Donks 76a

This section is reserved for members on the SITE SUPPORTERS group only. Each supporter can post pics of their bikes for all to view. Standard members can read and reply, but the post author has full control over his thread and can edit, delete & lock at will
ireson75
Settled in member
Reactions:
Re: Donks 76a

Post by ireson75 » Tue Nov 12, 2013 2:24 pm

Top work, find that enthusiasm and keep at it!

donk
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: Gk76a x2

Post by donk » Tue Nov 12, 2013 7:06 pm

ireson75 wrote:Top work, find that enthusiasm and keep at it!
jim157 wrote:Yeah, that colour scheme looks great with the pearl white.
Zippy wrote:That's going to look lovely once it's finished.
Thanks chaps I think it's going to look good it's just time and money now so ill just hope for next summer still a lot to do. I think I'm going to be quite worried about riding it now tho
nickbawt wrote:Wow, thats going to look amazing. Are they on original panels? If so, did you just give them the fairing and they did all the prep/paint/decal etc?

What other bits do you have planned for it? doesnt look like it needs much.
Cheers mate yes original panels apart from the seat unit I got the stickers off and rubbed the panels down somewhere near to keep the costs down and it was still a lot of money because I wanted a top job.all the logos ect are painted on in airbrush so there's no decals at all its as smooth as anything . Still a lot to do I need a rear shock,linkage bearings,caliper rebuilds ,brake lines, more nickel plating ,the clocks are in bits to paint all the brackets , header pipes the list is endless really . I've had a fair few bikes but nothing as fun as the small stuff I love the 400's /250's the big modern stuff is not for me anymore unless it's a touring bike so I've got quite attached to the gixxer and probably put to much money into it but I'd rather have it than an r1 ect I've tried to take some close ups of the logos but my camera phone is quite not good to be fair
ImageImageImage
Last edited by donk on Wed Sep 03, 2014 12:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

donk
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by donk » Mon Nov 25, 2013 6:15 pm

I had a little time today so I had to try the single seat unit on. it I like it lots I'm glad I went for the single seat unit option now
ImageImage
Last edited by donk on Wed Sep 03, 2014 11:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

alexwitham
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: 675R, GSXR6, NC30

Post by alexwitham » Mon Nov 25, 2013 11:21 pm

That looks great

Maelstrom
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: MC22, 3TJ1

Post by Maelstrom » Mon Nov 25, 2013 11:49 pm

Very nice work. NO STICKERS just brilliant! It is great to see someone detailing another 400 like this. Keep up the good work.
cheers
Blair
Carb seal kits in viton & other parts
https://litetek.co

donk
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by donk » Wed Sep 03, 2014 12:38 pm

Had a little time recently so I thought I'd have ago at the k6/k7 shock conversion everyone does. I've had one kicking about for a while so I gave it a good clean and powder coated the spring .Image
I had to replace a couple of bearings in the linkage and take a grinder to it to hollow it out to stop the shock catching . I didn't want to grind it and leave it so I got some wet and dry on it and gave it a bit of a polish to make it a bit more uniform and look a bit better
ImageImage
I bolted the shock in it looks much better than the old one
I've packed out the dog bones with washers to stop the spring catching . All the clearance around the shock seems very close to me around the swingarm and dog bones but everyone says they haven't had a problem with it ,we'll see when I get it on the road.
All in all I found it a bastard of a job to be fair grinding out the linkage and keep trying it and getting the shock in and out of the swingarm . I found the easiest way was to take the 2 bottom bolts out off the subframe and tilt it up to give you more room . I suppose it's saved a few quid which is good but I don't like the clearance issues around the shock .

donk
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by donk » Fri Apr 10, 2015 9:50 pm

Some new header pipes eventually Image
Starting to paint the casing Image
Rebuilt a spare thermostat next to the old one Image
Rebuilt the footrest hangers Image

donk
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by donk » Sun Apr 12, 2015 6:57 pm

Engine casing is painted and back on with new gasket and bolts . The header pipes are on. A bit of a pain in the ass to fit on your own really .

richyrd5
Reactions:

Post by richyrd5 » Sun Apr 12, 2015 8:50 pm

that is nice!!looking forward to seeing this done,(dont wanna swap for a nc30!! :whistle: )

donk
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by donk » Mon Apr 13, 2015 9:30 pm

richyrd5 wrote:that is nice!!looking forward to seeing this done,(dont wanna swap for a nc30!! :whistle: )
Cheers mate ha to be fair I wouldn't mind to have a go at a honda but they are so expensive to start with something decent. I like nc's but my mates just got a standard cbr 400 gull arm and I've never really had a good look at one till last week and I really really like it .going off the subject I popped in to machine mart for a new air blow gun and didn't know you could get a water wash gun that you can plug into the compressor and plug the hose pipe in. It's got a bit more poke and finer jet than the hose pipe guns but not so severe as the jet wash. Ok it leaks a bit but it's made my weekend for £9 I don't know if anyone else has seen one before or is it just me who should get Out more Image