GK76 intermittently cutting out at idle.

Forum rules
Please can you post items for sale or wanted in the correct For Sale section. Items / bikes for sale here will be removed without warning. Reasons for this are in the FAQ. Thanks
tailongwan
Settled in member
Reactions:
Bike owned: GSF ZXR RVF FZR GSXR
Re: GK76 intermittently cutting out at idle.

Post by tailongwan » Fri Apr 16, 2021 9:10 pm

Eureka! I found how it works: earth is through the head lamp going to the position lamp (white wire), then position lamp lights up only when head lamp bulbs are connected! If I push the light switch to ON position, dimmer on LO, head lamp LO light on, and position lamp swtich off. When DIMMER on HI, head lamps HI light, and position lamp light also...
I uploaded a video to show how I manage to test the position lamp.
This is the reason why there is no DC output on the position lamp connector when you remove the upper fairing and the head lamp.
What is not so good, it is to light the position lamp with the HI head lamp. It is really useless...
So I wonder if there could be some resistance in the main bulb if it is old.
Link to a small video to explain how i tested, with the main bulb on.
http://400cc.fr/wp-content/uploads/2021/04/IMG_4463.mov

For those who may need the wiring diagram in english (from owner's manual)
http://400cc.fr/wp-content/uploads/2021 ... scaled.jpg

(sorry for my english and vocabulary, english is not my native language)

MadMotoUK
Familiar Member
Reactions:
Bike owned: FZR400,600, CBR893

Post by MadMotoUK » Fri Apr 23, 2021 9:20 pm

Looking at the wiring diagram I have (and assuming my Japanese is correct):

The front position lamp operates only with either high beam or the high beam flash.
The rear position lamp(s) will operate with the ignition in P position or ignition ON (in other words it's always on from the moment you turn the key).

I'm guessing it will have something to do with Japanese regs at the time of manufacture but the front position lamp seems pretty pointless to me wired this way. You could rewire it and piggyback it onto the rear lamp supply so it's always on, just check the circuit will cope with the extra load otherwise you will need to add a relay, I'd think it would manage with an extra 3.4w though.

tailongwan
Settled in member
Reactions:
Bike owned: GSF ZXR RVF FZR GSXR

Post by tailongwan » Thu Apr 29, 2021 8:19 am

I put the link to english wiring diagram if you want (from the owner's manual) in the post above.