The refurb starts here

Forum rules
Please can you post items for sale or wanted in the correct For Sale section. Items / bikes for sale here will be removed without warning. Reasons for this are in the FAQ. Thanks
Speedy
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: RVF400RR, ER6n
Re: The refurb starts here

Post by Speedy » Fri Oct 17, 2008 9:00 pm

The engine and swingarm are now back on the frame and I'm hoping to have a lot more refitted this weekend! I shall post more photos of my progress on Sunday! :)
Can't say I've ever heard of a Yamaha Chappy before. Is it a mini crosser?
There are a couple of other much older bikes I'd like to give a complete makeover too (Vespa 50 & Kawasaki AR50), but like you, time (as well as money) is very short indeed! :(
When the mind is relaxed, the body will go faster! 8-)

superlite
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: TLS, LB80 x 2

Post by superlite » Sat Oct 18, 2008 11:06 am

The Chappy pretty much looks like this:

Except mine is an 80cc two speed auto as well as having high and low range. They handle like cr@p, but that's not the point.

I actually got some work done on it today - I grafted on the KX80 expansion pipe. Easier than it sounds :roll:

I've got a whole heap of go-fast bits: Big flatslide carb, pod airfilter, etc. Got rid of the oil injection and kick starter mechanism. As for looks, it's going to be draped in carbon and polished alu, everything that's not needed is being binned. They have quite a following in europe - not sure why though!

I'd much rather a Honda monkey or gorilla, but it wouldn't feel right butchering one of them!
'Take it to the Back'

Speedy
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:

Post by Speedy » Sat Oct 18, 2008 9:34 pm

Ah! Yamaha's answer to the mighty Monkey! :)
They're cute and I can see the appeal of them; carbon on one of these will certainly be a fun thing to see! :)

I've made good progress on the Bandit today; was going to take some more photos, but was so focused on what needed doing, that ended up forgetting! DOH! :roll:
Will take one or two tomorrow morning, before I resume the rebuild! :)

Speedy
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:

Post by Speedy » Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:26 pm

Snapped this quick photo yesterday and apart from what can be seen on the bike, it now has the footpegs, radiator & the bodywork on aswell!
All that's missing now, are the handlebars, headlight&clocks, front brakes&mudguard and the tank; then it's just a case of connecting the remaining cables, bleeding brakes, change oil & oil filter, plus a couple of niggly bits. Not far off the finish now!

Raptor
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by Raptor » Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:45 pm

Nice one Speedy.

I'm waiting in anticipation for the finished pic..! :D

I am now 3/4 there on the parts collection, just a couple of extra bits and mine will be starting.

superlite
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by superlite » Wed Oct 22, 2008 9:23 am

Looking good! Hard to picture without the tank and bodywork on though.

Excuse my ignorance, but is that an aftermarket exhaust? I seem to recall them having a rather ugly megaphonish exhaust as big as a boat? That one looks quality though 8-)
'Take it to the Back'

Speedy
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:

Post by Speedy » Fri Oct 24, 2008 12:23 am

I'm hoping to have it all done by this Sunday and will post photos of it with its clothes on then; though apart from a newly coated frame/swinger and a few clean(ish) bits, it'll look about the same as before! I gave the mudguard a respray because it really needed it, but the rest of the bodywork will have to wait!
The exhaust is an aftermarket, but I have no idea what it is though. I quite like the standard (megaphone) can actually; all the bolts at the end of it securing the cap, make it look cool & different to me! :)

superlite
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by superlite » Sun Oct 26, 2008 11:12 am

Speedy wrote: I quite like the standard (megaphone) can actually; all the bolts at the end of it securing the cap, make it look cool & different to me! :)
It actually looks a little like a gattling gun :)

I was scanning Yahoo Japan today and noticed some cheap GSF400 bits and pieces. Not many on there which is suprising :!: But some handy NOS stuff and exhausts - all very well priced. There was also a couple of shocks on there that were also listed under RGV250 which is interesting. If that is the case, you could get a sweet shock set-up for cheap.
'Take it to the Back'

Speedy
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:

Post by Speedy » Sun Oct 26, 2008 8:45 pm

The 90's Gsxr750 shocks fit ok too, but the RGV's would probably be better!?

Well it's got its party clothes on, but it ain't dancing! :x
It refuses to fire up and as the foat bowls seem to be flooding, I can only assume I've ajusted them wrong/badly! Carbs will have to come off again!!! :roll: On top of that, it looks like I'm gonna need a new relay for the indicators too! :x

Sorry about the poor pics; it was pissing down today, the bike was getting on my nerves and MotoGP was on too, so I didn't stay out there for long at all.

Image Image

Will get better ones soon!

nampus
Settled in member
Reactions:
Bike owned: cb 400 sf, KTM Superduke

Post by nampus » Mon Nov 03, 2008 2:43 pm

Bike looks super! Very nice job! 8-)
I thought the b4 only had a single disc in the front? Did you upgrade this yourself? Or was there also a twindisc version?
Nampus