Kierans type one resto with a few fancy bits.

This section is reserved for members on the SITE SUPPORTERS group only. Each supporter can post pics of their bikes for all to view. Standard members can read and reply, but the post author has full control over his thread and can edit, delete & lock at will
vfrman
Reactions:
Bike owned: NC30, 1098s
Re: Kierans type one resto with a few fancy bits.

Post by vfrman » Sat May 17, 2014 4:46 pm

I need to learn how to repair and paint fiberglass.

VFRkieran
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: NC30, NSR250, CBR600, TS125

Post by VFRkieran » Tue Jun 03, 2014 6:44 am

Pretty much ready for the first trackday of the year:

Took it out down some quiet back roads to test jetting and one or two other bits and bobs before lydden this Saturday, I'd forgotten how fast this bike really is, feels like it would put my 600 to shame up top, feels nice and stable even with the 70 profile front, looking forward to seeing how good the bike is and how bad I am at the trackday.

jimmytanko
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by jimmytanko » Tue Jun 03, 2014 1:43 pm

I need that petrol tank to match my fairings
[IMG]http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/06/03/5u6e2umy.jpg[/IMG]

VFRkieran
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by VFRkieran » Thu Jun 12, 2014 1:44 am

So the trackday write up,

i had planned to travel down to lydden on the friday afternoon as its 160 miles away from home so wanted to get down there and get a good nights sleep, i work nights so woke up about 1pm to get the last few bits and bobs ready, in the end i didnt end up leaving untill 1620 so i was going to hit rush hour traffic all the way down there and bloody hell i caught everything going but we got there in the end after 4 and a half hours but it was nice weather so not a bad drive down.

I rocked up just as it was getting dark with only one other person parked up in the paddock so i quickly unloaded the van and went off for a quick track walk to see whats what, lydden is a lovely layout with plenty of scary tight corners with no run off and looked a challenge to get right which is just what i like, the surface is a bit poor in places but thats not the end of the world.

I got the airbed blown up and tried to get some sleep at about 2200, now i never sleep well on weekends anyway due to working crappy nightshift but it was terrible i was half awake all night and finaly gave in and got up at 0330, went for another walk and wasted loads of time fettling with the bike looking at the sky wondering what the weather would do.

It started to get busy come about 7am and i was checking out the other bikes around the paddock and chatting to a few people, got signed on and had the briefing ready to watch the fast boys out first, then inters 1 then inters 2 which was my group. First session was quite honestly terrible, i felt awkward on the bike the footrests felt too high, bike was too twitchy and i thought oh i have ruined my NC!

Tony showed his face just as i was pulling in so i had a bit of a chat with him and then the rain started pouring down so we sat in the back of the van with me thinking about packing up and going home, but in the end it dried up and second and third sessions where getting better as i was learning the track and bike a bit more, got past a few people who passed me the first session which gave me a little confidence, i also got someone to time me on the 3rd and my last lap was best at 55 seconds.

Then out for the 4th one of the day i was first out next to an aprilia RS250 who said he was out for some fun this time so i thought ok then lets see what i can do against this stinkwheel, off i went like a rocket trying to get the tyres warmed up and stay ahead of him untill i had everything hot and could really pick the speed up. A lap or two later he comes flying past me on the brakes into the left hander which is without doubt my worst corner on the track, i am miles too slow but not confident in the surface as its really cracked and glazed a foot out from the apex so i just focus on getting it tight and follow him for one more lap before making what felt like a daring pass into what ill call the 5 corner uphill right at the end of the start finish straight, a nice clean move and im confident the tyres are warm now so i really get a move on following a fairly quick trackbike zx10.

Im getting quicker and quicker every lap feeling nice and smooth but riding as hard as i dare, i know ive left the little 250 and i start to work out a way to get past this big kawasaki as hes pretty slow on some of the corners and i know i can have him, we come up on another road zx10 whos bloody fast out of the corners, the guy who ive been following gets past him with ease and clears off with me dicing with this guy showing him a wheel and nearly the whole bike on the brakes all the time but i just cant make a move stick, he glances behind a few times as he knows im there.

In the end the little 250 and another guy on a blade come past both of us so i think right i cant let that happen and i finally have the balls to come past chasing the aprilia we come round the hairpin and im thinking ill have him again on the same corner as before, but as we come down the straight i see the chquered flag and its all over i was gutted not to get past him again but oh well.

I come down and park up grinning from ear to ear, its safe to say i have never ridden that hard in my life and i have fallen in love with my little NC30 all over again. I decided to call it a day and end it on a high rather than go out again and push too hard.

Me and Andy (the guy on the RS250) had a chat and shook each others hand after a good battle, no doubt it was a snails pace compared to some but i bloody enjoyed myself. He also had a camera on the front too so i could watch myself from his point of view heres the vid:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rAAXW8UsFgY

Roll on Cadwell...

VFRkieran
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by VFRkieran » Tue Jun 17, 2014 9:47 am

Few bits ive been waiting to fit went on yesterday.

I noticed my resevoir hose was weeping slightly so decided to use a bit of the green hose and change it, also fitted my Fuel overflow tank and hose, which isnt really necessary but its needed for racing.

Also fitted my HRC temperature gauge, hoswever i had the issue of having no HRC radiator to screw it into so luckily i found this little number on ebay and with a bit of hose bodgery i got it fitted.

So i havent really got much else to do to the bike now before Cadwell in August, I was happy with it at my last trackday so anything else is just changing things for the sake of it, ill probably paint the lowers and fit my spare tank with stomp grip to see if that helps, then after the trackday it will have a service ready for racing next year and i might take it over to the Classic TT at the end of august to get a few early morning laps in.

In the meantime ive got another little project to start on which ill make a seperate thread on soon.

mattUKNC
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: Fury, NC30, CRF250L and a C90!

Post by mattUKNC » Tue Jun 17, 2014 9:55 am

That temp gauge does look the business. :up:

VFRkieran
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by VFRkieran » Tue Jun 17, 2014 8:51 pm

:) Thanks mate, expensive but I've wanted one for ages. Just need to get a new tacho face to make that look HRC cool too.

VFRkieran
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by VFRkieran » Fri Jul 11, 2014 2:55 pm

Picked up this for a good price. Was told it's a 16.5 dymag off an RC30 but I think it's a Marvic. Quite hard to get hold of tyres for these now bsb and wsb are using 17's but slicks and wets are available so I think I'll get a dry scrub to use on Trackdays. The weight it only 2.4 kilo's so I get to see what all the fuss over light wheels is about.

VFRkieran
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by VFRkieran » Thu Sep 11, 2014 11:20 pm

So I finally got the bike on the Dyno at a local place that was doing one free run, didn't get an AF chart which was a shame.

Bit disappointed in how low the output was, but pleased with the nice smooth curve from the uk spec carbs. The place is well known for showing lower than expected. When I got the bike back home I had a quick look at the plugs and I think its running a little lean so that cant be helping it.

Ive got very little planned for the bike over winter as id like to get to work on the NSR, only a good service and hopefully the HRC carbs will be finished ready to test at some point.

marcus57
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: nc30, nc35, gsxr750

Post by marcus57 » Thu Sep 11, 2014 11:53 pm

Do you have the bits for the hrc carbs yet , if not I'm if still thinking about selling the bits I have as u don't think it would be much use on my road bike