Change Search Function

This section contains all the FAQ's and our terms and conditions. Please take a few moments to read and get familiar with our policies.
You can report any issues or site based problems you have in this section too.
Cru Jones
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: NC35
Change Search Function

Post by Cru Jones » Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:39 pm

So, the search function on this site could use some help. I know I can use Google to search the forum, but it doesn't let me only search specific boards (at least that I know how to). One example is that via the usual 'Search' box and 'Advanced Search' I'm unable to search for either 'exhaust' or 'system' as they are "too common a word." Really? That's too common a word? Yet, I can search for the word 'motorcycle' and that works? Seems like that could use a little revising.
...2T bikes exist and are ready to meet your 4T challengers. - ToraTora

CRM
Admin NWAA
Admin NWAA
Reactions:
Re: Change Search Function

Post by CRM » Wed Feb 20, 2013 7:31 am

Firstly - wrong section ! ;)

Secondly - i know the search is crap, but as i didnt write phpbb i would really not know where to start in improving the search. you can make small changes in the admin section, but regarding the common words, i think if it index's X percentage then its deemed as too common - and funnily enough the terms NC30 and exhaust are pretty common.
Insert Signature Here

Cammo
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: NC30

Post by Cammo » Sun Mar 17, 2013 11:48 pm

Yeah I don't think it's really fair to blame this site for the issue.

I think it's best to use google with the term '400greybike' also in your search, works well for me.

The Novice
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: NC23 NC30 CRM250

Post by The Novice » Mon Mar 18, 2013 1:46 pm

its not that bad (if you know what your looking for), use too generic a search phrase and what do you expect. Exhaust or system - of course they are common! there is a thread on exhausts which runs to something crazy like 50 pages from memory.

As suggested however, I have also found that google comes up with a much better shortlist of posts.