Crusty the track bike

This section is reserved for members on the SITE SUPPORTERS group only. Each supporter can post pics of their bikes for all to view. Standard members can read and reply, but the post author has full control over his thread and can edit, delete & lock at will
pptom
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: Nc23 x 2 and an nc30
Re: Crusty the track bike

Post by pptom » Thu Jan 28, 2016 7:02 pm

Front sprocket turned up and fits perfectly, chain on, clutch cable on and obligatory garage burnout completed.
Finished setting the sag this morning.
Front is 15mm static and 25 or 30 rider (forgot) with Rick O track spec springs
Rear with bmw shock + standard spring and HRC link I had to set to 8mm static to get around 25mm rider sag. With 5mm static I was only getting 20mm rider. I had to increase the preload by turning the adjuster ring 2 full turns from 'standard' assuming the bmw owner of the low miles shock didn't change it.
Both done with an empty fuel tank.
I'll see how it goes, will probably pay someone at a trackday to do a proper setup.

vfrman
Reactions:
Bike owned: NC30, 1098s

Post by vfrman » Sat Jan 30, 2016 1:21 pm

Nice work on the tank rubbers. Those look considerably more robust than the stock ones.

pptom
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:

Post by pptom » Sat Jan 30, 2016 5:27 pm

Thanks.
Got the fairings back on this morning.

And of course i then couldn't resist a cheeky little ride up the road and back.
Pulled out of the concrete drive that goes round the back of our house onto the road and promptly span the back wheel, did a 180 and landed on its side! Was just like there was ice on the road, thats a combination of brand new tyres, maybe picked up some dirt / water on the track and cold conditions. Pulled out of here times and never had that before, oh well, i was only doing about 2mph so no real damage done.
Slight scuff on the bar end and a couple on the already scuffed plastics.
Picked it up and carried on, man it rides nice, pulls really well and quickly to the redline. Having never ridden an nc30 before i found first gear a bit odd, feels more like second!
Looking forward to getting on track now.

CB1pod70
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:

Post by CB1pod70 » Sat Jan 30, 2016 8:21 pm

Not looking so crusty now - nice job. Oh the joys of new tyres, at least you hadn't just re sprayed it.

CB1pod70
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:

Post by CB1pod70 » Sat Jan 30, 2016 8:22 pm

Not looking so crusty now - nice job. Oh the joys of new tyres, at least you hadn't just re sprayed it.
Many thanks for the carb bits too

richyrd5
Reactions:

Post by richyrd5 » Sun Jan 31, 2016 6:07 pm

Aw tom ya nutter!!!..least you weren't going fast....looking very nice that is now chap.fair dooz.

pptom
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:

Post by pptom » Sun Jan 31, 2016 6:52 pm

Idiot more like!
Had to take my sp1 out for a spin after too. I was bricking it pulling out on that!

royster81
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: VFR400R-L NC30 CBR400RR-R NC29

Post by royster81 » Sun Jan 31, 2016 8:59 pm

This is a great thread. I love track bikes like this, it reminds me of my old one.
It's not having what you want but wanting what you've got....Loud ,Proud and Modified ....

richyrd5
Reactions:

Post by richyrd5 » Sat Apr 14, 2018 9:10 am

Hi tom,forgot about this thread!!excellent work buddy..looking great....

pptom
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:

Post by pptom » Sat Apr 14, 2018 6:23 pm

Thanks, the bike has been revised heavily since. Decided to turn it into a road bike, so it's now got the Hrc link and BMW shock, silhouette type 1 fairings, all fasteners have been plated, engine covers and fork bottoms painted, carbs have been stripped to components, ultrasonically cleaned various bits plated and original UK spec jetting fitted, brand new rads and I'm just about finished painting the tank in type 1 colours, bit annoying as I decided to add a couple more coats of clear and copped some runs which I now have to remove.
I'll have to have a look at the new procedure for pictures, not bothered with anything since photobucket made the changes.