out.

NZeeeee11
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by NZeeeee11 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:45 am

I was starting to think that haha. What a small world....Thank you!! That will be the first move then and will keep uploading progress once I get things done in a few weeks!! Any advice on wheel bearings? Like gimly said...It would be a good idea to replace? Cheers

Icemaestro
Familiar Member
Reactions:

Post by Icemaestro » Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:17 am

NZeeeee11 wrote:I was starting to think that haha. What a small world....Thank you!! That will be the first move then and will keep uploading progress once I get things done in a few weeks!! Any advice on wheel bearings? Like gimly said...It would be a good idea to replace? Cheers

Exhaust - high temp paint if you want? Would say not priority right now though and generally hidden.

Engine - change oil and filter, turn engine over without plugs first. Some people put a bit of oil down each cylinder - have a bit of a Google. My vfr I didn't do that and goes well after 3yrs... - I usually do a cheap oil, run a bit and then do an oil change again after a 10-20min run.

Wheel bearings - check them and see :-) I personally change things that need changing haha.

NZeeeee11
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by NZeeeee11 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:21 am

You are a true legend!! And Fair enough with changing bits that need changing haha. I am now very eager to get to work, and being away doesn't help!! I think it will be a full on time once I'm back Thanks again and again and again haha

Gimly56
Reactions:
Bike owned: NC29 CBR400RR

Post by Gimly56 » Sat Apr 22, 2017 11:21 am

Kia ora! The Haynes manual is pretty detailed but if you ever need to know anything urgently or need photos of another NC23 for a reference let me know.

The wheel bearings are a bit of a nuisance to replace if you don't have the right tools. A bearing puller and a bearing press for example. You CAN do it by levering out a bearing but it's easier than you'd think to break the alloy rim. My advice.....if you really wanna replace the wheel bearings buy the bearings and dust seals and take them and the rim to a bike shop.

Send me a PM if you want my contact details too mate.

CB1pod70
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:

Post by CB1pod70 » Mon Apr 24, 2017 12:41 pm

or put the bearings in the freezer overnight and they'll pop straight in. Getting the old ones out can be a pain but use a long drift through the spacer and work your way around the opposite bearing gradually pushing it out a bit at a time but keep it square to the wheel. Once it's part way out the spacer will move out the way making life a lot easier.