Lam's bikes

This section is reserved for members on the SITE SUPPORTERS group only. Each supporter can post pics of their bikes for all to view. Standard members can read and reply, but the post author has full control over his thread and can edit, delete & lock at will
laminator
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: 2tk,NC30, YB7
Re: Lam's bikes

Post by laminator » Sat Jun 02, 2012 7:38 pm

I bought some second hand wheels for the FZR and got them blasted and powder coated.

The old wheels paint was terriible (they're also dirty)

Before

and after.

I also fitted new bearings and oil seals. I was going to get some low friction ceramic bearings but went for some quality stainless ones in the end. I've still got jobs to do to it before I'm happy, but a job ticked off on the list :grin:

VFR's MOT ran out on Friday so I'll try and book it in next week. The YB7's ready for the dyno when I can have a day off work. YB9's clutch needs adjusting, which is a complete fariing off job - seat unit and front fairing (might have a look tomorrow depending on weather).. the list goes on ;)

laminator
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:

Post by laminator » Sat Jun 16, 2012 9:15 pm

I got out for a ride last weekend on the FZR with the new wheel bearings and wheels. Less vibration and a smoother ride so was well worth the effort. I took the camera and got some shots.

I've still got to get the VFR in for an MOT, then I'll take it out for a run and some photos.

ibby4585
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: SP's

Post by ibby4585 » Sat Jun 16, 2012 9:19 pm

Very nice mate.

What are your thoughts on the NC then?

laminator
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:

Post by laminator » Sat Jun 16, 2012 10:14 pm

ibby4585 wrote:Very nice mate.

What are your thoughts on the NC then?
First thought that comes to mind is how it encourages me to go into corners. I haven't had one issue while cornering. When travelling on unfamiliar roads, at normal speeds, the odd corner can be tighter/bumpier/etc then anticipated. The Honda just eats it up when you have to drop it in a bit more or just ride the bumps. (Even with a front tyre that doesn't give much confidence and CRM described as a hedge magnet :) ) It'll be even better with some new BT-090's I plan on getting fitted before the MOT. I do like the engine noise, as it's very different to the other bikes, but I still prefer the sound of the FZR when bouncing between the higher rev range. The VFR has a lot more low end torque compared to the FZR. While riding the FZR last weekend this was very apparent, having to go down a gear for some corners to get the exit speed.

The seating position is similar to the Bim YB7, whereas the FZR is noticeably taller and thinner. I'd not ridden the FZR much lately due to the wheel bearings. To start with it felt a little strange being so tall, but after a few miles I got used to it. It gives a lot of feedback and confidence. With the VFR being lower and wider it does feel a little more 'solid', similar to the Bim. When rolling they all have more potential to give than I use.

I find the gearbox on the FZR to be smoother and more positive. If I give the VFR some berries, then ease off to just pop it up two gears and roll along, it generally only goes up one and I have to the give it a blip and go up another gear. The FZR will just go up two gears and cruise along.

The brakes on the VFR are great, with good feel and stopping power. The FZR's need some attention as they are a job on the refurb list. I've fitted new pads to the FZR which improved them, but I want to strip the calipers, etc. Hopefully they'll be as good as the Hondas. The Bim wins here with it's floating disc Brembos.

Once the VFR's MOT'd, Bim dyno'd, and there is finally a sunny weekend :pray: I plan on getting them out one at a time and do my 'lap' to compare them. (although this could end up with me stopping three times for a bacon sarnie and pint of tea each time at the layby) :whistle:

The little Bim is one of my favourites, although it's taken a lot of work so far. With it's Ohlins shock, brembo brakes, etc and not forgetting the Bimota frame it's sooo nice to ride. I'm really looking forward to getting it back on the road after all the work. :grin:

I bought a second hand swingarm and spindle for the VFR, so I plan on replacing the butchered chain adjuster when the tyres are fitted. I've also bought a c-spanner for the new chain adjuster, oil, and filters. The first work on the VFR since I got it.

I'm thinking of turning it Darker! I've thought about getting a spare fairing set sprayed up Black with dark grey (almost ghost) decals in the same shapes as the silver at present. Then black anodised disc carriers, coated forks, redone black wheels, silver swingarm and other details polished. Not sure yet if I'll ever do it though, but imo it might look very good.

ibby4585
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by ibby4585 » Sat Jun 16, 2012 10:36 pm

I desperately want to try a fzr400rrsp but yet to find one.

All I can say is put a decent exhaust on the NC and sort the suspension and they become addictive!!

laminator
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:

Post by laminator » Sat Jun 16, 2012 10:58 pm

ibby4585 wrote:I desperately want to try a fzr400rrsp but yet to find one.

All I can say is put a decent exhaust on the NC and sort the suspension and they become addictive!!
I'd like to have a go on an RRSP to see how much better it is to my 2TK (1987), quite a lot I would imagine. If we get together at a meet I'll bring the FZR, then you could take that for a spin if you wanted. :grin:

ibby4585
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by ibby4585 » Sat Jun 16, 2012 11:08 pm

Coolio!

laminator
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:

Post by laminator » Wed Aug 29, 2012 7:55 pm

The YB7's carbs are sorted and it passed it's MOT today.

I also took another couple of bikes I've acquired in for a MOT at the same time. (They're not 400's though)

ibby4585
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by ibby4585 » Wed Aug 29, 2012 7:59 pm

I bet the mot man loves you every year! How do you get them all in?

So Another two bims then?

CRM
Admin NWAA
Admin NWAA
Reactions:

Post by CRM » Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:04 pm

I rode a DB4 at the weekend - and it was great.
Comfy, handled ok ish, but was so light and suited that old 2V SS motor perfectly
Insert Signature Here