R1 fork conversion GSXR (gk76a)

Forum rules
Please can you post items for sale or wanted in the correct For Sale section. Items / bikes for sale here will be removed without warning. Reasons for this are in the FAQ. Thanks
Andy
Settled in member
Reactions:
Bike owned: R1x2 98/2k/Gp125/73a/76a/76a
R1 fork conversion GSXR (gk76a)

Post by Andy » Fri Aug 28, 2009 6:06 pm

Hey,
Since the dissapointment with the 73a i`ve been involved with the better halves 76a(although i think i`ve found the problem with the 73),after fitting a k7 rear shock i decided to fit the spare R1 front end i`ve had laying about for months....i know the `normal` conversion is the 636 forks etc but like i said it was going begging so i stripped the the front of and set about it.I cant believe how easy it was...although to start with i got some outrageus quotes for some crazy ideas involving the conversion(do all engineers want to do it the hard way?)

Anyway the shaft from the gixer yolk`s was pressed out,the end was knurled and pressed into the R1 lower.To compensate for the lack of girth on the gixer shaft a top hat was made that slipped nicely into the R1 top yoke and everything just bolted up as normal. the ignition required a little tidying with the grinder and then just bolted in place even the brake res bolted on the R1 mount(a little trim was all that it needed)......

The only problem if you want to call it that is a mount for the clocks(ignition now sits to the left as opposed to the centre on the gixer yoke). On that subject do`s anybody have any idea`s regarding the speedo?....

Andy
Settled in member
Reactions:
Re: R1 fork conversion GSXR (gk76a)

Post by Andy » Fri Sep 04, 2009 4:07 pm

Ok,
Front end now complete(just waiting for tyre now...),cant wait to explore the handling etc but true to form it`s now running like a bag of shite.Decided to use a factory pro needle/jet kit and dump the stock airbox has anyone had any experience of these??
PLEASE REPLY.....ANYONE!!!
Thank`s
Andy

TeamGSXR
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by TeamGSXR » Sun Sep 06, 2009 12:44 pm

Nice coversion Andy. Have you tested the handling on it now? :up:

Andy
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by Andy » Sun Sep 06, 2009 8:05 pm

TeamGSXR wrote:Nice coversion Andy. Have you tested the handling on it now? :up:
Not yet still having probs with running etc,never mind it`s not as if i`ve not been there before!!!

Will post after shakedown run(dont hold your breath!!)

Andy :down:

Variablevalves suck
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: GSXR Carb o'ring kits supplied

Post by Variablevalves suck » Sun Sep 06, 2009 9:54 pm

Hi Andy,
People have tried to get them running without the box but they realy dont like it. Best to use the Factory needles, which are good, and run the box.

Andy
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by Andy » Mon Sep 07, 2009 6:36 pm

Variablevalves suck wrote:Hi Andy,
People have tried to get them running without the box but they realy dont like it. Best to use the Factory needles, which are good, and run the box.
Ok,suits me i think i will get the needle`s and talk to my dyno guy and give him the headache!

Thank`s for the tip

Forgot to ask....how involved is it to fit/run flatslides,i`ve got loads of experience on the R1 motor`s.Also a good s/h set somewhere would be nice if i dont get on with cv`s,thank`s fella`s...

Andy

mattley87
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by mattley87 » Tue Sep 08, 2009 9:26 pm

Fitted to a 76 he used 73 spacer blocks and 76 intake boots. From gsxr400racer whose knowledge is endless.

Andy
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by Andy » Tue Sep 15, 2009 4:29 pm

Hi,
Front tyre will be here tomorrow(not that it stopped me riding it!)but still waiting for the needle`s to turn up and sort out the ever present running problem....First impressions on the road were good/excellent.She turn`s/tracks nicely and seems to respond very well,the only down side is that it shows up the weakness of the standard shock on the rear(k7).I think it is only settings etc,it feels soft compared to the front and to be honest the shock was fitted and the settings were left as was so to speak so like i said a little time `fiddling` with setting`s will cure that small concern i`m sure........

While i`ve been waiting for the needles/tyres etc i finished the shock conversion on the 73 and sorted the running problem out too(pick-up sensor/frayed wire`s).All seems well and i`ve done approx 100 miles on the little screamer so far and the rear shock is a great improvement over the standard sack of shite that was on it(k5 750 shock fitted),true to form the front is now no match for the rear so yolks have been despatched to my local engineer and is working his magic now as we speak(R6 conversion) so should be an excellent little tool when done(i`m hoping!). I went for the R6 front to retain a near to standard look as possible plus i really like the look of the bike as is,anyway here`s some pics let me know what you think,cheer`s

Andy :grin:

Andy
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by Andy » Mon Oct 19, 2009 6:04 pm

Ok,
bike is now tested and road legal again and even the mrs loves it! Found a small speedo for the bike on e-bay and it was easy to fit and it keeps the better half happy as well.Still having problems with running(high rpm) but pulls lovely mid range so i`ve really explored the handling over the last few days and i`m very pleased.Anyway here`s some pics,sorry about the quality folk`s :smile:

Andy :grin:

mattley87
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by mattley87 » Mon Oct 19, 2009 7:38 pm

Both looking v nice.