Cam Chain Tensioner Rebuild Kit?

Forum rules
Please can you post items for sale or wanted in the correct For Sale section. Items / bikes for sale here will be removed without warning. Reasons for this are in the FAQ. Thanks
Blaack3
Settled in member
Reactions:
Cam Chain Tensioner Rebuild Kit?

Post by Blaack3 » Wed Sep 14, 2016 10:25 am

So my lil 400 is running great and now that everything is working fine, it started to kill its cam chain tensioners.
It already broke it 2 times. The spring just snaps and the engine starts rattling heavily.
It is clearly of the age. Does anyone know where I can get a new spring? My Suzuki dealer told me that he can not order one. He could only order a cam chain tensioner as a unit for 100€, and that is kinda a lot for just a broken spring.
To keep the bike running I twisted the end and gave it some tension. The bike runs without rattling right now, but I think it should be no more than a temporary solution.

dobbslc
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: 3TJRRSP TRX850 XV750 cafe
Re: Cam Chain Tensioner Rebuild Kit?

Post by dobbslc » Thu Sep 15, 2016 12:45 pm

If that was me I would'nt even start that engine with a bodged cam chain tensioner! If the chain skips a tooth or two it will trash the engine!
Have you checked if the chain itself is worn out and the tensioner is running at full extension?
Has your bike kicked back while trying to start it? As that could bugger something up.
You can buy manual tensioners for the bigger Suzuki's that might fit.

Variablevalves suck
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: GSXR Carb o'ring kits supplied

Post by Variablevalves suck » Thu Sep 15, 2016 12:57 pm

you need an aftermarket one that you manually tension yourself.

APE do them and SRAD 600 fits the bandit 4.

dobbslc
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: 3TJRRSP TRX850 XV750 cafe

Post by dobbslc » Fri Sep 16, 2016 7:08 am

^^^ I knew it! Just didn't remember who it was that made them. DON'T over tighten it though!

Blaack3
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by Blaack3 » Sun Sep 25, 2016 1:09 pm

The cam chain is totally fine and it did not skip a tooth or two.
I have done timing on this bike several times. As soon as it skips one tooth it loses compression on cylinders 2,3 an 4 without jamming the valves into the pistons.
I also measured the length of the chain. It still is below service limit.
The SRAD600 cam chain tensioner looks completely different to me.
Can someone get the exact dimensions?

Seems like I am going to buy a manual cam chain tensioner, or would be a new geniune one for 100 quid be a better deal?

ventYl
Settled in member
Reactions:
Bike owned: GSF 400 Bandit

Post by ventYl » Wed Sep 28, 2016 8:24 am

depends on how often you have to pay attention for manual one. i think that most of automatic tensioner tension loss at longer expansion is caused by the age. their average age is somewhere around 20 years. warm-up / cool-down cycles probably softened the spring material during this period. if tensioner can be "opened", then maybe try to use some kind of spacer to increase spring tension? if it is not I don't think that 100 quid is catastrophic price.