ZXR 750 H1 in Green White and Blue

This section is reserved for members on the SITE SUPPORTERS group only. Each supporter can post pics of their bikes for all to view. Standard members can read and reply, but the post author has full control over his thread and can edit, delete & lock at will
philfingers
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: NC30 Type 7
Re: ZXR 750 H1 in Green White and Blue

Post by philfingers » Sun Dec 08, 2013 5:10 pm

Well this alternator has given me some grief the last few months.
Once I'd established that the alternator didn't seem to be charging I needed to use the bike for a 60mile trip. So as the battery was charged I ran it without the lights on. It was starting to misfire at low RPMs. and finally stopped just 100yds from the house. Pulling the brake light on was enough to drop the voltage and I surmise the coils didn't fire.
It was only when I got home I realised I'd hadn't accounted for the electric fuel pump, doh! At least 60 miles was reasonable!
The belt was still going around, so it wasn't the belt that was buggered again.
I pulled the alt out, hooked it up on the bench and drove it with an electric drill, whilst it was all connected to a battery on the bench. I had to limit the rev's on the drill, as it would have blown the 10A fuse, so it was putting out the current and voltage was up at 14.5v.
So I stuck it back on the bike, which is a right pain. Tank, airbox and carbs off. Tho I later realised you can just lift the carbs/airbox up a little. The issue is you can fit the alternator from the side, but you can't see if the belt is aligned right. That pesky belt is £25. Now the belt, which had been new and gone hard in one part and had taken a 'set'. So the alternator would work fine for about 2mins, then stop charging. The belt was still going around.
So alt off again, back in the vice, I had it charging a car battery for 10mins, no problem. How bizarre.
Back on the bike it did the same as before, stopped charging at 2mins.
So a local breaker had a GPX750 one, which I was told was the basis of the ZXR motor in the H1 bike. So I bought that and guess what, it's very slightly smaller, 110mm between centres, the ZXR is 115mm.
So I found a guy breaking a fire damaged ZXR. He assured me the alternator was fine and it had a nearly new belt. So I went to buy it, the insides had got very hot in the fire and the wire was gone as it had melted. Most people were asking £40 for a used alt plus post, another tenner. So we agreed on £25 for this one as it had a new belt.
Once I swapped the wires over from my old one, and fitted it, it seemed to do exactly the same. Run for 2 mins and then stop.
By now I was convinced it was down to the belt tension, that after 2mins the belt was stretching slightly due to it getting warmer and as a result was a slipping. Although I've had it slip in the past and it screeched like a car alternator with a loose belt.
There's a special tool for tensioning the alternator available from Kawasaki. I decided to make one, it fits in the engine mounting bolt hole. Tension the alternator to 16nm and then tighten the mounting bolts. Once I did this it's seemed to have worked fine. Here's the tool. It's painted red as I was attempting to paint the NC front mudguard, I tell you 2k lacquer is a swine to get off, as I screwed up and put too much on.
NC30 type 7, mods: Art can, Ohlins shock & RO fork kit

lip
Settled in member
Reactions:
Bike owned: vfr 400 nc30, zxr 750 l1

Post by lip » Mon Mar 17, 2014 11:11 am

Any more progress on this Phil?

philfingers
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by philfingers » Mon Mar 17, 2014 2:26 pm

not really, it's sat in the garage gathering dust. I finished the KR1-S and have used that a few times and MOT'd the NC30 last week so will tax that when i get a chance to use it. Won't be selling the ZXR tho. I have a ZX9R maxton shock to go on it when i get a chance

lip
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by lip » Tue Mar 18, 2014 11:18 am

Promising plans then mate, good news on the kr1 aswell

philfingers
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by philfingers » Tue Mar 18, 2014 11:23 am

thanks, will post a pic of them together when i get chance

NGneer
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: x3 NC30,Matchless G80s AJS16ms

Post by NGneer » Tue Mar 18, 2014 5:29 pm

Looks ossum Phil - very nice.

I test rode one of these way back and as much as I loved it - I thought i was just going to kill myself VERY quickly :shock:

I decided on something a bit more sensible at the time....and bought my first NC30 instead :grin:

lip
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by lip » Sat Mar 22, 2014 1:53 pm

[quote="NGneer"]Looks ossum Phil - very nice.

I test rode one of these way back and as much as I loved it - I thought i was just going to kill myself VERY quickly :shock:
[url=http://s56.photobucket.com/user/VFR400R ... 9.jpg.html][img]http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g175/ ... 27ef39.jpg[/img][/url]

I decided on something a bit more sensible at the time....and bought my first NC30 instead :grin:[/quote]

They go well for an overweight machine don't they lol

philfingers
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by philfingers » Sat Mar 22, 2014 7:45 pm

mine's great and taking it steady ish at 80 on the motorway will squeek 190 miles out of a tank!
in Green it also has a lot of road presence

lip
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by lip » Sun Mar 23, 2014 2:13 pm

They do look harder than a head butt in your rear view mirror

egonski
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by egonski » Sat Apr 05, 2014 3:42 pm

Just seen this, bloody good read and a lovely bike as well. I see that your last post was a while ago, how's it going, all done or in the back of the garage like mine seem to end up!. Great choice for a project, I had a ZXr400 as my first sports bike and have always had a soft spot for that colour scheme.

Ian