CBR400RR NC23 Bluefox HRC Race Bike - warning Pic Heavy!

This section is reserved for members on the SITE SUPPORTERS group only. Each supporter can post pics of their bikes for all to view. Standard members can read and reply, but the post author has full control over his thread and can edit, delete & lock at will
lukemillar
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: '89 NC30 Racebike #24
Re: CBR400RR NC23 Bluefox HRC Race Bike - warning Pic Heavy!

Post by lukemillar » Mon Aug 13, 2012 8:24 pm

Drunkn Munky wrote:I'll gladly take em out to be copied its just finding someone to do it. Dynopro do some lairy cams but don't know if they are reground stock cams or one offs.
It's not the grinding that is the issue - it's about the timing. I have a slotted cam kit at my sister's place in the US, who is sending it over as we speak. Once I get it fitted, I can then install the cams, time them correctly and evaluate whether they are any good or not! I'll warn people now though, that so far this hasn't been a cheap exercise. :( Since you guys are in the UK it would be worth giving Graeme France a call and seeing how much he would charge to slot a set of cams for you.

The alternative is to get an engineering company to press off the gear wheels, rotate them a little bit and press them back on. Then check the timing and rinse and repeat until you get the number you're after. However, the time costs would quickly outweigh the cost of getting them slotted and you risk damaging the camshafts

Drunkn Munky
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: NC30 MC21 TZR FZR GSXR RG MITO

Post by Drunkn Munky » Mon Aug 13, 2012 8:53 pm

So slotted cams can be timed to hrc spec?

lukemillar
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by lukemillar » Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:33 pm

Only if they have the reground profile as well. From those pics you took of your TS motor, the proper HRC cams have been timed correctly from the factory as they aren't slotted.

However (and this is why you really need to fit the whole kit) I think when the timing is correct, the piston-to-valve will possibly to be too small with stock pistons. Not really an issue in Liam's case as he has the rest of the kit, but it means that it won't be possible to just drop them into a standard engine without more modification i.e machining piston tops.

It's been a bit of a wait (and will be longer still as I'm heading back to Europe tomorrow for 4 weeks), but once I can get the cams slotted and take some measurements, I'll have a much better idea of how valid they are. I have the cam timing specs from your TS motor, so if I can achieve the same/similar numbers, then the cams are good and we can start figuring out how to get Liam a set. Purely because of the cost of them, I want to make sure they are going to be the right thing!

Yakama
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: NC23s, 29, 30s, MC16

Post by Yakama » Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:12 pm

Thanks Luke, hopefully you will manage to get them slotted ok and get them fitted.

You state that you think that standard pistons may need machined to make them work with the HRC spec cams but I note that on Tony's TS spec sheet it mentions that kit pistons were used but also that TS machined the piston valve pockets, does this mean that to get the specs TS used he also had to machine the kit pistons?

lukemillar
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by lukemillar » Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:37 pm

Tony's TS motor also has skimmed heads: ~0.7mm which is a fair amount! I'd imagine that the HRC kit wasn't spec'd with this in mind, which is possibly why he had to machine the piston valve cutouts as well.

This won't affect the timing numbers though. You just need to maintain a certain piston-to-valve clearance so they don't smash into each other!

Yakama
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by Yakama » Tue Aug 14, 2012 7:58 am

Ah should have noticed that, is that how he is making the power then by skimming the head to increase the compression ratio as i note the standard CR is 11.3 : 1 and from the TTF3 manual I think the HRC pistons take it up to 11.5 : 1 yet the TS spec list has it at 12.74 : 1

Yakama
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by Yakama » Fri Aug 17, 2012 1:42 pm

Sooooooo have been in contact with a firm to see if I can get an endurance tank for the NC30 made up to replace the rather tired one it has currently, just qaiting on a quote now. :P

I'd also like to add that that the bikes should be broken up in the coming months, some of you that use Drew aka Moriwaki man may know that he herniated a disc in his back a few months back and that along with the weather over there has delayed the export of the NC23 in particular but I'm not that bothered as I know good things come to those who wait and I have been using Drew now for a while and has never let me down unlike the parts exporter who I used before Drew

Tim400GB
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: 1 x NC30, 2 x NC32.5,

Post by Tim400GB » Fri Aug 17, 2012 5:26 pm

Yakama wrote:Sooooooo have been in contact with a firm to see if I can get an endurance tank for the NC30 made up to replace the rather tired one it has currently, just qaiting on a quote now. :P
Nice! wonder if they fancy doing a couple? My project needs one really

VFRkieran
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: NC30, NSR250, CBR600, TS125

Post by VFRkieran » Fri Aug 17, 2012 10:41 pm

CMSMJ1 wrote:I'd ride to Oban for a 400gb ogle of these bikes..

you got camping space in your garden?
:plus:

Are you planning on painting the NC30 in the RWB TT-F3 colours if u manage to get it to spec Liam?

Yakama
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by Yakama » Sat Aug 18, 2012 8:22 am

Timon wrote:
Yakama wrote:Sooooooo have been in contact with a firm to see if I can get an endurance tank for the NC30 made up to replace the rather tired one it has currently, just qaiting on a quote now. :P
Nice! wonder if they fancy doing a couple? My project needs one really
Will let you know what price they quote once they get back to me