Dan's NC30 - Part #2

This section is reserved for members on the SITE SUPPORTERS group only. Each supporter can post pics of their bikes for all to view. Standard members can read and reply, but the post author has full control over his thread and can edit, delete & lock at will
iDemonix
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: '92 NC30
Dan's NC30 - Part #2

Post by iDemonix » Mon Mar 31, 2014 9:22 pm

Evening all.

Here's part 1: viewtopic.php?f=62&t=25709&start=70

So what's the crack? I've owned this bike several years since passing my test, but she's never had the full attention she deserves because something gets in the way each summer. Around 18 months ago I destroyed 2nd gear whilst out for a hoon. I got a replacement engine from Graeme France and planned a complete rebuild of the bike. Took the bike to pieces and then I got a job offer from a company in Abingdon and immediately had to move. Life got quite hectic so I had to go back, put the new engine in and rush everything else to get it through an MOT so I could ride it to my new place in Banbury. Got it MOT'd ( tester may have looked the other way regarding a few things ;) ), rode it to my new place and then it got left really as it wasn't finished and the tax/insurance ran out.

So, I finally have some spare time and money again (well, only just!) and with summer practically a month away, it's about time I got her back outside! So, yesterday, I started a strip down, here's how it's going:

My lovely helper

Nut has come off inside the frame :/

Keep organised with cardboard!

As you can see, there's a lot to do! Here's the plan:
  • Chain and Sprockets (ordered) - gone down a tooth on the front
  • Headlight relay connectors - something is loose, headlight flickers
  • Carb needles - Bought new Rick O needles, need fitting and then carbs balancing
  • Fit new radiators - Arrived today!
  • Front brakes are binding, need to investigate how much work required here
  • Speedo has stopped working - need to order a new cable
  • Replace all clock bulbs
  • Cosmetics - I suck at this so probably won't attempt too many touch ups
  • Fairing clips - all knackered, need to go round and replace whilst repairing mounts
  • Repair seat mounts - snapped off :(
  • Tail section repairs - H piece clips have broken
  • Sticky throttle fix - need to investigate whether new cable is required
  • Replace grips - maybe, current ones have gone very smooth!
  • Clean her!
Along the way I'll be greasing everything, copper slipping all bolts/screws and generally trying to give her a good tidy up!

Here are some questions I need help with:
  • Any tips on flushing the coolant system without a hosepipe, I live in a flat, so no hose!
  • Can't afford to do forks for a while - they're only pitted at the top, should that be ok for a while?
  • The infil bolt pictured above - the nut inside the frame has come loose, bolt just spins, may have to drill it out - but if I do this how can I replace it?
  • Anyone repaired the seat mounts before? Got a plastic repair kit but wondering whether I need to strengthen it even more somehow...
Thanks for reading, would appreciate some help with the questions above. Will try keep the thread updated with photos as I go along to keep people interested!
A roaring V4 is the summer soundtrack.