FZR RRSP 3TJ7

This section is reserved for members on the SITE SUPPORTERS group only. Each supporter can post pics of their bikes for all to view. Standard members can read and reply, but the post author has full control over his thread and can edit, delete & lock at will
Drunkn Munky
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: NC30 MC21 TZR FZR GSXR RG MITO
FZR RRSP 3TJ7

Post by Drunkn Munky » Mon Apr 28, 2014 1:50 pm

Think ive owned this bike since late last year sometime and to date it hasnt turned a wheel, mainly because im lazy :o but also due to being busy and a few problems along to way. Ive contemplated selling it a few times and sticking with honda but even with its shell suit 90's design and the issues it has theres something about it i really like so a for the meantime atleast its staying.

The main reason for not riding it so far has been the FCR's and the ridiculously long wait for BDK to weld up and retap some of the float bowls, i did have a set of CV's here for it but after discovering i also needed new throttle cables, choke cable, inlet stacks and airbox rubbers to suit the CV's i decided to wait as i really wanted it as it left the factory even if it was crap to fuel on the road. The FCR's did turn up maybe a month or so ago and eager with excitement i got some new float bowl seals and set about leak testing them on the bench, fail! the carbs leaked still from what looked to me out of the repairs that BDK did (sorry kris i didnt have the heart to tell you after the hassle you had with BDK). Totally pissed off with those they got pushed to the back of the cupboard and i haven't looked at them since, here they are in all their glory complete with restricted inlets
So onto the CV's, i managed to find in the box of spares a set of CV inlet stacks and fitted the carbs to the bike. Thats when i realised after lots of swearing trying to get the airbox on that the airbox rubbers were also different, abandoned that and cobbled up a throttle cable so i could atleast hear it run and after a few stabs of the starter it came to life :grin:
After some time i got a set of airbox rubbers softened up enough to enable me to fit the airbox so on with that and then the bloody thing wouldnt run, it would start, rev to maybe 3k ish, drop to 1k then die time and time again. Thought i should really strip and inspect these carbs and upon doing so im pretty sure there the reason it wont run, gummed up and dried stale fuel everywhere so there now scrubbed clean and coated with ACF50 to make em nice and shiney :roll:
Some monkey had ruined one of the slide rubbers by pinching it when refitting the cover so im just waiting on one of these and a spring for the pilot screw which was missing.

So thats where we are, still havent rode it but after many wobbles im keeping it ive even splashed out on a new set of Rosso 2's to replace the new dunlops that were fitted so im committed now lol. Id like to think im going to keep it standard but lurking in the loft is a full Ti system for one and a tasty ally rad so i dunno, Ive heard ditching the the EXUP makes the already bad midrange worse so im reluctant to remove the stock pipe but dam it looks sooooo heavy
Last edited by Drunkn Munky on Mon Jun 23, 2014 11:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Drunkn Munky
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Re: FZR RRSP 3Tj7

Post by Drunkn Munky » Tue Apr 29, 2014 9:15 pm

After dropping a screwdriver on the bench and scattering most of the jets all over the place i've been trying to work out what goes where, the task was made even harder as most of the markings on the jets are barely visible. From using a magnifying glass and basically holding the jets up to the light to visually tell them apart i think ive got them all in place but could someone confirm which is main jet and which is air jet position please
I've got bottom = main jet and above right of that = pilot air jet.

Also is there meant to be anything in that 3rd hole? theres a jet right down the bottom but its threaded all the way to the top as if theres meant to be something there
Last edited by Drunkn Munky on Wed Apr 30, 2014 9:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Maelstrom
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: MC22, 3TJ1

Post by Maelstrom » Wed Apr 30, 2014 3:54 pm

This shows a clear image of the main jet.
http://www.litetek.co/Guide_MikuniBDST_ ... qRing.html
I would suggest asking Matt Harper at Harper's Ultrasonic about the FCRs.
It is with his assistance that we were able to do the mid-body seals for the FCR.
cheers
Blair
Carb seal kits in viton & other parts
https://litetek.co

maccas
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by maccas » Wed Apr 30, 2014 4:07 pm

The jet to the right above the main jet is the starter jet for the choke circuit. The pilot jet should screw into the 3rd hole.

Dan

Drunkn Munky
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by Drunkn Munky » Wed May 14, 2014 9:34 pm

Cheers guys, i managed to source another set of carbs although not in great condition i was able to rob them of the parts needed to complete the set i had. Still no joy with getting it running though, it started when i first fitted the carbs but cut out after a few seconds and haven't been able to get it catch since.

Carbs are thoroughly cleaned and set as per the manual
Carbs are getting fuel, pump primes and stops as it should
Plugs look new and are sparking, gap checked

My judgement maybe a bit off after spending night after night getting high on petrol fumes but anyone have any ideas? offers to buy? swap? :grin:

mattUKNC
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: Fury, NC30, CRF250L and a C90!

Post by mattUKNC » Thu May 15, 2014 10:32 am

Have you checked the kill switch?! :whistle:

Drunkn Munky
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by Drunkn Munky » Thu May 15, 2014 10:55 am

Yes! :Ass:

maccas
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by maccas » Thu May 15, 2014 5:51 pm

Was this all off the starter motor mate? If so try finding some helpers to push you down the road. Might just get it going. Worked for me many times.

Dan

Drunkn Munky
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by Drunkn Munky » Thu May 15, 2014 6:14 pm

Yep all off the starter motor, battery is strong though and turns the motor over with ease. Bumping it is out of the question I live on top of a hill so pushing it back up if it doesnt start will be a nightmare as I found out a few weeks back when we had to push the rvf home.

Ive just tried a new set of plugs to rule out the possibility that I killed the previous ones but still no joy, I was going to try the 4dx cdi I have spare but need to mod the loom slightly.

Im running off a aux fuel tank for the moment so the wiring connector isnt plugged into the bottom of the tank, will this make any difference? Just clutching at straws here.

Although the plugs are sparking I guess it wont hurt to test the coils if thats possible?

Drunkn Munky
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by Drunkn Munky » Thu May 15, 2014 7:42 pm

Coils tested and they give no secondary resistance with the caps fitted but do without so caps are fooked, bit odd all 4 have gone together though isnt it?