400 Bandit Carbs

Forum rules
Please can you post items for sale or wanted in the correct For Sale section. Items / bikes for sale here will be removed without warning. Reasons for this are in the FAQ. Thanks
mx49
Settled in member
Reactions:
400 Bandit Carbs

Post by mx49 » Sun Jan 15, 2012 9:19 pm

Hi, wonder if anyone can help me. Trying to get one of the 400 bandits i picked up going without much joy. There is a spark but it isn't firing. To go back to basics can someone let me know which way round the fuel lines go from the tap to the carbs? There is a smaller bore pipe coming out of the back of the vacuum tap that I assum is the vacuum hose that conncts to the upper vent pipe in the carbs and then there is a larger bore pipe that comes out of the side of the tap that I presume goes to the float bowls (the lower connection out of the 2 on the carbs). Can anyone confirm that is the right way round?
The bike wasn't running when I got it and the person before had fitted a non-std. non-vacuum tap which I presuem worked but they had a problem with the carbs flooding! I have now added the vacuum tap from another 400 bandit tank but still no joy. Have cleaned the carbs out and even tried a bit of easy start that got it running, once, for about a second . Since then nothing, not even with the easy start.

Cheers,
Mike

H D
Settled in member
Reactions:
Bike owned: Derbi Senda
Re: 400 Bandit Carbs

Post by H D » Sun Jan 15, 2012 9:50 pm

The vacuum pipe goes from the tap to the inlet between the engine and the carb of no. 1.

I think as I haven't got my bandit up and running yet! Failing that, check the manual. Also, the top connection is just a breather for the carbs.

mx49
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by mx49 » Mon Jan 16, 2012 9:07 pm

Thank you , thank you , thank you! For some reason I had locked onto the pipe connecting up to the carbs (probably because of the set up from the last person who owned it) forgetting that it uses the negative pressure from the inlet manifold to suck the fuel through. Just tried it now and its not running still but at least its firing on one cyclinder so that is a big leap forward. Thanks again.

H D
Settled in member
Reactions:
Bike owned: Derbi Senda

Post by H D » Mon Jan 16, 2012 9:15 pm

Very welcome mate, at least I know for definite that is how it is supposed to be connected.

Careful when connecting the main fuel line though. If it is a new line or a little small, the connection spins around and you hit your knuckles real bad :lol: