lee's nc30 rebuild

This section is reserved for members on the SITE SUPPORTERS group only. Each supporter can post pics of their bikes for all to view. Standard members can read and reply, but the post author has full control over his thread and can edit, delete & lock at will
hannakournikova
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: NC30, NC35 & SP2
Re: lee's nc30 rebuild

Post by hannakournikova » Thu Aug 19, 2010 9:33 pm

great to see a project that isn't either:
- young cub with no taste and wants a vfr with the tattiest of stupid looking aftermarket bolts on or fairings from another bike.
- or someone with too much bloody money!!

Keep us updated :D

hannakournikova
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: NC30, NC35 & SP2

Post by hannakournikova » Sun Sep 12, 2010 9:49 am

any updates??

leef82
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: vfr400 nc30

Post by leef82 » Sun Sep 12, 2010 1:13 pm

yeah finaly got hold of a parts washer, unfortunly a brand knew one i didnt want to wait any longer for a cheap one to come up, anyway i got the crankases cleaned and fitted some second hand gearbox parts, got the crank refitted and pistons, i havent got any further than that because i forgot to order new output shaft seal, ive got to wait about a week for that ( on back order im told), il take some photos when i do some more, proberly wont be for a couple of weeks as im moving house next week.

lee

ibby4585
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: SP's

Post by ibby4585 » Sun Sep 12, 2010 1:17 pm

hannakournikova wrote:great to see a project that isn't either:
- young cub with no taste and wants a vfr with the tattiest of stupid looking aftermarket bolts on or fairings from another bike.
- or someone with too much bloody money!!

Keep us updated :D
Yeah i know what you mean i hate it when people just throw money at bikes!! :oops: :oops:

Good thread, keep it going.

Kris

leef82
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by leef82 » Sat Sep 18, 2010 10:50 am

got abit more done to the engine yesterday, crankcases are back together , oil pump refitted, sump back on, external gear components refitted apart from the cover as i forgot to order a gasket, so hopefully next week thatll be done, then onto the clutch and so on, so not a great deal done but aslong im making some sort of progress im happy,

lee :smile:

leef82
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by leef82 » Fri Oct 15, 2010 8:10 pm

finally got round to doin abit more to the engine after my hectic 3 weeks of moving house, external gear components all back together, new clutch plates, alternator back in ( temporaly as i found that ther stator was abit burnt ant melted, not sure if to fit a standard one for the moment or wait until i can afford to do the gsxr conversion), casings and starter motor refitted, next is working on the head i found that the exhaust ports were a bit coked up, so im just waiting toget a valve spring compressor so i can strip it all, all valve clearances are goin to be done etc. so still quite bit to be done then i can on to the more visual and handling stuff, hopefully ill get the engine complete in the next few weeks .

leef82
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by leef82 » Wed Jan 05, 2011 5:19 pm

ye he finally got the tools and the bits to get on with the engine, today ive stripped the rear head of its valves etc. Image
as you can see there is quite abit of carbon build up on the exhaust ports

and after abit of cleaning....

after the de-carbing next im gonna lap the valves in, probly tomorrow
slow progress i know, i wanted to be at this stage months ago but theres no point rushing it

leef82
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by leef82 » Wed Jan 19, 2011 6:05 pm

rebuilt the heads today and got the cams all back in
so its just the valve left clearances left to do and also a new alternator coil when a decent second hand one pops up on ebay, i think the gsxr alternator conversion is out the question at min as im skint, never mind

CMSMJ1
Moderators
Moderators
Reactions:
Bike owned: NC30-No9

Post by CMSMJ1 » Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:33 pm

Did you remove any of the casting flash fron the inlets when you had it in bits?

Looking good...the moto loves to have this fettling done. I'll do my road bike and take some pics for the workshop section.
IMPERATOR REX ANGLORUM

The V4 is the law..

NC30 - No9 - my old mate

leef82
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by leef82 » Thu Jan 20, 2011 6:23 pm

CMSMJ1 wrote:Did you remove any of the casting flash fron the inlets when you had it in bits?
do you the ruff bits on the casting, if yes i didnt remove any.

i had a look at the valve clearences today and their out tolerance(under), all of them proberly due to lapping the valves, hopefully il be able to spend a full day monday on them.