Crusty the track bike

This section is reserved for members on the SITE SUPPORTERS group only. Each supporter can post pics of their bikes for all to view. Standard members can read and reply, but the post author has full control over his thread and can edit, delete & lock at will
pptom
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: Nc23 x 2 and an nc30
Re: Crusty the track bike

Post by pptom » Fri Jan 15, 2016 2:19 am

Cleaned up the old bar ends the other day

They appear to be stainless, so I'll probably leave them bare
Then turned up some new aluminium bars, with m6 helicoiled threads in the end to take the bar ends

pptom
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:

Post by pptom » Fri Jan 15, 2016 2:27 am

double post!
Last edited by pptom on Fri Jan 15, 2016 2:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

pptom
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:

Post by pptom » Fri Jan 15, 2016 2:28 am

I've also been thinking about the undertray. Since I cut down the subframe as per the HRC book I was going to do the same with the undertray. Problem the was that I'd have to make something to stop water and crap getting up under the seat into the cdi area and move that, so decided it wasn't worth the weight reduction. As you may be able to see, it's been slightly modified / repaired anyway.
With the rear of the subframe removed I'd also lost the 2 rear mounts, so drilled some strategic holes through the undertray so it could be cable tied to the subframe.

Added a couple more cable ties for safety after the pictures were taken

GeeTee
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: NC30 & GSXR750K4

Post by GeeTee » Fri Jan 15, 2016 9:40 am

vfrman wrote:Sorry VFRkieran, I have to disagree with the tire warmer thing. Even for track days they help extend the life of your tire by limiting the temp cycles the carcass experiences.
Ditto

I was sceptical about the benefits until I started using them in 2014. Makes a huge difference to grip levels in opening laps of a session, especially in cool conditions where it's difficult to get heat in the tyres. Track day sessions last 8-10 laps on average, so if you are pottering around for two of them warming tyres that's wasting 25% of yor track time IMO

This is even more critical on tracks biased to one side of tyre - Brands indy is a good example

Graham hill bend is the only real left hander on the entire lap, and is notorious for cold tyre high or low sides

pptom
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:

Post by pptom » Sun Jan 17, 2016 6:19 pm

Not much of an update, but I fitted some new Rear pads and bled the mc using my new vacuum bleeder yesterday.
Then went on to getting the Chinese rads fitted. Bottom was no problem as I'm running without a fan I could get it a little further back - this was the problem fitting it to the road bike. The top rad just won't go at all, there's no way it will fit with the oil cooler pipes, if I make it clear the pipes it fouls the yoke etc so I gave up.
This morning I decided to sort the carbon can out. It needs to get under the db limit and I don't want to be turned away for being too loud. Drilled out the rivets and removed the packing.

It looks worse than it was, no packing missing and it was pretty tight although a bit burned. New packing fitted, along with a baffle. Fingers crossed it should be ok, but I won't know until I get to the first trackway.

pptom
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:

Post by pptom » Sun Jan 17, 2016 6:28 pm

Oh, also ordered some tyres. Gone with bt090's.
My thought process was they're plenty good enough, probably better than me, they're pretty cheap at £147 delivered and I can use the 18" rear wheel. The 17 can remain as a spare with the possibility of using that for wets if I can find some.
Was looking for some supercorsa scrubs, but nothing came up and they're a fortune new, I'll keep my eyes peeled through the season.
The money saved can go towards some warmers.

28hodge
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: nc30 (track) Yam YZ250 (MX)2st

Post by 28hodge » Mon Jan 18, 2016 10:01 am

Sorry i forgot to get back to you regarding tyres.

The supercorsas are reayyly good obviously but there are a couple of other options now.

The Avon 3d ultra extremes are good and i know a few that race on these and also the continental race attack comp.

Both plenty good enough and used by lads in the ediasia F400 to race on and cheaper than the supercorsa's

pptom
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:

Post by pptom » Sat Jan 23, 2016 7:06 pm

New tyres and valves fitted, rotor and stator removed, put the tank on, stuck some oil in and fired it up.
Only breifly as i've not finished the cooling system yet, but it runs nice, a bit raspy, revs clean.
The old front sprocket was a little loose on the shaft, so i ordered a replacement jt one which fits the shaft perfectly but stupidly ordered a 525 one when my current setup is 520 :roll: (see for sale section) so i can't fit the chain yet which is frustrating.
Just top rad, rear sag and the fairings to go, then i need to find somewhere thats not a public highway for a shakedown test to scrub the tyres in and bed the brakes etc. (When the weather is nicer)

iDemonix
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: '92 NC30

Post by iDemonix » Sun Jan 24, 2016 5:09 pm

As I'm about to be doing something similar, following this!
A roaring V4 is the summer soundtrack.

pptom
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:

Post by pptom » Tue Jan 26, 2016 5:57 pm

Replacement top rad fitted thanks to Rhory, ran for about 10 mins yesterday and today with no problems. Heard back from JT sprockets that the correct part number for a 520 14 tooth front sprocket is jtf1299, so I've ordered one of them. The diagram shows it 0.1mm thinner than an original version one, hopefully it will be ok.

Tonight I dealt with the lack of tank side rubbers, got a decent front and rear one. Since I'm going to be hanging off the bike and bracing myself against the tank, the rubbers are essential, without them it flexes slightly.
I glued together 3 strips of rubber the other day and left them in the vice overnight.

Linished the edges smooth, then cut a slot down the middle to take the seam of the tank

They both fit rather well and more importantly the tank is now rigid on its 4 rubber mounts.

Was tempted to put the fairings on tonight, but realised I have no mesh in front of the lower rad, so just ordered some, when that arrives I'll have one more check of the fluids and dress her up.
Hopefully the battery will be here tomorrow too, gone for a bog standard yuasa ytx9 for now, sounds like a faff charging lithiums as I've not got the correct charger and I've saved about £30.
Love how they look from behind with no bodywork, nice and slim