Oil Leak

Forum rules
Please can you post items for sale or wanted in the correct For Sale section. Items / bikes for sale here will be removed without warning. Reasons for this are in the FAQ. Thanks
Brett
Settled in member
Reactions:
Oil Leak

Post by Brett » Wed Jul 02, 2008 10:37 pm

Just came home from a spin on my gsxr400 and noticed oil on the left hand side fairing. It seems to be coming from the head gasket.
Can/should I tighten the head more to stop it leaking?
can I loosen then re-tighten the head and pop some sealant in there?
Is it a big problem/should I stop riding the bike?

The bike sounds/and seems to be going fine. Only owned it since yesterday so am not too pleased

garynortheast
Settled in member
Reactions:
Re: Oil Leak

Post by garynortheast » Thu Jul 03, 2008 10:09 am

If I were you I'd get the fairings off, clean the bike down thoroughly especially the engine and then run it to see exactly where the oil is coming from. My advice would be not to use sealant and gasket goo. If there is an oil leak it my mean that something is loose or warped and you should address that problem at the root.
Let us know what you find when you've cleaned it off.

Brett
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by Brett » Thu Jul 03, 2008 2:07 pm

Thanks mate. I'm gonna leave it to a mechanic as things just got worse. I had oil this morning went to the gym and back, about two mile, no oil? The leak is very small and the bikes not covered in it. I'm very confused?

Brett
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by Brett » Thu Jul 03, 2008 3:27 pm

I just checked the oil(see post above)and it was nigh on empty. I checked it before running the engine, empty(well below the glass, had to lean it towards me to see any). I ran the engine for a couple of minutes, checked it, empty, checked it again in a couple of minutes, empty. Topped it up, fine. Took it out for a short ride and now there's too much?
Am I doing something wrong?

Also, the exhaust/end can seems to stay hot for ages after riding it. Is this normal?

garynortheast
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by garynortheast » Thu Jul 03, 2008 10:24 pm

If you've run the engine then you'll need to leave it at least ten minutes maybe more before any decent quantity of oil is going to show in the sight glass.

Brett
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by Brett » Thu Jul 03, 2008 11:14 pm

Like I said, I checked it before I started it up and it was empty then, it was not running for about three hours? As you can probably tell, I'm pretty dense when it comes to mechanical stuff, but even I can't mess up checking the oil.

p.s. Thanks for the help, I'm really lost and need it.

the ouath
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by the ouath » Mon Jul 07, 2008 10:40 am

When you top up the oil the bike should be standing up straight not leaning over on the side stand as this will give a false level and you will put too much in. The leak is more likely to be coming from the rocker cover gasket than the head gasket.

Brett
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by Brett » Mon Jul 07, 2008 6:04 pm

Thanks. I'm gonna get the mechanic to look at it as even if it is easy enough for me to fix it's so wet and miserable here and I don't fancy getting piss wet through.

GIXXER_PILOT
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by GIXXER_PILOT » Wed Jul 09, 2008 2:53 pm

If you need a rocker cover gasket I have a new original one still in the packaging.

Brett
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by Brett » Wed Jul 09, 2008 11:23 pm

Nice one. The mechanics got it at the mo, but I'm sure he'll ring me if it's needed.