Ignition problems poss CDI

Forum rules
Please can you post items for sale or wanted in the correct For Sale section. Items / bikes for sale here will be removed without warning. Reasons for this are in the FAQ. Thanks
Kernowjc
Settled in member
Reactions:
Ignition problems poss CDI

Post by Kernowjc » Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:58 pm

Hi all, hopefully someone will be able to help me out. I bought a bandit 400 import 1990 a few months to get ready in time for my wife when she passes her test. I haven given the bike a good service with all the essentials changed, clean and replaced as necessary. I have come across a problem with the ignition system.

When i turn the ignition on ive got all lights working as well as the instrument lights. Hit the start switch and the starter motor works and engine is cranking over. The bike doesnt however fire. I took the plugs out checked for fuel and bingo yes i have. However i checked the plugs to see if i could see any form of spark and none at all on any of them. Now my head is splitting the system down. I checked the gaps on the plugs and they are within limits, I did the primary and secondary resistance checks on both coils and they are serviceable. Next i try the signal generator and that is serviceable also. My next and final thing i think is the digital igniter.

Firstly is there anything that i have missed?

I have a part number for the igniter 32900 - 10D10. I cannot for the life of me find any with this part number. Can anyone tell me if another CDI unit will fit my model?

Cheers

JC

Variablevalves suck
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: GSXR Carb o'ring kits supplied
Re: Ignition problems poss CDI

Post by Variablevalves suck » Wed Apr 10, 2013 1:42 pm

Hi,

Download the manual from this site, its in English and covers all the tests.

This may sound daft but have you started at the fuses.
Also check you have 12v at the coil, test in manual.

Cheers Chris.

Kernowjc
Settled in member
Reactions:
Re: Ignition problems poss CDI

Post by Kernowjc » Wed Apr 10, 2013 5:16 pm

Yeah I have checked the fuses and are ok. Thankyou for the letting me know about the manual online.
I have just done the 12v check to the coils and I'm gettin 12.11v on both coils. Is there a check I can do on the white wire that connects the coil to the CDI? I've just taken the plugs out to check the gaps again and I noticed that the number on them are U27ESR-NZU (denso) I can't seem to find if these are the correct ones.

Cheers
JC