Bikemonkeys ZXR400L4 project

This section is reserved for members on the SITE SUPPORTERS group only. Each supporter can post pics of their bikes for all to view. Standard members can read and reply, but the post author has full control over his thread and can edit, delete & lock at will
bikemonkey
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: 92 NC30, 90 VFR750
Re: Bikemonkeys ZXR400L4 project

Post by bikemonkey » Thu Feb 16, 2017 9:13 pm

Not a big update tonight, as I'm now stuck waiting for parts.

Got the rest of the engine cleaned bar the bottom, not having an engine stand is a disadvantage!

Then I set about the valve clearances whilst the engine was out.

This took ages as I hadn't done it on an inline 4 before and 9 of the clearances were out :shock:

All the exhaust clearances and the left no1 cylinder inlet were out of spec - too tight.

I can do some swapping so need 7 shims.

2.90 x2
2.95 x3
3.00 x2

I have already messaged someone about these but if anybody has them I'd be happy to know as this and the swinger bearing is holding me up now!

bikemonkey
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:

Post by bikemonkey » Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:38 pm

Well my new swingarm bearing arrived, but I still haven't managed to source any shims for a reasonable price.

So I heated the swinger to make installing it easier, then hit it in with a correct size socket (which nearly got stuck in the swingarm). It went in fairly easy if I'm honest. Circlip and rest of assy came after.

Then I chucked the frame back up on stands.

Gave the spindle a good coat of some ace anti-seize grease.

Whacked it in and torqued up the nut.

I then installed the rear shock and linkages but forgot to take a picture!

bikemonkey
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:

Post by bikemonkey » Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:25 pm

Another small update. Unfortunately it'll be this way until my new valve shims arrive and I get the engine back in the frame.

Here's the photo I missed yesterday. Shock spring came up quite nice when I cleaned it.

Not much to do other than little bits and bobs so I had these in the paraffin for cleaning.

Then I had a look at the exhaust ports and pulled 9, yes 9 copper gaskets out.

After that I put in some new exhaust studs with a little graphite anti-seize stuff.

That was it for tonight, tomorrow will probably be more of the same, cleaning and stuff!

bikemonkey
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:

Post by bikemonkey » Thu Feb 23, 2017 9:40 pm

Dirty work tonight.

Stripping rusted brackets, and repainting them. But first I had to remove some stubborn fasteners, having to drill one out.

So this little lot got stripped and cleaned.

One of those jobs that takes ages and feels like you're getting nowhere...

Got them painted in their first coat of hammerite and left to dry. May need a second coat tomorrow but we'll see.

bikemonkey
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:

Post by bikemonkey » Fri Feb 24, 2017 9:01 pm

More progress on the dirty/rusty bits of the bikes.

First a second coat of paint for the brackets.

Then I took the rad fan and guard off the rad. The guard screws were an absolute pig, but eventually came free.

Then I cleaned the rad up best I could without going mad straightening fins etc.

Next I turned my attention to the wheels, which will be getting cleaned tomorrow. But for now I checked the bearings and seals.

The front wheels bearings are not good and will be replaced, as will the sprocket carrier. The rear wheel ones are lovely and smooth so shall be left alone. Other than that the paint underneath the dirt looks as though it'll come up nice with a good cleaning.

Cleaned up the sprocket carrier and de-rusted the guard and fan mount ready for painting tomorrow too.

bikemonkey
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:

Post by bikemonkey » Sun Feb 26, 2017 7:38 pm

This weekends update. Well yesterdays, as I was so knackered after this mornings mtb race I just monged on the sofa....

First thing I did was clean the wheels. They came up so well, I think they were painted a few years ago, because the finish is too good to be 22 years old.

These have had their second coat and now look loads better.

Well I thought that I'd done with the drill, I'd even put away. The switchgear had a proper mangled screwhead which was not coming out, so I drilled the head out. Luckily I got the remainder out with some pliers easily.

Also found out the throttle cables are proper buggered. Ewetea (on zxrworld) kindly sold me another push cable yesterday morning when I also went to buy a rear caliper off him. Ordered a new pull cable too.

I was also allowed to borrow Ewetea's engine stand (legend), so I shoved the engine on it and took the frame and swinger apart too. Should make putting everything back together easier. I took the swinger off as I've ordered a used chain set in good nick and it's already riveted together.

Finally got round to putting the first coat of hammerite on the rad guard and rad fan bracket.

That was all I managed on Saturday as I was also prepping the NC30 for a trackday next weekend.

I really am just waiting for parts and a couple of tools now, so things are on hold til then.

bikemonkey
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:

Post by bikemonkey » Wed Mar 01, 2017 12:45 pm

A lot of stuff turned up with the postman yesterday, so I got cracking last night.

Forks were seen to first, new oil and seals with a full strip and inspect. Luckily the bushes were in good condition and the forks seemed as though they had not long been serviced.

One of the stanchions was perfect with no pitting or marks, the other had a few bits on the inside of the leg.

So I took the sharpness out of the imperfections with some 2000 grit wet and dry used with some WD40, then polished up with autosol to remove the tiny scratches put in.

Fitting the new seals I taped up the top of the stanchion where the top bush sits to avoid catching the seals on the sharp edges.

Then put in the 424ml of oil into each leg with a syringe to make sure it was accurate.

Put the forks back together and left torquing the top nut until I put them back in the frame.

Next was valve shim replacement time.

No major dramas here as the engine was out on it's own. However I did manage to drop a shim down the camchain tunnel when changing the furthest right exhaust shim. So I taped a small strong magnet to the end of my longest thinnest screwdriver and retrieved the blighter from the small shelf it had settled itself on.

After that debacle I plonked the frame back on and torqued up the mounting bolts.

After some fiddling about with a trolley jack, some bricks and a bit of brute force I manged to get the frame back onto stands fairly easily on my own. Mostly due to the near perfect height the engine was sat at on the stand.

Then I stormed ahead and fitted the forks, torqued the top nuts and slotted the swinger in. However whilst writing this I realise that I should have put the chain in first before the swinger, so that'll have to come out yet again...

Last thing was to fit new throttle cables as the old ones were proper buggered and stick the clip-ons back on.

Job list tonight starts with an oil change and getting that chain on....

bikemonkey
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:

Post by bikemonkey » Wed Mar 01, 2017 10:16 pm

Oil change, nice and black.

Filter changed too, new filter came with bike. Wouldn't use K & N otherwise.

Then I thought I'd put the wiring loom back in as there's nothing really in the way.

Also plonked the subframe and clocks back on too and reconnected all the electrics back up. Forgot to get a picture of this however.

Lastly I got time to re-fit the exhaust with new washers and nuts.

Probably won't get a lot done tomorrow, but if the new wheel bearings turn up then I'll chuck the front wheel back in as I need the stand for potential wheel change on the NC30 at the track on Sunday.

bikemonkey
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:

Post by bikemonkey » Thu Mar 02, 2017 9:59 pm

Well luckily I finished work really early today and managed to get a boat load more done.

My wheel bearings arrived so I knocked those in and reassembled the wheels.

Next I put the rad back on, looks so much better with them cleaned up and guard painted.

Then remembering that the rear brake torque arm looked a pig to put back in and needed split-pinning too I plonked that in before I added anything else to the rear.

After that I put the rear wheel in, tensioned the chain and fitted the new brake caliper. I seem to be missing the washer that goes under the rear wheel nut though, as the pin hole in the bolt is too far from the nut castellations when tight.

After that I wanted to get it back on it's black stands to free up the under-headstock stand for any possible wheel changes at Cadwell on Sunday. So on with the front mudguard first. I put a bit of anti-seize on the bolts to save them from being drilled out again in the future. Then came the juggling of the front wheel whilst trying to keep everything in it's place whilst sliding the axle in.

Now that the abba stand was out the way and not using the rearset lugs I put the rear sets back on, re-fitted the rear brake line, sprocket cover and left side coolant pipe.

Lastly I managed to get the exhaust can on before I had to pack up the car and get the NC on the trailer ready to go home tomorrow.

Next week I hope to bleed the rear brake, fit and bleed the front brake, fit the carbs and airbox, balance the carbs, flush and fill the cooling system (hopefully find that leak), and give it a shakedown run before MOT.

Sounds ambitious though.

CB1pod70
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:

Post by CB1pod70 » Mon Mar 06, 2017 3:12 pm

You're cracking on with that...