Decals or stencils for Blue/white GSXR paintjob?

Forum rules
Please can you post items for sale or wanted in the correct For Sale section. Items / bikes for sale here will be removed without warning. Reasons for this are in the FAQ. Thanks
Jaicen
Familiar Member
Reactions:
Bike owned: GK76SP & ER6F
Decals or stencils for Blue/white GSXR paintjob?

Post by Jaicen » Mon Aug 01, 2011 11:41 pm

Does anybody have any idea where I can find a decal or stencil of some description that I can use to replicate the blue/white GSXR400 GK76a colour scheme? I'm picking up a race fairing set, and I want to paint it but that's a damn difficult scheme to replicate with masking tape!
Any ideas?

Variablevalves suck
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: GSXR Carb o'ring kits supplied
Re: Decals or stencils for Blue/white GSXR paintjob?

Post by Variablevalves suck » Sat Aug 06, 2011 10:16 pm

If you do it in the 'L' scheme its very simple as the blue's are in lines.

Ben92
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by Ben92 » Thu Aug 18, 2011 8:40 pm

i have a vinyl sticker cutter and can cut decals if you are interested? See the pics of my bike in everybodys gsxr and the decals on that I made. will need the file in eps format though :grin:

Jaicen
Familiar Member
Reactions:

Post by Jaicen » Wed Aug 31, 2011 9:03 pm

Dude, sorry for the late reply, I was away for a large portion of this month.
Your bike looks mint, it's exactly what I would need, however I don't have any way to design the layouts. Any suggestions?

Ben92
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by Ben92 » Thu Sep 01, 2011 8:32 am

I have a disc with a LOT of corporate logos on it. So there isn't much I can't get. A photo of one side of a design would do and I can cut two of each sticker. Although pin striping and long lines don't work too well as they just don't look right when you go round big corners. If you send me a design we could work something out :grin:

Jaicen
Familiar Member
Reactions:

Post by Jaicen » Wed Sep 07, 2011 3:14 pm

This is the colour scheme i'm looking to replicate. I guess I could ask for owners to send detailed pictures?
Also, i'd like to do actually paint the colours on, so the vinyl would have to be cut as a negative to use for masking off the colours.
What do you think??

Variablevalves suck
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: GSXR Carb o'ring kits supplied

Post by Variablevalves suck » Thu Sep 08, 2011 1:17 pm

J, you would'nt mask off using a vinyl cover and you could paint white over blue or blue over white. It would be easy to painteverything white and then put the blue on after and you use the fine pinstripe stlye vinyl, this allows you to do tight radiuses by warming the vinyl with a hair dryer, then you mask over this with standard masking tape.
You can get fancy low tack clear stuff that you can cut with a knife but the work you are looking at is simple enough to do with the pinstripe.
Ive seen a RG500 race bike in a white/blue that would look real nice on a gsxr, i will see if i can find the picture again and post it up if you want a look?

Ben92
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by Ben92 » Mon Sep 12, 2011 8:32 pm

Start with good prep work, strip everything back to bare plastics and use filler primer, then wet and dry before white primer, and halfords do suzuki brilliant white for a top coat. Then do the light blue, and finally the dark blue. Then apply any vinyl stickers such as the gsxr logo and laquer over ther top. Basically work from the largest amount of colour down to the least. For example on mine for the main fairings I started with white, then blue and finally black, Then laquered over the top. You should look for aout 3 coats of filler, one primer, 2-3 top coat, 1 for colours and 2-3 of laquer for a good finish, using wet 2500 wet and dry inbetween colour coats but not on the last of each colour or for the laquer. I find that electrical tape is best for masking off, apply well and peel off ten mins after painting. Brown parsel paper is good for large areas too. Be sure to leave each fresh coat 24 hours before masking on top of it. And practice spraying before starting on your panels. There are plenty of spray painting guides out there. Also use petrol resistant laquer for the tank and leave it a week to set before filling it up again else the laquer will peel! I found that a pop up tent is very useful to paint in, but try and heat it up first. Hope this helps, If you need any help pm me =)

Jaicen
Familiar Member
Reactions:

Post by Jaicen » Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:32 pm

Thanks for the responses guys. I can paint pretty well, I know how it's done in that respect.
Do we think it's possible to get the decals cut, because I can't imagine masking it all free-hand.

karlos4
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by karlos4 » Tue Mar 20, 2012 3:36 pm

Ben, I would also be interested in a set of these decals if you still do them?
cheers