Bikemonkey's NC30

This section is reserved for members on the SITE SUPPORTERS group only. Each supporter can post pics of their bikes for all to view. Standard members can read and reply, but the post author has full control over his thread and can edit, delete & lock at will
Barry1234
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: Nc30, tuono, 955 Daytona
Re: Bikemonkey's NC30

Post by Barry1234 » Sat Apr 16, 2016 8:00 pm

Glad the rear sets did the job, they were just to high for my aching limbs

bikemonkey
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: 92 NC30, 90 VFR750

Post by bikemonkey » Tue Apr 19, 2016 8:39 pm

Got some race fairings etc from Vic, top man :peace:

As he described the top fairing was "in need of a lot of work" so I set about reinforcing and making it good.

With the resin drying I turned my attention to my subframe and the undertray. Cut down both nicely, not to TTF3 spec but I'm happy with it.

I coated the cut ends of the subframe in ACF-50 as my can of hammerite decided it'd had enough and broke.

Still waiting for the fibreglass to dry I fitted this endurance filler cap and called it a night.

Yesterday I went back and did a mock fit up of the fairings.

Unfortunately I found that the rad cap was really putting the fairings out/stressing them.

So as you can see here at the top I reinforced the surrounding area ready to cut a slot for the cap.

Cap slot all cut tonight, and everything sanded smooth.

The top rad is still stretching the fairings, annoying but it'll have to do unless I buy a new curved rad to replace this straight top one.

Ignoring that for now I fitted a dzus fastener bracket and drilled holes for two other fixings which will become dzus fasteners after I get paid....

So with that done the fairings fit is now acceptable for now.

When I get enough time between track days I shall paint the front fairings silver to sort of match the rear!

It's all ready for another track day on Sunday, and I'm booking Oulton Park on the 16th May too!
Then I'll just be waiting until the Classic Bike Weekend in July :grin:

benny
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: NC30 (track), ZX-9R (road)

Post by benny » Mon May 02, 2016 12:02 pm

Looking nice. Is there not a way to turn your rad cap around 90 degree?

When I was using NC30 track fairings I also had to cut slots out. One for the rad cap and some for the pipes too! Chinese GPI rads, no idea if I'd of had to do it with standard rads too.

You thought about crash bobbins?
BRS Racing for up to date bike build and race results.
TT Zero for the electric Superbike build.
DM104 for the road race team.

bikemonkey
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:

Post by bikemonkey » Mon May 02, 2016 3:50 pm

Unfortunately the rad cap only goes that way. They are the rads from one of the first bulk buys on here, I think they were GPI rads also. The hoses fit fine however.

I have got the non-drill kit fitted, have been thinking about some fork sliders though...

Everything went smoothly at my last track day, apart from I hadn't reconnected the battery up properly missing the negative cable from the reg/rec!

Luckily I wasn't out on track when I found this out! A bump start and a full session after reconnecting saw the battery charged enough to use the starter for the next round though.

benny
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: NC30 (track), ZX-9R (road)

Post by benny » Mon May 02, 2016 6:47 pm

That's a pain.
Someone who could ally weld could turn it for you.
There's a good welder close to me who'd do it.
BRS Racing for up to date bike build and race results.
TT Zero for the electric Superbike build.
DM104 for the road race team.

bikemonkey
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:

Post by bikemonkey » Thu May 19, 2016 9:43 pm

So a fair bit done to the bike since the last update, and a track day with added crash too..... :whistle:

First on the list was an oil and filter change, done every 3 track days now as I'm revving the titties off it 80% of the time it's running now.

Then I realised that I hadn't done the valve clearances in 2 years. So they needed doing, and will now be done every year for the same reason I'm changing the oil more often.

So all stripped down I decided to swap the seals/washers on the retaining bolts for the cam covers, so that the thickest were at the exhaust end of the front head as the oil seal is still weeping....

Measuring and recording, luckily only needed 3 shims after a bit of swapping. (I really only needed one to stay in spec but I wanted to get in the middle of the tolerance).

Fitted the new shims from Rick O when they came, again many thanks to the exceptionally helpful man! :peace:

I then turned my efforts to fixing up the spare lower fairing that Vic kindly included in the job lot of bodywork I bought from him.

That's mostly done for now, just needs fixing plates etc adding and tweaking to fit nicely with the equally shabby nosecone!

Whilst I had the fibreglass kit out I decided to reinforce/fix the seat mount points, as I'd broken them by moving about on the bike a bit clumsily when going through chicanes etc.

This is the result, solid and held up nicely at Snetterton.

Now, onto the added crash! I was a muppet at Snett and whilst braking for the final corner (the one before the long straight by the pits) I hadn't let the throttle shut properly. This led to some panicked fumbling as I found myself approaching the corner far faster than I'd have liked and couldn't slow down in time. So I decided instead of throwing it into the corner and potentially having a big off I ran onto the grass but couldn't slow down in time for the tire wall....

This was the result

Luckily it's all cosmetic and the front end/frame/wheel etc is all straight and the bike runs fine. However the most expensive and gutting victim was my lovely Koso digital dash :(

The screen brace I bent back into shape with a vice and some expert hammering. The screen I binned as it was in several pieces. The top fairing I've been able to fix but my lovely aluminium front bracket is bent beyond repair.

So to sort all this on a budget I've decided to go back to standard with the tacho/temp gauge and sod the speedo off (I'm not that fussed about not keeping track of the miles). Took off all the wiring, which didn't take long as I'd pretty much made a plug and play loom out of a spare standard one. I've kept that wiring incase I do get another digi dash.

In doing this I needed to put the standard temp sensor back in. I was worried I'd chucked it, but actually I'd just taped it back into the loom.

Notice that there's bare wire showing. I investigated this further and uncovered some more bodgery by previous owners (I must have found it all by now!)

So as this doesn't sit well with me I decided to re-wire the sensor. However I soldered it all in before I screwed the sensor in, resulting in a massively twisted wire, muppet.

It'll be fine though. After this I re-fitted my standard clock bracket so I could get the fairings fitted back on for the drive home next week as I move again soon.

It was at this point I clocked the really dark dirty clutch fluid and decided to flush and change it. Minging.

Lastly I've fibreglassed up the top fairing, again. I'm getting good at this fibreglass lark now!

Unfortunately after refitting the fairing I noticed something else had been damaged in the crash. My lovely rizoma reservoir bracket had been bent in a couple of places and allowed the reservoir to foul the fairing.

So with a bit more expert hammering it got put back into place.

I'm now waiting on delivery of a screen and will be picking up a set of standard race clocks when I go home (cheers Benny).

Next planned outing for the bike is the Cadwell weekend, look forward to seeing many of you there! :rocks:

Zippy
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by Zippy » Fri May 20, 2016 8:51 am

Good write up. I'm looking forward to eventually getting out on track with you.

bikemonkey
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:

Post by bikemonkey » Sun May 22, 2016 6:39 pm

Cheers, I look forward to finally seeing that SEED NC35 ;)

Zippy
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by Zippy » Mon May 23, 2016 10:04 am

It might not be in SEED colours when you see it lol

jpete41996
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: VFR 400

Post by jpete41996 » Thu May 26, 2016 2:26 pm

[quote="bikemonkey"]Got some race fairings etc from Vic, top man :peace:

As he described the top fairing was "in need of a lot of work" so I set about reinforcing and making it good.

With the resin drying I turned my attention to my subframe and the undertray. Cut down both nicely, not to TTF3 spec but I'm happy with it.

I coated the cut ends of the subframe in ACF-50 as my can of hammerite decided it'd had enough and broke.

Do you still have the seat frame support you cut off or is it in the bin? Would be interested in having it if it's not in the skip!
If i can wrench on cars, bikes should not be a problem, right?...