Nc30 track toy

This section is reserved for members on the SITE SUPPORTERS group only. Each supporter can post pics of their bikes for all to view. Standard members can read and reply, but the post author has full control over his thread and can edit, delete & lock at will
marcus57
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: nc30, nc35, gsxr750
Nc30 track toy

Post by marcus57 » Sun Oct 28, 2012 1:20 pm

Well iv bought myself another nc30 , this time a track ready one.

With a house move on the cards soon i have started to break the oki and my srad to get some money back plus sell some of my spares to get some money back into the bank , but also keep a few bits for my type 8 and this bike .

I have a few questions about parts to add/what people who use there nc on track regurlarly.

Any how , i spotted a cheap nc30 track ready on ebay but the only problem was that it was in Norwich , which is nearly 300 miles from me , a quick PM and a few phone calls to Alex Witham and he agreed to have it dropped to him and store it for a few weeks until my track day at Snetterton .

After an 8hr trip up Snetterton all was good , payed Alex in beer collected the bike and got to the track.

My first trackday and it was horrid in the morning , Luckily i maged to get a pair of wet scrubs on ebay which weren't in great condition but did the job.

Had a fairly eventful day but loved it and iv caught the bug.

Managed to loose the front which didnt cause much damage , Then i managed to drop it off the trailer as we loaded up to head home , Resulting in this

Damage was to the tank , screen brace , screen , front faing and rear faring, not major but annoying.

Current spec is

Re work front forks
Maxton shock
Rick O upper screen brace
Rick O lower fairing bracket
Rick O sub frame
Ali clip ons
Ebc prolites
Ignitech
Quitening gears removed
Total loss
Ses rearsets
Hrc Q/A throttle
Sharkfin

Parts i have ready to fit
Rick O radiators
samco hoses
Hrc overflow
New ebc heavy duty clutch and metal plates
Tyga rc45 seat unit
Race fuel filler cap
Quick relase fuel line coupling
Various ti and stainless nuts and bolts

Now im not sure whether to fit
Brembo radial mc
600rr front calipers

Not sure if these are needed?

Also im not sure waht to do with the carbs , i could go down the k&n and a tyga carbon air box or go for the hrc style open set up or full ram air set up, any opinions?

Iv been having a look at Martin's track bike as thats lovely and i want this to be similar , nice and clean but purposeful .

Any other little bits that iv missed or make a differance let me know.

:up:

alexwitham
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: 675R, GSXR6, NC30
Re: Nc30 track toy

Post by alexwitham » Sun Oct 28, 2012 1:40 pm

The previous owner who I collected it from had tried 2 difference ram air set ups (hence the scoop in the current nose) and a couple different carb mods, Rick O's HRC rep kit was one of them. He said he resorted back to a standard setting as it was just too difficult to set up.

I'd just leave it mate, even good nick standard calipers perform well under track use (I've done 4 track days with rebuilt OE calipers and they performed very well, Nissin pads though)

Drunkn Munky
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: NC30 MC21 TZR FZR GSXR RG MITO

Post by Drunkn Munky » Sun Oct 28, 2012 1:46 pm

Nice mate. FWIW on track i prefered the stock RVF setup over the Brembo MC/600rr caliper setup. They just felt like they had more bite, less feel but to me it felt like i was stopping quicker on stock brakes.

Being a track bike id definitely lose the stock intake and go for either HRC or so called ram air, get a dyno operator to setup it up then you haven't got the hassle then. StephenRC45 is down your way and you won't go far wrong with letting him loose on it although im not sure if he has access to a dyno these days.

marcus57
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by marcus57 » Sun Oct 28, 2012 1:46 pm

I will be fitting the Micron at some point and was wondering what the best bet would be , more than likely it will just be re jetted because its cheaper.

Didnt realise he had been fiddling around with the carbs.

Yeah the brakes work fine but the brembo mc and rr calipers look cool and i already have them .

lukemillar
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: '89 NC30 Racebike #24

Post by lukemillar » Mon Oct 29, 2012 1:36 am

I wouldn't get hung up on calipers (not sure why everyone does?) The 4-pot NC calipers are great- I'd just give them a clean/strip/grease. I race with stock calipers (though not stock pads or discs) and find them more than adequate.

I also wouldn't bother with ram air. The HRC carb setup is easier to setup and there is a lot of info on here about settings. I keep on trying to switch to FCR's but find myself always going back to the HRC setup because it is so good. One day I will nail the jetting in the FCR's though!

There are heaps of small things that I have done to mine, but I am really trying to extract every last bit of performance out of it. If you are just using it as track bike, then upgrading the suspension (which is done!) and losing the road gear (also done!) is probably the main things. I'd probably spend the pennies on booking more trackdays

marcus57
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by marcus57 » Mon Oct 29, 2012 11:29 pm

Strange rad set up , when i collected the Bike from Alex he told me that the previous owner had re routed the rad pipes , i ment to take a look before the TD but i didnt bother.
Curiosity got the better of me tonight and this is what i discovered.

Although the bike worked fine it looked shit so i improved it by fitting my Rick O rads and samcos

Also added some Ti bits wheel spacer , wheel nut & hub adjuster

pauliealdridge69
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: Nc30,35,998s

Post by pauliealdridge69 » Tue Oct 30, 2012 1:04 am

He routed the pipes so that you get the water passing through the whole system. The way its set up, the water has to pass through the lower and then up and round the upper. As standard it can go across one rad and straight back into the engine warm but that way it has to pass through both making it cooler on re-entry(allegedly).
I have a modded re-cored lower rad which does the same thing, not sure why Honda didn't do it originally but im guessing there was a reason!? Maybe it puts more pressure on the system if the water has to go around both rads??
Guess we'll never know!

marcus57
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by marcus57 » Tue Oct 30, 2012 2:16 am

Well that makes sence , it worked as it didnt overheat all day but it looks a mess .

This is the brake set up , overkill?

lukemillar
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: '89 NC30 Racebike #24

Post by lukemillar » Tue Oct 30, 2012 5:30 am

marcus57 wrote:Well that makes sence , it worked as it didnt overheat all day but it looks a mess .

This is the brake set up , overkill?

If you've got them - I'd use them!

pauliealdridge69
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: Nc30,35,998s

Post by pauliealdridge69 » Tue Oct 30, 2012 7:27 pm

I love mine, cleaned the old ones up and they were good but once changed i'd not go back now...cast discs and hh pads.... a couple of times when we've come around corners and there's a car parked or broken down in a shit place ive stopped with ease whilst friends go around me struggling to stop!