Crusty the track bike

This section is reserved for members on the SITE SUPPORTERS group only. Each supporter can post pics of their bikes for all to view. Standard members can read and reply, but the post author has full control over his thread and can edit, delete & lock at will
pptom
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: Nc23 x 2 and an nc30
Crusty the track bike

Post by pptom » Mon Dec 07, 2015 6:46 pm

As my previous build is drawing to a conclusion I kept my eyes peeled for something else. Looked at loads of things including smokers (pricey) and old fireblades (pricey and massive)
This popped up for sale, so I got straight on the phone and snapped it up

Turns out its an original UK bike with oil cooler etc, came with a V5 and spare 17" wheel.
Also has a Hagon shock and Ethos half system, albeit slightly 'modified'

pptom
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:
Re: Crusty the track bike

Post by pptom » Mon Dec 07, 2015 6:59 pm

Its been stored since 2006 apparently (in a damp shed by the looks of it), but starts on the button. filled with quite strong, clean coolant so not too worried about sub zero damage - oil was proper thick and very dark though.

Tore into it tonight after work, carbs off and the mains are 114 all round, which I've just checked and seems a bit strange for a UK bike - perhaps they're dynojets? - need to have a closer look - the carbs have definitely been off before - one of the rubbers is slightly damaged.
Fork springs feel standard + various brackets that could have been removed haven't.

Plans are to refresh everything and take off a bit of weight to use as a track bike next year and try not to get over excited and blow the budget!
Thinking fork upgrade, shock upgrade, possibly total loss with a lithium battery, jet properly etc

Just before I get too carried away - is there any value in a UK subframe? I know its only a little bit different, but I'd rather not chop bits off it if its of use to someone else.

28hodge
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: nc30 (track) Yam YZ250 (MX)2st

Post by 28hodge » Tue Dec 08, 2015 11:10 am

Was watching this on eBay thinking it was a good starting point for a good solid track bike.

If it were me i'd sell the 17" RVF rear and use the funds to get a VFR750 rear hub conversion so that you have 2 17" rears.

RO fork internals (guessing the forks are late type?) and a decent shock (assuming its the budget hagon)

Service the calipers and replace the seals and clean the pistons up then ride it - LOTS.

Keep pics coming from this

VFRkieran
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: NC30, NSR250, CBR600, TS125

Post by VFRkieran » Wed Dec 16, 2015 1:49 pm

I was watching this on eBay too, looks like a good bike if it was cheap enough. I'll echo Kurt's comments, service it so the brakes and suspension are bob on, get a set of scrubs and spend the rest on Trackdays you will love it.

pptom
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:

Post by pptom » Wed Dec 16, 2015 3:16 pm

Been a bit slack with pics of this one - I missed Hodge's reply and didn't think anyone was interested in another build thread!
Payday yesterday, so ordered the bulk of parts - everything for a brake system rebuild, RO fork springs, jets, gaskets etc etc. Trying to keep this one to a fairly tight budget, but doing everything necessary so its reliable through the year.
I stripped the Hagon shock and had the spring powdercoated - put it back together last night and I'm in the process of fitting that to my other NC30 (road bike), it actually looks to have had very little usage and would be a shame to waste it. The other bike currently has a BMW shock and HRC link fitted, so that will go on this track bike.
Checked the valve clearances last night and all were spot on.
Chopped the subframe down as per the HRC manual, blasted it and painted.

Thinking of going total loss with a Lithium battery? I'd also like to pick up some tyre warmers this winter, so should be near a power supply to top up the battery a couple of times a day, may even end up with a genny.
Anyone have any leads for scrubs? there seems to be loads about suited to 600 / 1000's, but not much smaller around.
Tom

pptom
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:

Post by pptom » Wed Dec 16, 2015 7:12 pm

When I removed the half system, one of the manifold nuts was pretty well stuck. I kind of knew what was going to happen, and kept turning until the stud sheared. 'Whipped' that off tonight and welded a new bolt / stud in place

That manifold has got to be the most awkward thing about these bikes. It was clearly designed to be installed when the engine is out of the frame.

And this is how I've left things tonight

While the cam covers were off I couldn't resist blasting and painting them, don't know why, no-one will ever see them.
As you can see, the brakes are off the bike, waiting to be stripped with the pistons pushed mostly out beforehand. Front pistons look in great condition but the rears were pretty solid and have a few specs of rust, though they moved eventually. Hopefully I can save them.

Need to give everything a good clean before going any further, then I think I'll concentrate on the rear end first (hub, shock, exhaust, subframe), finishing that before I move to the front (forks, yoke, clocks, rads).

VFRkieran
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by VFRkieran » Thu Dec 17, 2015 1:56 pm

IMO keep the charging system and go without warmers for Trackdays, there is a noticeable difference without the flywheel and when racing I think it makes a difference but for a track bike where you have to charge it up every 20 minutes it would be a ballache.

And tyre warmers I think are only beneficial in the first lap and a half of a race, on a TD even in the fast group I personally think it's a bit unnecessary as the first couple of laps are a bit of a wobble around at a slow pace.

vfrman
Reactions:
Bike owned: NC30, 1098s

Post by vfrman » Thu Dec 17, 2015 3:05 pm

Sorry VFRkieran, I have to disagree with the tire warmer thing. Even for track days they help extend the life of your tire by limiting the temp cycles the carcass experiences.

VFRkieran
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by VFRkieran » Fri Dec 18, 2015 8:10 pm

Fair one on that point,but I wouldn't say tyre wear would be awful on one set of lightly used scrubs I got 2 Trackdays, and 4 race weekends and by the last race weekend they where well past thier best. All depends on what tyre pressures your running and how well your suspension is set up.

vfrman
Reactions:
Bike owned: NC30, 1098s

Post by vfrman » Fri Dec 18, 2015 10:10 pm

Indeed. The warmers are just one slice of that pie.